Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Time lapse of nuclear detonations

imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:27:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The video shows a time lapse of nuclear detonations from 1945 to 1988, its cool to watch, even entertaining at one point, and its just an interesting way to burn 15 minutes....

https://www.youtube.com...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 11:46:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I had no idea there had been so many test explosions...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 12:40:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love that Russia tests one then the USA goes nuts testing them.

The current score....
UK - 1
USSR - 3
USA - 45
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 12:54:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So... what we've learned.

1) China hates themselves.
2) France hates Africa.
3) England hates Australia (also, WTF were they doing testing nuclear bombs on US soil?!).
4) Russia hates themselves and they are idiots (why was not a single bomb tested out in Siberia or somewhere where there are no people? They only tested in western USSR which is where all their people are).
5) The US really really hates the south west and Japan (after bombing them we figured they'd like us more if we decided to test nuclear bombs on them after WW2 aswell).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 12:58:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Also, this should be viewed as proof that a nuclear war will not completely destroy the Earth, we've already survived 2,000+ tests, whats a few hundred more in a war?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 9:24:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 12:58:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Also, this should be viewed as proof that a nuclear war will not completely destroy the Earth, we've already survived 2,000+ tests, whats a few hundred more in a war?

2000 tests? Where's that number coming from?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 9:27:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 9:24:39 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 11/23/2012 12:58:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Also, this should be viewed as proof that a nuclear war will not completely destroy the Earth, we've already survived 2,000+ tests, whats a few hundred more in a war?

2000 tests? Where's that number coming from?

Nevermind
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 10:30:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
When they did the white dots I flipped out when it was Russia's and Americas turn.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 10:31:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 12:54:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So... what we've learned.

1) China hates themselves.
2) France hates Africa.

And the ocean.

3) England hates Australia (also, WTF were they doing testing nuclear bombs on US soil?!).
4) Russia hates themselves and they are idiots (why was not a single bomb tested out in Siberia or somewhere where there are no people? They only tested in western USSR which is where all their people are).
5) The US really really hates the south west and Japan (after bombing them we figured they'd like us more if we decided to test nuclear bombs on them after WW2 aswell).

You forget many of these tests happened underground.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 8:18:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 12:58:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Also, this should be viewed as proof that a nuclear war will not completely destroy the Earth, we've already survived 2,000+ tests, whats a few hundred more in a war?

These tests were with miniscule weapons by today's standards. There's no way to test the effects without killing ourselves in the process. We could detonate bombs out in space, many times larger than the Tsar Bomba, but that wouldn't tell us what the effects are of incinerating an entire country in a nuclear exchange.

http://www.ucsusa.org...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:38:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/23/2012 8:18:14 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/23/2012 12:58:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Also, this should be viewed as proof that a nuclear war will not completely destroy the Earth, we've already survived 2,000+ tests, whats a few hundred more in a war?

These tests were with miniscule weapons by today's standards. There's no way to test the effects without killing ourselves in the process. We could detonate bombs out in space, many times larger than the Tsar Bomba, but that wouldn't tell us what the effects are of incinerating an entire country in a nuclear exchange.

http://www.ucsusa.org...

"today"s thermonuclear weapons are much more powerful. An average U.S. weapon would explode with a yield of 300 kilotons of TNT."

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org...

The tsar bomba was a 50 megaton bomb (actually designed to be 100 megatons, but they scaled it down). 50 megatons is about 150 times more powerful than our current average.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:57:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/25/2012 5:19:42 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The close from "Dr. Strangelove"

One of my favorite films.

In response to the OP, at least those nuclear tests in the southwest led to the wonderfully mutated creation that is FREEDO!
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 6:03:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Nuclear tests are not an example of what a nuclear war would lead to. None of the tests targeted people. In an actual war, most populated places would be obliterated. The remaining people would be either affected by severely powerful radiation, or they'd have no means of survival because everything around them would be affected.

On a side note, there are less nuclear bombs than before, and there are good missile shields. In the future, space laser systems might be used to shut down rockets. Who knows, nuclear bombs could be nearly useless.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 6:04:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/25/2012 5:19:42 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The close from "Dr. Strangelove"

Love that movie, was originally supposed to be a serious film until he realized how absurd the entire situation was.

'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines'
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 6:09:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/25/2012 6:04:08 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Fvck you UK!

Hmm... So that's how that's how the platypus was created.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 6:26:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/25/2012 6:04:37 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 11/25/2012 5:19:42 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The close from "Dr. Strangelove"

Love that movie, was originally supposed to be a serious film until he realized how absurd the entire situation was.

'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines'

Yeah I love that movie too, especially how the fact that it was originally intended to be serious caused it to become utterly pitch black when turned into a comedy, like the realistically shot combat scene where US soldiers fight each other outside the base thinking they're fighting the enemy.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 8:28:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/25/2012 7:34:29 PM, drafterman wrote:
Jesus. No wonder they were so uptight in the 50's and did so many drugs in the 60's.

