Education's Decline, Misfits to Massacres

Runs-With-Scissors
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:42:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is there a correlation?

As I've grown older, I've watched the funding be pulled from America's education systems and I have progressively watched many special programs get cut.

As one of the weird children, I was fortunate to be in a program for gifted kids - where I was challenged and I also was surrounded by other children who were like me - so I became sociable, a leader and functional with my quirky tendencies and general "odd-ness," instead of being a loner who was not interested in the other more "normal" children. It seems like that type of program no longer exists.

So - it makes me draw a picture of the life of weird kids in schools today. I was only happy when I met kids like me - if that never happens, then what?

So my question is this, has the decline of school programs for gifted kids led to the development of more misfits, and in more extreme cases, misfits who do shootings?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:02:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. I think it's perhaps too much to credit shooters as "gifted". Some of them may have been smarter than average, sure, but that's neither representative of the group nor indicative of high intelligence. Being awkward and antisocial doesn't make one a tortured genius.

2. AP already reported that mass shootings are on the decline, both in frequency and intensity [http://news.yahoo.com...]. So, if anything, a decline in special programs is actually correlated with a decrease in mass shootings. I suggest that the two aren't connected--or, at most, are very loosely so.