Fox News funding Petraeus Presidential run

emj32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 11:45:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Basically, back in spring of 2011, Roger Ailes(chairman of Fox), sent an analyst over to Afghanistan(Kathleen McFarland), to relay a message from Ailes to Petraeus. The audio of the message is in the link, but I'll post some important/interesting points below

-Petraeus says "I love Roger", which McFarland replies "I know, he loves you too, everybody at Fox loves you"

-McFarland then goes on to say "Is there anything Fox is doing right or wrong that you want us to do anything". Now think about this, a "Fair and Balanced" NEWS network, asking Petraeus what he wants Fox to say about him. That's not news, that's a propaganda machine that's within the pocket of the Pentagon.

-Petraeus says softly "I'm not running"

-McFarland then says "If you're offered Chairman take it, if you're offered anything else don't take it. Resign in 6 months and run for president".

-Petraeus then says "Rupert's after me too", obviously referring to Rupert Murdoch

-McFarland then confirms that if Petraeus we're too take Roger's offer, Ailes would QUIT has head of Fox to run Petraeus's campaign against Obama. Remember folks, Fair & Balanced.

-McFarland then says "The big boss would be bankrolling it". That refers to Murdoch.

By the way, this has all been confirmed by Ailes and Fox. Ailes even gave a quote saying "I thought the Republican field needed to be shaken up and Petraeus might be a good candidate." (Remember this was during the primaries).

This is so sad, that America's #1 cable "news" network, in terms of ratings, is essentially a conservative think-tank and propaganda machine.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:37:17 PM
CNN was founded and run by super-leftist Ted Turner. The New York Times has been heavily involved in left-wing politics forever. PBS is run directly by the government.

I think the concept of a totally unbiased news media is a wonderful ideal, but it has never happened. Notice all the newspapers that have "Democrat" or "Republican" in their names, a remnant of past times in which newspapers were openly and wildly partisan.

After WWII here was a period of unusual bipartisanship as a consequence of everyone supporting the War. The G.W.Bush/Bob Dole guys were the last of that era, and fierce partisanship has reasserted itself.

It's a free country so long as Ted Turner, Rupert Murdoch, George Soros, and the Koch brothers can do as they wish.
emj32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:47:54 PM
At 12/6/2012 12:37:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
CNN was founded and run by super-leftist Ted Turner. The New York Times has been heavily involved in left-wing politics forever. PBS is run directly by the government.

NYT is definitely liberal. I actually haven't noticed as much bias in CNN as I have seen in recent years. If there is any, which I'm sure there is, its not on the level Fox and MSNBC is.

I think the concept of a totally unbiased news media is a wonderful ideal, but it has never happened. Notice all the newspapers that have "Democrat" or "Republican" in their names, a remnant of past times in which newspapers were openly and wildly partisan.

Unfortunately you're right. It's what's ruining American politics and the average intelligence of voters. I just find it absurd the largest news network in the US is going so far as to entirely fund and run a campaign for a Republican. Don't get me wrong, it would be equally disastrous if it was MSNBC doing this for a left-candidate.

The one part that made me furious was when McFarland asked Petraeus is "there was anything he wanted Fox to say differently". Excuse me, you are a NEWS network, or you say you are. It is not part of the news to ask people what they WANT you to say about them. You are supposed to report the news as equal and non-partisan as possible. Basically, Fox is conforming and reporting based upon what their donors and politicians are telling them to say.

After WWII here was a period of unusual bipartisanship as a consequence of everyone supporting the War. The G.W.Bush/Bob Dole guys were the last of that era, and fierce partisanship has reasserted itself.

Yep, and with the Citizens United ruling, I don't see this era coming to an end anytime soon.

It's a free country so long as Ted Turner, Rupert Murdoch, George Soros, and the Koch brothers can do as they wish.

Free for the bankers and wall-street donors of the two party system. As for the average voter, the only thing they can expect is completely partisan propaganda.