+1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 10:22:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/25/2012 5:38:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/23/2012 8:18:14 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/23/2012 12:58:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Also, this should be viewed as proof that a nuclear war will not completely destroy the Earth, we've already survived 2,000+ tests, whats a few hundred more in a war?

These tests were with miniscule weapons by today's standards. There's no way to test the effects without killing ourselves in the process. We could detonate bombs out in space, many times larger than the Tsar Bomba, but that wouldn't tell us what the effects are of incinerating an entire country in a nuclear exchange.

http://www.ucsusa.org...

"today"s thermonuclear weapons are much more powerful. An average U.S. weapon would explode with a yield of 300 kilotons of TNT."

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org...

The tsar bomba was a 50 megaton bomb (actually designed to be 100 megatons, but they scaled it down). 50 megatons is about 150 times more powerful than our current average.

Whoops I thought it was 300 megaton. At any rate, my point still stands - the amount of incineration that would follow a nuclear exchange would create enough smoke and soot to shorten growing seasons. And Since it would be cities getting destroyed, there would be lots of random pollutants in the air as well as nuclear fallout. It stands to reason there would be other unforeseen consequences.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 11:23:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Also I wanted to make the point that the Tsar Bomba was 50 years ago. The only practical limit to how big we can make a bomb is it's weight. It is thought that we could deliver a 1.3 gigaton bomb using the strongest plane we have. If it doesn't need to be flown, who knows?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 12:22:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
some cool comparisons of magnitude:

Magnitude/TNT equivalent - Example
1/1.1 kilograms - Dynamite
4/9.5 tons - Chernobyl
6/15 kilotons - Hiroshima
8/50 megatons - Tsar Bomba (largest nuke ever detonated
8.5/150 megatons - Three Sumatran earthquakes (2005, 2007, 2012)
9/1.3 gigatons - upper limit for air-transported nuclear warhead
9.5/2.7 gigatons - largest earthquake ever recorded (Chile, 1960)
12.5/100 teratons - Yucatan Peninsula impact, 65M years ago
23 or 32/310 billion, trillion tons of TNT (yottatons) - Starquake on magnetar SGR 1806-20 on 12/27/2004

The Yucatan impact killed off 90% of Earth's species. I'm guessing that means everything larger than a bug.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 11:35:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/27/2012 12:22:46 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
some cool comparisons of magnitude:

Magnitude/TNT equivalent - Example
1/1.1 kilograms - Dynamite
4/9.5 tons - Chernobyl
6/15 kilotons - Hiroshima
8/50 megatons - Tsar Bomba (largest nuke ever detonated
8.5/150 megatons - Three Sumatran earthquakes (2005, 2007, 2012)
9/1.3 gigatons - upper limit for air-transported nuclear warhead
9.5/2.7 gigatons - largest earthquake ever recorded (Chile, 1960)
12.5/100 teratons - Yucatan Peninsula impact, 65M years ago
23 or 32/310 billion, trillion tons of TNT (yottatons) - Starquake on magnetar SGR 1806-20 on 12/27/2004

??/ Ten octillion megatons of TNT, or ten trillion Tsar Bombas - Supernova
??/ Ten thousand octillion megatons of TNT, or ten thousand trillion Tsar Bombas - Hypernova
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 11:42:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/25/2012 10:22:50 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/25/2012 5:38:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/23/2012 8:18:14 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/23/2012 12:58:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Also, this should be viewed as proof that a nuclear war will not completely destroy the Earth, we've already survived 2,000+ tests, whats a few hundred more in a war?

These tests were with miniscule weapons by today's standards. There's no way to test the effects without killing ourselves in the process. We could detonate bombs out in space, many times larger than the Tsar Bomba, but that wouldn't tell us what the effects are of incinerating an entire country in a nuclear exchange.

http://www.ucsusa.org...

"today"s thermonuclear weapons are much more powerful. An average U.S. weapon would explode with a yield of 300 kilotons of TNT."

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org...

The tsar bomba was a 50 megaton bomb (actually designed to be 100 megatons, but they scaled it down). 50 megatons is about 150 times more powerful than our current average.

Whoops I thought it was 300 megaton. At any rate, my point still stands - the amount of incineration that would follow a nuclear exchange would create enough smoke and soot to shorten growing seasons. And Since it would be cities getting destroyed, there would be lots of random pollutants in the air as well as nuclear fallout. It stands to reason there would be other unforeseen consequences.

Yes there would be far more death and there would be unseen consequences (normally because if we were bombing some country on the other side of the world, we simply wouldn't care about the consequences), but it wouldn't be some kind of the entire earth is going to go into a nuclear winter ice age, not unless all 30,000+ nuclear bombs went off (and really, all nation governments would be unable to function after the first few hundred nuclear bombs).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"