Jump to topic:

A Good PETA Laugh

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 2:24:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) sent a letter to the White House on Tuesday demanding President Obama skip the annual Thanksgiving turkey pardon.

While Obama will be preventing a turkey from being carved up, PETA called the ceremony outdated and accused the president of being in partnership with the "turkey-killing industry."

In a letter, the animal rights group argues the annual White House ceremony "makes light of the mass slaughter of some 46 million gentle, intelligent birds." It also says the annual event "portrays the United States president as being in some sort of business partnership with the turkey-killing industry."

"You understand so well that African-Americans, women, and members of the LGBT community have been poorly served throughout history, and now I am asking you to consider other living beings who are ridiculed, belittled, and treated as if their sentience, feelings, and very natures count for nothing," wrote PETA President Ingrid Newkirk in the letter.

The letter also objects to the idea that the birds could be pardoned, arguing "they are not guilty of anything other than being born into a world of prejudice."

The turkey pardon is a Thanksgiving tradition that harkens back to Abraham Lincoln, who, according to legend, wrote out a presidential pardon for a turkey at the insistence of his son, Tad Lincoln.

http://thehill.com...

Turkeys are born into a world of prejudice where people are bias towards the taste of their flesh. We massacre millions of "intelligent" birds for consumption...

Oh PETA... do they realize how ridiculous they sound? Do they prevent lions from eating gazelle? etc etc.

We eat animals, they need to get over that.

They did make me laugh though.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 2:52:09 PM
At 11/20/2012 2:49:36 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 11/20/2012 2:43:04 PM, WW wrote:
I'm just glad no-one takes PETA seriously.

I do.

When did you return Thadd?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 3:01:52 PM
At 11/20/2012 2:24:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) sent a letter to the White House on Tuesday demanding President Obama skip the annual Thanksgiving turkey pardon.

While Obama will be preventing a turkey from being carved up, PETA called the ceremony outdated and accused the president of being in partnership with the "turkey-killing industry."

In a letter, the animal rights group argues the annual White House ceremony "makes light of the mass slaughter of some 46 million gentle, intelligent birds." It also says the annual event "portrays the United States president as being in some sort of business partnership with the turkey-killing industry."

"You understand so well that African-Americans, women, and members of the LGBT community have been poorly served throughout history, and now I am asking you to consider other living beings who are ridiculed, belittled, and treated as if their sentience, feelings, and very natures count for nothing," wrote PETA President Ingrid Newkirk in the letter.

The letter also objects to the idea that the birds could be pardoned, arguing "they are not guilty of anything other than being born into a world of prejudice."

The turkey pardon is a Thanksgiving tradition that harkens back to Abraham Lincoln, who, according to legend, wrote out a presidential pardon for a turkey at the insistence of his son, Tad Lincoln.

Turkeys are born into a world of prejudice where people are bias towards the taste of their flesh. We massacre millions of "intelligent" birds for consumption...

Oh PETA... do they realize how ridiculous they sound? Do they prevent lions from eating gazelle? etc etc.

Lions are incapable of changing their habits; we are not. Rape and infanticide are rampant in animals, but I bet you don't stop animals from committing either.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 3:25:13 PM
At 11/20/2012 3:01:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Lions are incapable of changing their habits; we are not. Rape and infanticide are rampant in animals, but I bet you don't stop animals from committing either.

Should we all stop eating meat then?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:02:13 PM

The president should say "okay, I won't pardon them" then wack off their heads in front of the camera and wish PETA a happy new year.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:03:07 PM

"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:03:14 PM
At 11/20/2012 3:25:13 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Should we all stop eating meat then?

Yes
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:24:34 PM
Royal has a point. Just pointing to lions and saying "well they do it too" is retarded. It's unlikely anyone would actually take that to it's logical conclusion. Shitting in public, rape, killing others willy nilly, etc. Personally, I don't think it's wrong to eat meat, however human-exclusive rights theories are incoherent imo.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:30:24 PM
At 11/20/2012 10:24:34 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Royal has a point. Just pointing to lions and saying "well they do it too" is retarded. It's unlikely anyone would actually take that to it's logical conclusion. Shitting in public, rape, killing others willy nilly, etc. Personally, I don't think it's wrong to eat meat, however human-exclusive rights theories are incoherent imo.

Don't necessarily agree with human-exlusive right theories, but one could base a rights theory based on ability to communicate in language and use reasoning, in which humans are the only ones that can do that. I suppose the gorilla that learned sign language would be the exception to that rule though.

If we take non-human-exclusive right theories to its natural conclusion, then it would probably be permissible to kill humans, since humans contribute the most to animal extinction and ecological decay.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:36:46 PM
At 11/20/2012 10:30:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/20/2012 10:24:34 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Don't necessarily agree with human-exlusive right theories, but one could base a rights theory based on ability to communicate in language and use reasoning, in which humans are the only ones that can do that. I suppose the gorilla that learned sign language would be the exception to that rule though.

