Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Russia bans Americans from adopting Russians?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 12:54:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com...

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little messed up?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 1:21:24 AM
At 12/20/2012 12:56:02 PM, drafterman wrote:
That's because:

In Soviet Russa, child adopts parent!

That's correct.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 1:45:05 AM
lolwut

Soo.... let's punish orphans because America thinks some Russians have violated human rights..... wow...
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 12:53:23 PM
There goes my army of super soldiers . . . *sigh*
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 1:18:01 PM
Finally we don't have to mix your ugly obese gene-pool with beautiful east Europeans.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 7:49:11 PM
At 12/23/2012 1:45:05 AM, Oryus wrote:
lolwut

Soo.... let's punish orphans because America thinks some Russians have violated human rights..... wow...

The Russian law is named after an American parent who left his/her Russian adoptee in a car for hours. This child died in that car.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 7:52:25 PM
At 12/29/2012 7:49:11 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
lolwut

The Russian law is named after a Russian adoptee whose American parent left the child in a car for hours. This child died in that car.

Corrected.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 11:11:55 PM
The real reason behind this is because we froze a group of corrupt Russian lawyer's assets in an anti-corruption bust.

This ticked Putin off and he retaliated like so.

I know lots of people who are Russian adoptees
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 11:35:57 PM
At 12/30/2012 11:11:55 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The real reason behind this is because we froze a group of corrupt Russian lawyer's assets in an anti-corruption bust.

I heard it was because Putin got re-elected on an anti-US platform.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 1:13:46 AM
At 12/30/2012 11:35:57 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

I heard it was because Putin got re-elected on an anti-US platform.

That certainly factored into it.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 3:49:34 AM
At 12/29/2012 7:52:25 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
lolwut

The Russian law is named after a Russian adoptee whose American parent left the child in a car for hours. This child died in that car.

Corrected.

That is largely symbolic; this was a political move that had nothing to do with child welfare.

Child abuse and neglect is an international problem, but it's currently more of a problem in Russia than in the US. According to UNICEF there are approximately 740,000 children living without parental care in Russia and US parents adopt more than any other country, Americans adopt over 60,000 Russian children a year, over three times as many as Russian parents adopt. Most Russian child welfare advocates see American adoptions as a very positive thing. Out of over a million Russian children adopted by Americans in the last 20 years, 19 have died from abuse or neglect of their American adoptive parents, while in Russia around 2000 children die from parental abuse each year. Russian advocates have protested the light sentencing or acquittal of American parents in these 19 cases, but those same advocates are protesting this new law, they know the American adoptions are generally beneficial to Russian child welfare. (Russian Children's Rights ombudsman Pavel Astakhov is politically motivated and his statements don"t count as far as meaningful child welfare advocacy goes in this situation)

This was strictly a political tit for tat move by the Kremlin; the welfare of the children has been subordinated to a political confrontation with the US.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 9:22:47 AM
At 12/31/2012 3:49:34 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 12/29/2012 7:52:25 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

This was strictly a political tit for tat move by the Kremlin; the welfare of the children has been subordinated to a political confrontation with the US.

Yeah I agree. It just seemed that the OP didn't know why they would take it out on adoptees, and there's at least a nominal reason.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 9:53:31 AM
At 12/20/2012 12:54:00 PM, imabench wrote:

Those Russians have no right to tell us what to do, we're Americans! Besides they have no right enforcing their laws on the U.S. since it is outside their juristictions.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 12:42:46 PM
At 12/31/2012 9:53:31 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Those Russians have no right to tell us what to do, we're Americans! Besides they have no right enforcing their laws on the U.S. since it is outside their jurisdictions.

That's ridiculous, the Russian children that Americans want to adopt certainly aren't outside their jurisdiction and it is completely within their legal jurisdiction to determine whether or not they will allow Americans to adopt those children.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 3:14:53 PM
At 12/31/2012 9:53:31 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Those Russians have no right to tell us what to do, we're Americans! Besides they have no right enforcing their laws on the U.S. since it is outside their juristictions.

They're not enforcing their laws on the US, they are enforcing their laws on Russian adoptees.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 3:22:09 PM

I also heard it was because American's were looking into the welfare of the Russian children who were to be adopted.
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 8:01:37 PM
This was clearly a tit for tat move and therefore condemnable, but some issues remain. In fact, very few nations allow foreign adoption, especially not the US method of treating the adoptive parent as a biological parent and thus free from scrutiny. We can't ignore the Russian orphans who were physically or sexually abused by American guardians who had no genetic interest in doing otherwise than exploiting. But maybe they're better off rolling those dice than living in overcrowded orphanages.