Jump to topic:

Confucius Utterly Destroys Modern Liberalism

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:30:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
-- Confucius
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:36:44 PM
At 12/5/2012 7:34:24 PM, Mr_Anon wrote:
How the hell does this "destroy modern liberalism"?

Why should wealth, prosperity, and being smart/successful be something to be ashamed of?

Plus, US is capitalist last I checked.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:37:39 PM

He's an idiot that has exhausted his conspiracy theories and now needs attention to feel relevant.

Maybe if we ignore him he'll go away.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:41:45 PM
At 12/5/2012 7:36:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Why should wealth, prosperity, and being smart/successful be something to be ashamed of?

Ignore this one too. He's a hack that doesn't seem to understand how much of a hack he really is. All of his political posts are intellectually bankrupt, impulsive defenses of partisan and ideological dogma. And if you argue with him, a good 5 minutes in should make it abundantly clear that he isn't interested in finding anything true. He's interested in making the Republican party, or even the most dimwitted of conservative talking points, look good.....a goal that he more often than not, destroys for himself.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mr_Anon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:42:55 PM

The liberal counter would be that poverty comes from a lack of a social safety net or, as the quote would put it, bad governance.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:44:55 PM
At 12/5/2012 7:41:45 PM, 000ike wrote:

Cop out, cop out, fluff, ad hominems, ignore me cause I'm just a hack that fails to realize it. Example: I can't find one thing I dislike abut the Great Obama(peace be upon him).

I agreed.

Mr_Anon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:45:19 PM

Ignore this one too. He's a hack that doesn't seem to understand how much of a hack he really is. All of his political posts are intellectually bankrupt, impulsive defenses of partisan and ideological dogma. And if you argue with him, a good 5 minutes in should make it abundantly clear that he isn't interested in finding anything true. He's interested in making the Republican party, or even the most dimwitted of conservative talking points, look good.....a goal that he more often than not, destroys for himself.

Meh, I made my reply before I saw your post here.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:47:15 PM
At 12/5/2012 7:42:55 PM, Mr_Anon wrote:

The liberal counter would be that poverty comes from a lack of a social safety net or, as the quote would put it, bad governance.

Which is where the statistics debate comes in.

Mr_Anon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 7:57:47 PM
At 12/5/2012 7:47:15 PM, OberHerr wrote:

If it comes to that then the quote hardly "destroys modern liberalism", no? I'm not going to have an economics debate here, but the quote Geolaurite posted is hardly relevant to the issue at hand.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:00:13 PM
At 12/5/2012 7:57:47 PM, Mr_Anon wrote:

If it comes to that then the quote hardly "destroys modern liberalism", no? I'm not going to have an economics debate here, but the quote Geolaurite posted is hardly relevant to the issue at hand.

Oberherr doesn't care. This is how his brain works.

1) He sees thread that says something negative about liberalism
2) Therefore it doesn't really matter to him if the argument is valid
3) Therefore he will mindlessly defend it

If you still want to "reason" with him. Good luck
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:01:26 PM
At 12/5/2012 7:30:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
-- Confucius

I oppose liberalism, but I don't see how this refutes liberalism.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:05:04 PM
Like, Confucius would not be advocating a free market. Confucius was a communitarian, and not a philosophical liberal. Both libertarianism and liberalism were anathema to his thinking.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:07:26 PM

Ignore this one too. He's a hack that doesn't seem to understand how much of a hack he really is. All of his political posts are intellectually bankrupt, impulsive defenses of partisan and unideological dogma. And if you argue with him, a good 5 minutes in should make it abundantly clear that he isn't interested in finding anything true. He's interested in making the Democratic party, or even the most dimwitted of liberal talking points, look good.....a goal that he more often than not, destroys for himself.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Mr_Anon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:07:30 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:01:26 PM, 16kadams wrote:
-- Confucius

Finally someone understands the point I was trying to make.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:08:50 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:05:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Like, Confucius would not be advocating a free market. Confucius was a communitarian, and not a philosophical liberal. Both libertarianism and liberalism were anathema to his thinking.

I must interject here and say Royal that Confucius believed that the "aura of the emperor", his values and behavior, would radiate to the people living around them. He thought this would happen naturally, he was not a totalitarian, much opposed to the Legalist doctrine. Confucius did support the nuclear family though, but that's not big government.

I've done some projects regarding this area.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:10:59 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:07:30 PM, Mr_Anon wrote:
At 12/5/2012 8:01:26 PM, 16kadams wrote:
-- Confucius

Finally someone understands the point I was trying to make.

Don't listen to me, I'm a hack like Ober.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:11:39 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:00:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/5/2012 7:57:47 PM, Mr_Anon wrote:

Oberherr doesn't care. This is how his brain works.

1) He sees thread that says something negative about liberalism
2) Therefore it doesn't really matter to him if the argument is valid
3) Therefore he will mindlessly defend it

If you still want to "reason" with him. Good luck

Well, imo it does. :)

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:15:55 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:08:50 PM, Contra wrote:
At 12/5/2012 8:05:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I must interject here and say Royal that Confucius believed that the "aura of the emperor", his values and behavior, would radiate to the people living around them. He thought this would happen naturally, he was not a totalitarian, much opposed to the Legalist doctrine. Confucius did support the nuclear family though, but that's not big government.

I've done some projects regarding this area.

Confucius believed that people have roles to fulfill in society and that it is their duty to fulfill them regardless of their beliefs. He claims that people have duties to do things simply by virtue of being members of society. That is communitarianism. The totalitarianism in Confucian doctrine centers around forcing people into having these "moral" duties for no reason.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:21:25 PM

+1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:24:13 PM
Maybe not destroy, but I see it as a good example for why I think its fail.

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:33:10 PM

Ignore this one too. He's a hack that doesn't seem to understand how much of a hack he really is. All of his political posts are intellectually bankrupt, impulsive defenses of partisan and ideological dogma. And if you argue with him, a good 5 minutes in should make it abundantly clear that he isn't interested in finding anything true. He's interested in making the Democratic party, or even the most dimwitted of liberal talking points, look good.....a goal that he more often than not, destroys for himself.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:34:02 PM
Ragnar you're a dlck.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:35:52 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:34:02 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Ragnar you're a dlck.

ignore this dude, he's an idiot. ragnar you're awesome.
signature
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:42:47 PM

Welfare =/= safety net

Safety nets are good because if you fall from an unexpected event youre supposed to land on and bounce right back on to your feet. Welfare you stick to the net and get dependent on it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 9:06:27 PM
At 12/5/2012 8:33:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Ignore this one too. He's a hack that doesn't seem to understand how much of a hack he really is. All of his political posts are intellectually bankrupt, impulsive defenses of partisan and ideological dogma. And if you argue with him, a good 5 minutes in should make it abundantly clear that he isn't interested in finding anything true. He's interested in making the Democratic party, or even the most dimwitted of liberal talking points, look good.....a goal that he more often than not, destroys for himself.

no. Fail.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 9:09:46 PM
At 12/5/2012 9:06:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/5/2012 8:33:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:

no. Fail.

Is that an argument?
: