Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Where YYW Stand on Ten More Various Issues

YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)

2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.

3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.

4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.

5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.

6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.

7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.

8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.

9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.

10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."
Tsar of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:21:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)
What does liberty have to do with having the State recognize and provide benefits?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:23:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)

MouthWash concurs. Assuming, of course, that the type of relationship is healthy and capable of having stable family units.

2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.

MouthWash also supports radical education reform, although he does not know how the German and Finnish systems operate.

3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.

MouthWash concurs, except in regards to where such romanticization is necessary to instill a sense of basic national pride (such as in George Washington's case).

4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.

MouthWash disagrees.

5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.

MouthWash offers no comment.

6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.

MouthWash concurs, but expresses his belief that even fools and drunkards have basic unalienable rights that should not be trampled on in most cases.

7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.

MouthWash believes in mixed markets as well, but considerably freer than YYW's vision and without progressive tax.

8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.

MouthWash offers no comment.

9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.

MouthWash concurs.

10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."

MouthWash needs to read his Marx.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:37:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process."
Burrito disagrees.

4
Burrito is confused as to the reasoning behind this.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:45:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)

Translation: Gay couples should be given government rewards that single people don't get.

2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.

State run education is a fail. Leave it to private schools, home schooling, or locally run schools. Abolish the Department of Education, it does nothing but create indoctrination factories and wasteful spending.

3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.

Ok... sure...

4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.

Translation: Force children to enter indoctrination facilities at an early age for 12 years and tell them what to wear. Compete with North Korea to see who can get more worship. Kim Jong Il or Barack Husein Obama.

5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.

That's good.

6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.

I oppose the idea that other people know whats best for me and force me to do what they think is best.

No, you let people succeed or fail based on their own terms. At least let them try. You being a dictator only makes things worse.

7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.

Terrible economics, Keynesianism is proven failure. How about a fair tax, a national consumption tax. By default the rich will pay more in taxes because they will buy more. A poor person who buys a bread loaf gets taxed 15 cents on their purchase, a rich person who buys a Mercedes gets taxed $15,000 on their purchase.

8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.

It's a real and imminent concern.

9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.

Feminism sucks. Except Naomi Wolf, she's cool.

.
.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 5:33:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:37:52 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process."
Burrito disagrees.

4
Burrito is confused as to the reasoning behind this.

The reason is because clothes of differing styles are distracting and breed disunity. Uniforms indicate a common purpose and do not precipitate disunity. While perhaps all children are unique, their purpose in schools is not. They are there to learn. Science. Mathematics. History. Philosophy. Literature. Languages. Logic. Rhetoric. Composition. These would be the subjects taught were I in control of graduation requirements. This is not an exhaustive list, though.
Tsar of DDO
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 5:38:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
YYW = Yeah, yeah, whatever.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 5:41:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 5:38:40 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
YYW = Yeah, yeah, whatever.

http://www.urbandictionary.com...

http://www.urbandictionary.com...!

Either of these could be the case, depending on who I'm dealing with.
Tsar of DDO
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 5:47:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 5:41:53 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/29/2012 5:38:40 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
YYW = Yeah, yeah, whatever.

http://www.urbandictionary.com...

http://www.urbandictionary.com...!

Either of these could be the case, depending on who I'm dealing with.

YYW
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 5:48:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 5:47:40 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 11/29/2012 5:41:53 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/29/2012 5:38:40 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
YYW = Yeah, yeah, whatever.

http://www.urbandictionary.com...

http://www.urbandictionary.com...!

Either of these could be the case, depending on who I'm dealing with.

YYW

lol
Tsar of DDO
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 12:06:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Logic has decided he is interested in YYW's stances on issues. Logic will type as he feels the wish to.

At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)

2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.

Logic concurs with the idea. Logic wishes to know the specifics of the reforms YYW advocates. Logic also wishes to know whether YYW still likes a form of Japanese education, as he did previously. Logic wishes YYW to elaborate.

3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.

Logic considers the romanticisation of history to be acceptable for temporary enjoyment and the propagation of useful values (such as honour) , although he believes that the second this romanticised version is not understood to be romonaticised (ie. accepted as true) then problems will occur.

4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.

Logic wholeheartedly agrees that students should wear uniforms, although dislikes wearing ties and the like on humid 30 degree Celsius days. Logic agrees on the point of formalised education, so long as the formal education is not such a shambles as to be detrimental.

5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.

6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.

Logic asks YYW if he would deign to discuss this matter further. Logic generally agrees with this statement, although somewhat questions the 'brilliance' of authority given his own ability to do things somewhat productively. Logic wonders on the specifics of implementing this belief, aside from the aforementioned formal instruction.

7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.

