Jump to topic:

Tragedy of the Commons

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 7:57:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This thread is specifically aimed towards communists and other people who believe in collectivism (i.e., Charleslb and Royal).

One of the many things that I am thankful for is property rights. Property rights has done more to lift people out of poverty than any form of collectivism or communal living ever has, ever can, and ever will.

Consider this story:

I first heard that phrase in a story about shepherds who lived around a grassy area they called a commons. Since the shepherds shared this free, green grass, they grabbed as much of it as possible. They brought many more sheep to graze. Soon ... all the grass was gone. The sheep died, and the shepherds had nothing. Then then they divided the commons into parcels. Each shepherd owned one. Each had an incentive to limit the number of sheep that grazed on his grass. Prosperity happened, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com...

In New York City, Central Park and Bryant Park were desolate places...until their management was taken over by private organizations. Daniel Biederman, whose company revitalized Bryant Park and did the same for Boston Common, the nation's oldest public park, will debate public vs private with Boston journalist Shirley Kressel, who says privately run parks are a mistake.

Watch the following video (I know it is long, but watch at least part of it). John Stossel gives good explanation of how private property is best.

The next time someone says that public property is better and that we should have "communal" or "communist" living, consider this: Public toilets.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 11:28:16 AM
At 11/26/2012 7:57:24 AM, Microsuck wrote:
This thread is specifically aimed towards communists and other people who believe in collectivism (i.e., Charleslb and Royal).

One of the many things that I am thankful for is property rights. Property rights has done more to lift people out of poverty than any form of collectivism or communal living ever has, ever can, and ever will.

Consider this story:

I first heard that phrase in a story about shepherds who lived around a grassy area they called a commons. Since the shepherds shared this free, green grass, they grabbed as much of it as possible. They brought many more sheep to graze. Soon ... all the grass was gone. The sheep died, and the shepherds had nothing. Then then they divided the commons into parcels. Each shepherd owned one. Each had an incentive to limit the number of sheep that grazed on his grass. Prosperity happened, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com...

In New York City, Central Park and Bryant Park were desolate places...until their management was taken over by private organizations. Daniel Biederman, whose company revitalized Bryant Park and did the same for Boston Common, the nation's oldest public park, will debate public vs private with Boston journalist Shirley Kressel, who says privately run parks are a mistake.

Watch the following video (I know it is long, but watch at least part of it). John Stossel gives good explanation of how private property is best.

The next time someone says that public property is better and that we should have "communal" or "communist" living, consider this: Public toilets.

The computer I'm on is bizarre, so I couldn't watch the video.

The shepherd thing is sort of why I don't think large scale communism would be successful, but I still think small communities could meet with success.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 12:00:19 PM
Elinor Ostrom devised 8 plausible-sounding rules/principles for managing collective property.
===========================================================

1. Define clear group boundaries.

2. Match rules governing use of common goods to local needs and conditions.

3. Ensure that those affected by the rules can participate in modifying the rules.

4. Make sure the rule-making rights of community members are respected by outside authorities.

5. Develop a system, carried out by community members, for monitoring members" behavior.

6. Use graduated sanctions for rule violators.

7. Provide accessible, low-cost means for dispute resolution.

8. Build responsibility for governing the common resource in nested tiers from the lowest level up to the entire interconnected system.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.