Jump to topic:

Regulating Bulletproof Vests

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 7:24:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
There's a lot of talk about gun control in the aftermath of the Newton massacre of course, the maniac was also wearing ab ulletproof vest and I find it interesting that there are no regulkations regarding the purchase of a bulletproof vest. It's my understanding that if you go to Walmart and try to buy a significant amount of any of the commercially available materials needed for making meth, you are required to show indentification and you will be investigated, and yet, a simple Google search for bulletproof vests shows a completely unregulated market for ordering them on line.

It sure seems to me that anyone buying a bulletproof vest is pretty much demonstrating an intent to put themselves into a situation where they are being shot at. The question becomes just what are you planning to do that you think people will be shooting at you, unless you are going hunting with Dick Cheney, there really aren't that many good reasons that are legal. I certainly think the motivation for buying a bulletproof vest should be investigated and that their puirchase should be regulated by some kind of requirement for disclosure of the reason you need one and some form of registration.

What do you think?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 10:35:46 AM
At 12/18/2012 7:24:28 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
There's a lot of talk about gun control in the aftermath of the Newton massacre of course, the maniac was also wearing a bullet proof vest and I find it interesting that there are no regulations regarding the purchase of a bullet proof vest. It's my understanding that if you go to Walmart and try to buy a significant amount of any of the commercially available materials needed for making meth, you are required to show indentification and you will be investigated, and yet, a simple Google search for bulletproof vests shows a completely unregulated market for ordering them on line.

It sure seems to me that anyone buying a bulletproof vest is pretty much demonstrating an intent to put themselves into a situation where they are being shot at. The question becomes just what are you planning to do that you think people will be shooting at you, unless you are going hunting with Dick Cheney, there really aren't that many good reasons that are legal. I certainly think the motivation for buying a bulletproof vest should be investigated and that their puirchase should be regulated by some kind of requirement for disclosure of the reason you need one and some form of registration.

What do you think?

I would like to live in a free country where people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. How does having a bullet proof vest (or wearing one) violate anyone Else's rights?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 5:24:23 PM
So everybody's rights should be restricted because some people might do X and Y with this? Hurr durr derpa herpa.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 7:20:01 PM
At 12/18/2012 5:24:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
So everybody's rights should be restricted because some people might do X and Y with this? Hurr durr derpa herpa.

Good thinking Einstein, we wouldn't want to impinge on a person's right to have a bulletproof vest for their shootouts, because that would be unAmerican...plus it might compromise your dicktardation.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 7:33:28 PM
At 12/18/2012 7:20:01 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Good thinking Einstein, we wouldn't want to impinge on a person's right to have a bulletproof vest for their shootouts, because that would be unAmerican...plus it might compromise your dicktardation.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that a vest is not a weapon. It's defensive not offensive.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 7:37:29 PM
At 12/18/2012 7:33:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that a vest is not a weapon. It's defensive not offensive.

Unlike your mum's face.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 7:52:07 PM

People have a right to protect themselves. Whether this protection can be used for other means is ultimately irrelevant. What matters is the fact that people have this right to self-defence, and the limiting of a bulletproof vest would be an infringement on that right.

There are plenty of other uses for a bulletproof vest. Protection against attacks would be the prime example.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 8:01:08 PM
At 12/18/2012 7:33:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I suppose so, but I find it curious that they aren't taking a hard look at why people are buying them, if you aren't in the military or law enforcement what do you need one for? If somebody expects to be in a shootout I'd sure think we'd like to know why.

Years back a buddy of mine ordered hydroponics equipment via mail order and it came with a notice that a record of the purchase had been submitted to federal authorities. Instead of growing pot he made his wife a nice indoor herb garden for her cooking LOL.

They sure want to know if you might be growing some dope at home but they aren't curious why people might be buying large clip weapons and bulletproof vests? It sure seems like we have our priorities in AFU status.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 10:12:15 PM
How many of these shootings have involved bullet proof vests? Reports of this most recent shooting are still contradictory, last I heard it was simply a tactical vest.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 10:18:06 PM
At 12/18/2012 8:04:42 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Sidewalker, it could be because someone is paranoid.

No doubt, and the problem seems to be that most of the gun advocates, especially those supporting large clips and rapid fire weapons, seem to be motivated by paranoia and/or fear, of crime, of the Government, whoever it is they feel they need combat style weapons to protect themselves from. Guns and paranoia aren't a good mix.

The one thing that all of these mass shootings have in common is a deranged individual, I'll bet most, if not all of them suffered from a high degree of paranoia long before they became deranged enough to go on a killing spree. I don't think paranoia is a reason to own guns, it's a reason to not own guns. Many of our fears are irrational, fear puts you in a rationally compromised position that impairs judgement. Responsible gun ownership requires just the opposite, you can't be rationally compromised, you must have good judgement, fear and paranoia are not conducive to responsible gun ownership.