Logic concurs although his understanding of the Clinton years is sub-optimal.

8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.

9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.

10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."

Logic also wishes to note that if YYW wishes to discuss these matters in first person then Logic will be happy to do so as well.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 12:24:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)
Amen.
2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.
I couldn't comment intelligently on that.
3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.
I'm not sure how you romanticize something thats already historical fantasy, but I guess I agree that we don't romanticize history...
4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.
This one's interesting it's not an issue I've really thought about.
5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.
Fair.
6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.
Tentatively agree.
7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.
Perfect.
8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.
This one I don't want to comment on.
9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.
Understandable.
10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."
Alright.
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 12:46:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)

2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.

3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.


So far so good.

4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.


So you believe that creativity and competition are not a vital part of childhood?

Was someone picked on :)

5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.

6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.


Doing better :)

7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.

8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.

9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.


How so?

10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:02:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Regarding my Support for Gay Marriage:
-Mouthwash will be happy to know that there has been no evidence that children raised by homosexual parents are (1) any more likely to become homosexuals or (2) any less likely to be well adjusted. In a similar vein, the research that has been done in this ares does tend to indicate that the most common element which produces well adjusted and productive kids is parental love and support -where kids know that their parents want them, support them and care about them. Oddly enough, this is something that is statistically higher with adopting parents generally then biological ones. Something to consider, at least. In my own experience, I have seen happy gay couples married -some of whom were together for many years before gay marriage was recognized- and I have seen divorces. That to say this, I don't think there's much difference between the relationships, accordingly.
-I understand Geo's concern about government in marriage, but -though I'm fairly sure Geo would disagree- am equally cautious about the pragmatism of removing government from that social sphere abruptly or at all. On that aspect, I still vacillate in where I stand.

Regarding my position on educational reform:
-Logic, I do like the Japanese educational system but am skeptical about the probability of the imposition of such a system in the United States because of the vast cultural differences between both. In many ways, Japan is both a conformist and conservative society in ways that America simply is not. Best example? (This is not a rule, only based on conversations with Japanese friends of mine) It would be culturally unacceptable to talk politics in most settings. This is the case because the idea of disunity is something that is culturally irreconcilable to most Japanese people. There is equally a sense of what appears to me to be solidarity to me that stems from an inherited sense of honor which is -perhaps- the most remarkable thing I have ever seen in any human society. This is a culture where old people volunteer to clean up nuclear waste that younger ones may live on in and without harm to their health. This is a culture where personal sacrifice is not only valorized, but expected from its citizens. In America, those ideas just don't jive -especially with American kids. I'm not saying that it couldn't change, only that it's not likely to happen any time soon and it would require a systemic overhaul the means of which would likely alienate most if not all Americans. What I like about Germany -specifically- is how based on aptitude individuals are sent to schools which produce adequate ratios of workers and white collars. Some students attend realschule and learn a trade. Others attend gymnasium and pursue a liberal arts education. In america, trade school never took off. There was a shift in the 1960s where blue collar work somehow became "less than" that of managerial labor. LBJ is who I blame for this; and equally who I blame for the orientation of the present US educational system towards the end of "every child attending college." This is nonsense. Not every child is capable of making it through college and college need not accommodate. 7/10 students graduate high school (or less) and less than 1/2 of all who enroll in 4 yr colleges will actually get their bachelors degrees. Enter, a new generation of indentured servants -or better yet, serfs. It is this result that I am trying to reform here, because this phenomenon doesn't happen in Europe. Also, college should be nearly free to students and paid for by government -such as how Europe does it.

Regarding romanticizing historical fantasy:
-I'm surprised that so many of you (mouthwash) don't agree with this. I suppose you've read some Plato and think that he got the "stories" aspect of education right. Meh. I'm more of the idea that the truth and only the truth should be taught. It should not be attached to sentiment. That is me, however.

School Uniforms:
-Actually, I was never really bullied. I never told anyone who attended my high school -except for a very select few- that I liked guys and that, in combination with the fact that I was pretty muscular at the time (I played football -went to American high school, btw.) never really led to anyone picking on me at all. I did, however, throughout my primary education, see kids picked on for all sorts of stupid reasons -such as being fat, too smart, involved in various "uncool" activities -band- and etc. The thing about uniforms is more that kids need not try to worry about what to wear. Clothes can be distracting. Individuality isn't something that students should really have. The point is not to express who you are, it's to facilitate the learning of material that you may understand who you are. Just my thoughts...