I think you could easily come up with ways to exclude animals but they would all seem rather arbitrary. Things that people seem to naturally take into account involve consciousness, sentience, intelligence, ability to feel pain, etc. these are things that overlap a lot between humans and animals with some animals falling within these categories and some humans not.

If we take non-human-exclusive right theories to its natural conclusion, then it would probably be permissible to kill humans, since humans contribute the most to animal extinction and ecological decay.

Perhaps but I think that kind of presupposes (a) giving all animals rights and (b) giving them the same rights as humans. I don't think (a) is something even PETA level activists support though (I could be mistaken). On (b), even if we give animals say the right not to be killed arbitrarily and a human kills an animal arbitrarily, I don't think that necessitates killing the human to stop them. It all depends on how you weight the rights. If we grant them rights that doesn't mean we automatically grant them equal rights.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 10:53:42 PM

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? omg
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 2:49:34 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:02:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The president should say "okay, I won't pardon them" then wack off their heads in front of the camera and wish PETA a happy new year.

LOL.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 6:20:22 AM
I find it interesting how a majority of people don't give a sh*t about the suffering of animals, and there's a small but increasing minority of people who, to varying degrees, do care a lot about the issue (PETA at one extreme end). It makes me wonder if there will be parallels in the future between, say, husbands beating their wives, which was socially acceptable until relatively recently, or corporal punishment in schools, or racist discrimination, and the inflicting of suffering on animals by humans.

My guess is that people will become much more socially outraged at animal suffering once we develop the technological capabilities to grow meat directly with having to slaughter animals, or something like that - i.e. when we can enjoy meat without having to go through the kinds of inefficient slaughtering processes we do now.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 7:27:25 AM
At 11/21/2012 6:20:22 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I find it interesting how a majority of people don't give a sh*t about the suffering of animals, and there's a small but increasing minority of people who, to varying degrees, do care a lot about the issue (PETA at one extreme end). It makes me wonder if there will be parallels in the future between, say, husbands beating their wives, which was socially acceptable until relatively recently, or corporal punishment in schools, or racist discrimination, and the inflicting of suffering on animals by humans.

My guess is that people will become much more socially outraged at animal suffering once we develop the technological capabilities to grow meat directly with having to slaughter animals, or something like that - i.e. when we can enjoy meat without having to go through the kinds of inefficient slaughtering processes we do now.

That's being worked on right now, actually.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 7:35:33 AM
At 11/21/2012 7:27:25 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
That's being worked on right now, actually.

Yeah. Good article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...

It should also help reduce world hunger, considering right now a large amount of our food is fed to other food. We'd have a lot more to go around if we took animals out of the food chain.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 8:01:55 AM
At 11/20/2012 3:22:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
meat IS murder.

It is very tasty murder.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 8:05:34 AM
At 11/20/2012 10:53:42 PM, phantom wrote:

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? omg

Stop hating on us omnivores.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 8:13:30 AM
At 11/21/2012 8:05:34 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

Humans in general are omnivores, including vegetarians. It's choice not digestive abilities.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 8:21:26 AM
At 11/21/2012 8:13:30 AM, Kinesis wrote:
At 11/21/2012 8:05:34 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

Humans in general are omnivores, including vegetarians. It's choice not digestive abilities.

Animals are not the equal to us humans. It is alright to kill and eat them unless they are endangered species.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 8:39:27 AM
At 11/21/2012 5:57:44 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
ConPo should end up on the WS for that, but let's see if Darkkermit and Ober send in his post.

Eh, I don't really send in much anymore, though I guess I could send this in.

Or HEY, here's an idea, why don't YOU send in things you think are stupid?!

O.O
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 8:53:26 AM
At 11/20/2012 2:49:36 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 11/20/2012 2:43:04 PM, WW wrote:
I'm just glad no-one takes PETA seriously.

I do.

What will you be having for dinner on Thanksgiving?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:01:40 AM
At 11/21/2012 8:21:26 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Animals are not the equal to us humans. It is alright to kill and eat them unless they are endangered species.

There's a lot of ambiguity in this. Equality in what respect? Animals feel pain, and many animals approach human intelligence to some degree. I own beagles, and I have a rough sense of how smart they are by living with them every day. I would be horrified at the prospect of killing one for food, because I have a genuine companionship with them. They yelp in pain when they step on a nettle, they jump in surprise when ambushed by the neighbourhood cat, they stretch in satisfaction when you scratch them behind the ears, they puzzle solve when they try to work out how to climb the kitchen shelves to reach the cereal. Is it really okay to kill animals, many of which are about as intelligent as a dog (pigs, for example), just because they aren't human? Not obvious to me.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:02:34 AM
At 11/20/2012 3:22:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
meat IS murder.

Then what do you flavor your red beans with?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:07:46 AM
At 11/21/2012 8:53:26 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
What will you be having for dinner on Thanksgiving?

I'll be having a hearty slab of homeless person myself.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:10:27 AM
At 11/21/2012 9:07:46 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I'll be having a hearty slab of homeless person myself.

Though I'm not American, so it won't be for any particular reason.