Jump to topic:

Republicans And Redneck Culture *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 11:05:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Have you guys heard about this new show. I believe that West Virgina for the most part, is a very decent place to live. However, this is a very polarizing demographic in our nation today.
And there is a sense of shame that comes with that Southern Pride. Check out this website
below and let me know what you think. Is this kind of behavior good or bad for our
society. Or is this just life. =)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 12:19:59 PM
At 12/14/2012 11:05:57 AM, inferno wrote:
Have you guys heard about this new show. I believe that West Virgina for the most part, is a very decent place to live. However, this is a very polarizing demographic in our nation today.
And there is a sense of shame that comes with that Southern Pride. Check out this website
below and let me know what you think. Is this kind of behavior good or bad for our

The behavior is neither good nor bad. It is.

Southern pride is something that I could make fun of until the end of days. The glorification of the -few- battles the south saw success in, the memorializing of the "confederate troops" who "gave their lives" in defense of.... well... SLAVERY. It's obscene, but another subject.

I think that the senator from WV protested, and rightly so, but I don't see the point. His state is a joke. They have coal mines and rednecks. No more. This show, however, I think is good for society. It portrays a certain subculture within the greater americana for the joke that it is.
Tsar of DDO
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 2:00:37 PM
Haha I watched the trailer and I have to say if you congregated my childhood experiences they would look pretty close to that. At least where I live that stuffs common And I'm absolutely sure its common in west Virginia.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 3:55:10 PM
At 12/14/2012 12:19:59 PM, YYW wrote:

Southern pride is something that I could make fun of until the end of days. The glorification of the -few- battles the south saw success in, the memorializing of the "confederate troops" who "gave their lives" in defense of.... well... SLAVERY.

Civil war was not over slavery; it was over secession. They gave their lives in order to gain independence.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 4:01:52 PM
At 12/14/2012 3:55:10 PM, DanT wrote:

Southern pride is something that I could make fun of until the end of days. The glorification of the -few- battles the south saw success in, the memorializing of the "confederate troops" who "gave their lives" in defense of.... well... SLAVERY.

Civil war was not over slavery; it was over secession. They gave their lives in order to gain independence.

+ infinity. Wall of win.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 4:12:19 PM

Secession (effect) was the result of a fear of Republicans in congress abolishing slavery (cause), not the other way around. Confederate troops gave their lives to protect the economic interests of a plantar -plantation owning- class. There surely were "sentiments" of independence, fear of northern aggression, manipulation of southern crackers (poor whites who did not own slaves) to align their interests with those of the monied plantar class, but the core of the issue was over slavery. That was the cause that resulted in all following effects. What you think of the Civil War is interesting though, not because it's accurate, but because it reflects the ability of education to mislead through moralized historical smoke in mirrors. Recognize, Dan, that I don't expect to change your mind on this issue and I don't care too. Ron Paul, the same goes for you.
Tsar of DDO
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 4:33:19 PM
At 12/14/2012 4:12:19 PM, YYW wrote:

Secession (effect) was the result of a fear of Republicans in congress abolishing slavery (cause), not the other way around. Confederate troops gave their lives to protect the economic interests of a plantar -plantation owning- class. There surely were "sentiments" of independence, fear of northern aggression, manipulation of southern crackers (poor whites who did not own slaves) to align their interests with those of the monied plantar class, but the core of the issue was over slavery. That was the cause that resulted in all following effects. What you think of the Civil War is interesting though, not because it's accurate, but because it reflects the ability of education to mislead through moralized historical smoke in mirrors. Recognize, Dan, that I don't expect to change your mind on this issue and I don't care too. Ron Paul, the same goes for you.
Well said!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.