Jump to topic:

Different Types of Anarchists

Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 12:55:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What are the differences between the different anarchist branches in theory, practice, organization etc.?
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:13:41 PM
The differences you speak of are different schools of thoughts of anarchism. Although all advocate anarchism/anarchy, they are largely different in the kind of anarchic society they advocate. Or, rather, their foci are different. The two bigger ones on here would probably be:

Anarcho-capitalism (Ancap): A school of thought that generally advocates an anarchic society in which all goods and services are provided via business and a market.

Anarcho-communism (Ancom): Basically the opposite. An anarchic society with all goods and services voluntarily collectivized and shared equally.

However, there are LOADS of others, like:
Anarcho-syndicalism
Anarcho-feminiism
Anarcho-primitivism
Queer anarchism
Voluntarism

The list goes on...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:18:57 PM
At 11/23/2012 1:13:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
The differences you speak of are different schools of thoughts of anarchism. Although all advocate anarchism/anarchy, they are largely different in the kind of anarchic society they advocate. Or, rather, their foci are different. The two bigger ones on here would probably be:

Anarcho-capitalism (Ancap): A school of thought that generally advocates an anarchic society in which all goods and services are provided via business and a market.

Anarcho-communism (Ancom): Basically the opposite. An anarchic society with all goods and services voluntarily collectivized and shared equally.

Anarcho-syndicalism
Anarcho-feminiism
Anarcho-primitivism
Queer anarchism
Voluntarism

The list goes on...

What is the difference between Ancom and Anarcho-syndicalism?
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:24:09 PM
At 11/23/2012 1:18:57 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 11/23/2012 1:13:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Anarcho-syndicalism
Anarcho-feminiism
Anarcho-primitivism
Queer anarchism
Voluntarism

The list goes on...

Well, I'll TRY and answer that, but I'm probably not the best source, as:
a) I'm no longer an anarchist.
b) When I was, I was a voluntarist/ancap.
c) I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the subject.

Ansyn generally supports a focus on labor, and self-management of society via labor unions, whereas ancom is more about full, complete canning of private property.

Danielle might be able to answer better, as I THINK she's an Ansyn.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 1:41:44 PM
At 11/23/2012 1:34:00 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
What da faq is queer anarchism?

It's basically a philosophy that says anarchism is the means of "liberating" the LGBT community.

Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 2:03:24 PM
I'm confused about mutualist anarchy
-Emma Goldman
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 2:48:45 PM
In the end, a voluntaryist society will not conform explicitly to any of those models. It will have components from each and include components that have not been prognosticated.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 5:28:54 PM
At 11/23/2012 1:18:57 PM, Yarely wrote:

I'd say they are more similar than different. While ansyn's obviously see the merits in voluntaryism, I think they also acknowledge that unregulated capitalism in a free market is essentially a pyramid scheme which would result in oppressive circumstances similar to the tyranny of the state. To combat that, ansyn's support a lot of pro-labor ideology such as utilizing democratic workplaces or having the market incorporate powerful labor unions on a mass scale (by say creating a system where everyone is unionized).

Some suggest that the long-term goal of anarcho-syndicalism is to abolish the wage system and class division. That may very well be the case with some ansyns. While I used to identify as one, I find discrepancies in certain terms (such as property) to be problematic, so I don't really feel comfortable labeling myself anymore. The closest I'll come is saying I'm a very pro-labor voluntaryist. I agree with a lot of ansyn premises. I guess going back to the OP's question, ansyn's acknowledge the problem with rampant capitalism, where I guess ancaps think that the problems don't exist or rather they would work themselves out under capitalist principles.
President of DDO