Regarding the idea that people don't know what's best for themselves:
-It was reading Foucault that changed my mind on this one. Granted, Foucault never makes the claim that power-knowledge should be the basis on which people are subjectified, but rather that this is the case. What does that mean to what I was saying? People have their specialities. Some are doctors. Some are lawyers. Some are business executives. Jenji Kohan would be pleased that I'm using the "little boxes" theme from her show. ha. ha. ha. Anyway, a plumber is not in a position to know what he should do to cure his cancer. A lawyer is not in a position to know how to resolve his flooded bathroom. A doctor is not in a position to know how to defend himself in his malpractice suit. In the same right, of those three, perhaps only the lawyer has any real ability to write good laws for a legislature. That is not to say that all are incapable of making good decisions, only that the best decision requires "help." I am really tempted to point to the Socratic "just city" here, and then move into ripping apart the worthless fvck that was Aristotle. But I'll save that for another day...

I'll post more on feminism and commodity fetishism later.
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:36:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/30/2012 7:02:52 AM, YYW wrote:
Regarding my Support for Gay Marriage:
-Mouthwash will be happy to know that there has been no evidence that children raised by homosexual parents are (1) any more likely to become homosexuals or (2) any less likely to be well adjusted. In a similar vein, the research that has been done in this ares does tend to indicate that the most common element which produces well adjusted and productive kids is parental love and support -where kids know that their parents want them, support them and care about them. Oddly enough, this is something that is statistically higher with adopting parents generally then biological ones. Something to consider, at least. In my own experience, I have seen happy gay couples married -some of whom were together for many years before gay marriage was recognized- and I have seen divorces. That to say this, I don't think there's much difference between the relationships, accordingly.

Don't go down this path. You what happens. I'll give you a hint: [http://debate.org...]

I am really tempted to point to the Socratic "just city" here, and then move into ripping apart the worthless fuck that was Aristotle. But I'll save that for another day...

You can't be serious? You aren't serious now. I hope so.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:37:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/30/2012 11:36:08 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 11/30/2012 7:02:52 AM, YYW wrote:
Regarding my Support for Gay Marriage:
-Mouthwash will be happy to know that there has been no evidence that children raised by homosexual parents are (1) any more likely to become homosexuals or (2) any less likely to be well adjusted. In a similar vein, the research that has been done in this ares does tend to indicate that the most common element which produces well adjusted and productive kids is parental love and support -where kids know that their parents want them, support them and care about them. Oddly enough, this is something that is statistically higher with adopting parents generally then biological ones. Something to consider, at least. In my own experience, I have seen happy gay couples married -some of whom were together for many years before gay marriage was recognized- and I have seen divorces. That to say this, I don't think there's much difference between the relationships, accordingly.

Don't go down this path. You know what happens. I'll give you a hint: [http://debate.org...]

I am really tempted to point to the Socratic "just city" here, and then move into ripping apart the worthless fuck that was Aristotle. But I'll save that for another day...

You can't be serious? You aren't serious now. I hope so.

*fixed
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
lannan13
Posts: 23,029
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 12:26:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)
Lannan13 is against gay marriage.
2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.
Lannan13 agrees
3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.
Lannan13 demands a history reformed look into the USSR
4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.
Lannan13 agrees
5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.
Lannan13 thinks Romney picked the wrong runnin' mate.
6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.
Lannan13 likes that idea.
7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.
Lannan13 believes in Lassie-Fair econ, and a Flat tax system
8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.
Lannan13 is tired too bout herein' bout the fiscal cliff.
9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.
Lannan13 thinks feminism is a bad arguement,
10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."
?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:26:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/30/2012 11:37:08 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 11/30/2012 11:36:08 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 11/30/2012 7:02:52 AM, YYW wrote:
Regarding my Support for Gay Marriage:
-Mouthwash will be happy to know that there has been no evidence that children raised by homosexual parents are (1) any more likely to become homosexuals or (2) any less likely to be well adjusted. In a similar vein, the research that has been done in this ares does tend to indicate that the most common element which produces well adjusted and productive kids is parental love and support -where kids know that their parents want them, support them and care about them. Oddly enough, this is something that is statistically higher with adopting parents generally then biological ones. Something to consider, at least. In my own experience, I have seen happy gay couples married -some of whom were together for many years before gay marriage was recognized- and I have seen divorces. That to say this, I don't think there's much difference between the relationships, accordingly.

Don't go down this path. You know what happens. I'll give you a hint: [http://debate.org...]

I am really tempted to point to the Socratic "just city" here, and then move into ripping apart the worthless fuck that was Aristotle. But I'll save that for another day...

You can't be serious? You aren't serious now. I hope so.

