Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Glorifying mass murderers

Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:01:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Over the past few days there has been much discussion about what to do about this problem which has became apparent in our country. Topics have ranged from gun control, to security, to mental health. But the central question we keep asking is "why would anyone do this?". In our haste to find the answer to this question we turn on the news and watch reports of who the shooter was, what kind of a person he was, where he lived, details about his life etc...

Am I the only person who thinks that this right here is a major contributor to their motivation? If you were disgusted with your life and decided to end it, don't you think that having your face plastered on every television in America and most of the world while everyone tries to learn about you would be pretty good motivation?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:12:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I disagree that they are "glorified" in any way. In almost all news stories I've seen, the murderers are always either condemned or pitied neither of which are particular desirable reactions for the murderer involved.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:14:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 2:12:13 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I disagree that they are "glorified" in any way. In almost all news stories I've seen, the murderers are always either condemned or pitied neither of which are particular desirable reactions for the murderer involved.

I didn't mean glorified in the sense that we make them out to be some kind of hero, but that we elevate them to someone who is suddenly worthy of all of us to sit and learn about.

The main point is the effect this may have on their motivations. Someone full of hate does not desire to be loved.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:21:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Attention is one of the big motivators for spree killers. The want for attention and to be remembered, even if it's in infamy, is what motivates them to go to such lengths. That's why I generally disagree with society's idea of making these out to be a big deal and getting everyone aware of it, because that's just what the killers generally want.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:27:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 2:21:54 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Attention is one of the big motivators for spree killers. The want for attention and to be remembered, even if it's in infamy, is what motivates them to go to such lengths. That's why I generally disagree with society's idea of making these out to be a big deal and getting everyone aware of it, because that's just what the killers generally want.

Do we actually know this for sure or is it speculation? Most the shooters end up dead and I don't recall a lot published memoirs being released.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:04:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 2:01:02 PM, Double_R wrote:
Over the past few days there has been much discussion about what to do about this problem which has became apparent in our country. Topics have ranged from gun control, to security, to mental health. But the central question we keep asking is "why would anyone do this?". In our haste to find the answer to this question we turn on the news and watch reports of who the shooter was, what kind of a person he was, where he lived, details about his life etc...

Am I the only person who thinks that this right here is a major contributor to their motivation? If you were disgusted with your life and decided to end it, don't you think that having your face plastered on every television in America and most of the world while everyone tries to learn about you would be pretty good motivation?



Morgan Freeman said it best:

"It's because of the way the media reports it, Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities.

Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way.

Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody."

But in reality, its impossible for society to stop it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:16:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 3:04:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
But in reality, its impossible for society to stop it.

in reality, you're an idiot.
signature
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:20:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 3:04:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/18/2012 2:01:02 PM, Double_R wrote:
Over the past few days there has been much discussion about what to do about this problem which has became apparent in our country. Topics have ranged from gun control, to security, to mental health. But the central question we keep asking is "why would anyone do this?". In our haste to find the answer to this question we turn on the news and watch reports of who the shooter was, what kind of a person he was, where he lived, details about his life etc...

Am I the only person who thinks that this right here is a major contributor to their motivation? If you were disgusted with your life and decided to end it, don't you think that having your face plastered on every television in America and most of the world while everyone tries to learn about you would be pretty good motivation?



Morgan Freeman said it best:

No he didn't.

http://www.inquisitr.com...

http://www.newsmax.com...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:25:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 3:20:36 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/18/2012 3:04:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/18/2012 2:01:02 PM, Double_R wrote:
Over the past few days there has been much discussion about what to do about this problem which has became apparent in our country. Topics have ranged from gun control, to security, to mental health. But the central question we keep asking is "why would anyone do this?". In our haste to find the answer to this question we turn on the news and watch reports of who the shooter was, what kind of a person he was, where he lived, details about his life etc...

Am I the only person who thinks that this right here is a major contributor to their motivation? If you were disgusted with your life and decided to end it, don't you think that having your face plastered on every television in America and most of the world while everyone tries to learn about you would be pretty good motivation?



Morgan Freeman said it best:

No he didn't.

http://www.inquisitr.com...

http://www.newsmax.com...

My apologizes, I thought it was him. Thanks for clarifying
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:26:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 3:16:22 PM, badger wrote:
At 12/18/2012 3:04:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
But in reality, its impossible for society to stop it.

in reality, you're an idiot.

in reality, you're just a deadbeat druggie.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:35:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 3:26:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/18/2012 3:16:22 PM, badger wrote:
At 12/18/2012 3:04:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
But in reality, its impossible for society to stop it.

in reality, you're an idiot.

in reality, you're just a deadbeat druggie.

no, I'm not.
signature
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 4:05:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 2:27:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Do we actually know this for sure or is it speculation? Most the shooters end up dead and I don't recall a lot published memoirs being released.

The point of my OP was to express that common sense leads us to this conclusion. If you feel otherwise please share your thoughts.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 6:44:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 4:05:21 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/18/2012 2:27:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Do we actually know this for sure or is it speculation? Most the shooters end up dead and I don't recall a lot published memoirs being released.

The point of my OP was to express that common sense leads us to this conclusion. If you feel otherwise please share your thoughts.

Is it common sense or what we are told.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:04:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 6:44:29 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 4:05:21 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/18/2012 2:27:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Do we actually know this for sure or is it speculation? Most the shooters end up dead and I don't recall a lot published memoirs being released.

The point of my OP was to express that common sense leads us to this conclusion. If you feel otherwise please share your thoughts.

Is it common sense or what we are told.

Now your starting to sound like Geo. No, I didn't put this thread together because someone told me that these killers like the idea of being on TV. In fact my point is that no one seems to be talking about this concept... which I thought of... all by myself.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 10:22:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 3:04:22 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/18/2012 6:44:29 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 4:05:21 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/18/2012 2:27:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Do we actually know this for sure or is it speculation? Most the shooters end up dead and I don't recall a lot published memoirs being released.

The point of my OP was to express that common sense leads us to this conclusion. If you feel otherwise please share your thoughts.

Is it common sense or what we are told.

Now your starting to sound like Geo. No, I didn't put this thread together because someone told me that these killers like the idea of being on TV. In fact my point is that no one seems to be talking about this concept... which I thought of... all by myself.

I sound like geo for asking valid questions? I hear all the time on tv and in print that part of the problem is all the airtime we give the killer somehow encourages it, when in reality I've not seen any evidence that the killers were looking to be noticed.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:02:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 10:22:14 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 12/19/2012 3:04:22 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/18/2012 6:44:29 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Is it common sense or what we are told.

Now your starting to sound like Geo. No, I didn't put this thread together because someone told me that these killers like the idea of being on TV. In fact my point is that no one seems to be talking about this concept... which I thought of... all by myself.

I sound like geo for asking valid questions? I hear all the time on tv and in print that part of the problem is all the airtime we give the killer somehow encourages it, when in reality I've not seen any evidence that the killers were looking to be noticed.

Suggesting that my OP was based off something I was told implies that I am not capable of thinking for myself. That is what conspiracy theorists every time people don't by into their conspiracy theories, that's why I said you sound like Geo.

Not sure where you hear on TV that this is part of the problem, I never hear it. Only once on Hannity a few nights ago, which ironically was immediately followed up by Hannity plastering the kids face on the screen.

These mass shooters are not concerned about leaving evidence for us as to what they want, so lack of evidence does not suggest that my hypothesis is wrong. I bring it up because it makes perfect sense. You have yet to comment on that.