Jump to topic:

Armed Robbery or Death by Exclusion?

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 12:41:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
There is a common analogy given to taxation of an armed robbery. I'd like to offer what I consider to be a much more appropriate analogue to the ethical implications of government taxation:

You are in the desert dying of heat stroke. The only object in walking distance is a tent with a man in it.

You ask the man to enter, but he will only allow you in if you give him all the money in your wallet. If you decline the offer, you're on your own and will die of heat stroke.

Is the man acting unethically?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 1:04:16 AM
Why is it analogous to say one of the men is dying? Wouldn't it be sufficient to say one man man has resources the other would like to have?

Anyway, this reminds me of the little game inside the book The Pigman. Anyone ever read that in school? I think I'll start a thread about it.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 1:51:41 AM
At 1/2/2013 1:04:16 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Why is it analogous to say one of the men is dying? Wouldn't it be sufficient to say one man man has resources the other would like to have?

Anyway, this reminds me of the little game inside the book The Pigman. Anyone ever read that in school? I think I'll start a thread about it.

I do it because the armed robbery example involves life or death.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 1:56:01 AM
At 1/2/2013 1:51:41 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 1/2/2013 1:04:16 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I do it because the armed robbery example involves life or death.

I think the armed robber represents force, not death. The arming of the robber makes it simple to see the unbalance of strength.
My work here is, finally, done.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:36:57 AM
So the presumption is that without taxation by the State we would all die? Pretty sure that's not true.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.