*fixed

Yeah, I'll have a look at your debate with Danielle. And I'm not a fan of Aristotle really. Does this surprise you?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:27:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/30/2012 12:26:59 PM, lannan13 wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)
Lannan13 is against gay marriage.
2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.
Lannan13 agrees
3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.
Lannan13 demands a history reformed look into the USSR
4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.
Lannan13 agrees
5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.
Lannan13 thinks Romney picked the wrong runnin' mate.
6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.
Lannan13 likes that idea.
7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.
Lannan13 believes in Lassie-Fair econ, and a Flat tax system
8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.
Lannan13 is tired too bout herein' bout the fiscal cliff.
9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.
Lannan13 thinks feminism is a bad arguement,
10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."
?

I'm rather beginning to like these threads. :)
Tsar of DDO
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 4:51:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Logic believes it is now acceptable to post in first person.

With regard to the Japanese culture, it truly is a fascinating one that is deserving of praise. With regard to your point about honour, it's actually interesting to trace what might be called 'the history of honour' . Now, to detail this properly would take too long, but suffice to say one might consider there to be (oversimplifying) 2 types of honour - individual and societal. In the modern age people, if they have honour, have it as a sort of individual honour about being the best they can be. In older times the aspect of 'duty' , 'responsibility' and the general expectations of society was far stronger. Optimally both forms of honour should exist. In Japan it is very clear, that unlike other societies, there is a strong sense of civic duty and respect.

As to the points about Germany and how college should be subsidised, we agree.

With regard to people knowing what's best for themselves, I think my main concern is what this view leads to. We can agree that a doctor can cure a disease better than a lawyer (we should certainly hope so!) . That doesn't mean that the lawyer doesn't know that. The lawyer could recognise that what's best for him is to see the doctor and be cured by him. In that sense he does know what's best.

Now, I recognise that this isn't always the case. I'd be the first to support government advertising and education advising people where to go to get help, how to reach the best decision etc. While being self-sufficient and capable is admirable, it is clear that it's not possible in all areas. Government help is a very good idea in these instances. What I am concerned about, as said prior, is whether this idea is used to justify other policy. If the statement is merely meant by itself, then I broadly agree. If it's used as a form of justification for other policies? I have to begin to question it, on the grounds mentioned above.

With regard to historical fantasy, I did say that the truth should never be forgotten; if that happens a serious issue has occurred. However, romanticisation may breed useful civic values. Also, romanticisation of history can actually increase retention of history knowledge, depending on what cues are required to recall the information. Since retention of knowledge is an aim of education we ought to prefer that which assists with this.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 10:43:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)

Yep.


2. YYW advocates radical educational reform in the United States. US education should rather than operate as it does, follow in the lead of Germany and/or Finland.

Education reform, yes. In this way, no.


3. YYW viscerally opposes the romanticization of historical fantasy, specifically any such notions regarding the USSR.

Romanticization is generally a bad thing.

4. YYW believes that children in schools should be required to wear uniforms until grade 9, that all should be required to complete 12 years of formalized instruction -on penalty of military service- and be sufficiently prepared either for entry into the work-force or for higher education for the process.

Disagreed.


5. YYW hates Paul Ryan and others like him.

Agreed :)


6. YYW opposes the idea that people know what is best for themselves.

Completely disagree.


7. YYW believes in mixed markets, a redistributive tax system and a progressive tax similar to that under the Clinton years.

Disagree. Don't agree with the income tax.


8. YYW is tired of hearing about fiscal cliffs.

Same here


9. YYW thinks feminism has betrayed itself.

Definitely.


10. YYW is amused by the concept of "commodity fetichism."

Not exactly sure what this is.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 11:23:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why do you feel the need to get on top of the soap box and let us all know where you stand? Why do you think we care?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 11:14:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/29/2012 2:21:18 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)
What does liberty have to do with having the State recognize and provide benefits?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 11:23:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/1/2012 11:14:16 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 11/29/2012 2:21:18 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/29/2012 2:01:55 PM, YYW wrote:
1. YYW openly and candidly advocates for the liberty of individuals to live in a recognized relationship which confers benefits tantamount among all couples regardless of the sex of either in the pair. (YYW does not see this as a controversial position at all.)
What does liberty have to do with having the State recognize and provide benefits?

I'm thinking of liberty in a positive sense here, as in the "freedom to," rather than what I'm fairly sure you're thinking of it as "freedom from [various government activities, etc.]." Positive liberty, then, opens the range of choices an individual is free to make, rather than necessitating the limitation of their opportunities in situational or circumstantial limitation. The problem, though, is when people perceive that the advantage of others is at their expense. I don't see the world as zero-sum in that regard.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 11:24:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/1/2012 11:23:56 AM, quarterexchange wrote:
Why do you feel the need to get on top of the soap box and let us all know where you stand? Why do you think we care?

I didn't ask you to read, or even to reply. That is a choice you made for yourself. You had the freedom to ignore this thread... oh well.
Tsar of DDO