Jump to topic:

Obama Establishes Task Force on Gun Violence

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 11:14:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm watching the press conference right now on the news. President Obama has just announced that he's creating a task force headed by Vice President Biden to come up "by January" with proposals for the new Congress n how to deal with gun violence.

What do you think will come of this? Failure? Success?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 11:16:42 AM
This is the political equivalent of "I don't want to talk about this right now, but give it a few months."

He needed to somehow respond to gun claims. This is an action which essentially means nothing other than "hire people to think up a suggestion to give to congress."
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 11:55:11 AM
At 12/19/2012 11:16:42 AM, Wnope wrote:
This is the political equivalent of "I don't want to talk about this right now, but give it a few months."

He needed to somehow respond to gun claims. This is an action which essentially means nothing other than "hire people to think up a suggestion to give to congress."

This is already driving the demand and sales of guns. I need to invest in some gun stocks. I wonder if any of the manufacturers are publicly traded.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 11:57:04 AM
If he really thinks there's no need for new gun control measures, why can't he just be honest and say "lets face it, Connecticut already has strict gun laws, no need for further legislation. Guns aren't the problem." He's not running for reelection, why act like youre on the campaign trail.

I know the answer, I'm asking you out there
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:00:09 PM
At 12/19/2012 11:57:04 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If he really thinks there's no need for new gun control measures, why can't he just be honest and say "lets face it, Connecticut already has strict gun laws, no need for further legislation. Guns aren't the problem." He's not running for reelection, why act like youre on the campaign trail.

The answer is "because he's a politician."

Have you even begun to consider what would happen politically if Obama started a serious push towards gun control at this point?

You remind me of all the gays who were so shocked that he wouldn't defend them during healthcare and suddenly reversed himself when Biden accidentally cornered him.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:00:48 PM
By the way, if you actually were following Obama, he TRIED to say "let's ignore things" but people didn't go for that line.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:02:21 PM

Because people are pissed. He has to say something. He can't just say "oh buncha kids got shot? Everything is fine. Keep on, keeping on."
#BlackLivesMatter
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:04:03 PM

What are you talking about? He's already said he wants to reintroduce the assault weapons ban.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:04:39 PM
At 12/19/2012 11:14:30 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I'm watching the press conference right now on the news. President Obama has just announced that he's creating a task force headed by Vice President Biden to come up "by January" with proposals for the new Congress n how to deal with gun violence.

If gun control is part of the plan, I'm betting it will only be minimal and have to do with guns which are clearly not for hunting...

Surely they will do something a little more substantial than this. Hopefully they will do some actual research into why these people do this in the first place. If he is actually serious, then he will want to get at the root of the problem which is probably complicated and far-reaching.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:27:47 PM
At 12/19/2012 12:00:09 PM, Wnope wrote:
The answer is "because he's a politician."

He's.not.up.for.reelection. Can you use that answer for everything he does? Drone strike slaughter, because he's a politician. Destruction of the dollar, because he's a politician. Indefinite detention of Americans, because he's a politician.

Get real. Ron Paul is a politician. Rand Paul is a politician. Justin Amash, Ted Cruz, Tim Scott, Jim DeMint are politicians. And they straight talk.

The answer is, unlike the Pauls, Obama is a ruthless, deceitful, authoritarian politician.

Have you even begun to consider what would happen politically if Obama started a serious push towards gun control at this point?

He is seriously pushing towards gun control and look at the backlash. He said "you didn't build that," "cling to guns and religion," "blacks are lazy." Those didn't go over well yet he still said it.

Why can't he just say the truth. Connecticut has the 4th strictest gun laws in America and it didn't stop anything. He needs to stop the act. Being a politician is no excuse.

You remind me of all the gays who were so shocked that he wouldn't defend them during healthcare and suddenly reversed himself when Biden accidentally cornered him.

That happened before the election. What don't you understand about being able to do whatever you want in your second term.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:31:08 PM
At 12/19/2012 12:04:03 PM, Kinesis wrote:

What are you talking about? He's already said he wants to reintroduce the assault weapons ban.

I know that. Wnope said Obama is pretending. I was granting Wnope's perspective and asking him why. That's why I said "if."
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:10:47 PM

Probably the same assault weapons ban that expired in 2004, although I doubt it will pass through Congress.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:19:17 PM
They will likely act like the NRC.

Who is on the task force? I could predict the ruling that way.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:20:20 PM

More nonsense.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:21:04 PM
At 12/19/2012 1:19:17 PM, 16kadams wrote:
They will likely act like the NRC.

Who is on the task force? I could predict the ruling that way.

I'll look up the second part when they make it.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:37:14 PM
I can't figure out the assault rifle ban, it wouldn't have had an effect on the sandy shooting as the kid didn't use an assault rifle.
I thought rifles had to have a certain barrel length and couldn't be burst or fully auto, what's an assault rifle ban going to further cover?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 6:06:39 PM
At 12/19/2012 1:37:14 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I can't figure out the assault rifle ban, it wouldn't have had an effect on the sandy shooting as the kid didn't use an assault rifle.
I thought rifles had to have a certain barrel length and couldn't be burst or fully auto, what's an assault rifle ban going to further cover?

Not a damn thing.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...