Boehner is NOT faking

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 11:06:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.cnn.com...

Boehner is apparently quite humbled by his being re-elected as Speaker of the House. The man nearly broke down in the middle of his speech.

In a prior post (http://debate.org...) I asked whether Obama was faking or not when he broke down on two occasions.

Similar to Boehner, when Obama got re-elected, he visibly broke down while making a speech to those that helped him on his campaign.

http://abcnews.go.com...

However, immediately after the Sandy Hook shootings, Obama made another speech, where IMHO he was clearly faking it.

http://www.bloomberg.com...

So, my question is simple:

Is Boehner crying because of how overjoyed he was at being re-elected, or is he truly humbled by the task in front of him?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
The_Toucan_Man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 11:37:29 AM
At 1/4/2013 11:06:54 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
http://www.cnn.com...

Boehner is apparently quite humbled by his being re-elected as Speaker of the House. The man nearly broke down in the middle of his speech.

In a prior post (http://debate.org...) I asked whether Obama was faking or not when he broke down on two occasions.

Similar to Boehner, when Obama got re-elected, he visibly broke down while making a speech to those that helped him on his campaign.

http://abcnews.go.com...

However, immediately after the Sandy Hook shootings, Obama made another speech, where IMHO he was clearly faking it.

http://www.bloomberg.com...

Is Boehner crying because of how overjoyed he was at being re-elected, or is he truly humbled by the task in front of him?

How do you know that the president was "clearly faking it?" Maybe he was honestly sickened and heartbroken over the shooting like every other emotionally-stable person in the country was. I myself even cried over the shooting. (I do a lot of volunteer work at a local elementary school)

I honestly don't think Boehner is faking it (unless he's REALLY stupid). He honestly believes that he's on the right side of the issues and is proud of how far he's come in life. Even though I don't agree with the man 9 times out of 10, being Speaker of the House is quite an accomplishment and is indeed commendable. He feels like he is doing the right thing and protecting America, so he naturally gets emotional about it.

And I believe the president feels the same way.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 11:46:24 AM
Boehner would cry if he read any childrens book that has a happy ending because frankly he would cry over just about anything, I have no doubt in my mind that he was sincerely crying and not faking it.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 11:57:45 AM
At 1/4/2013 11:37:29 AM, The_Toucan_Man wrote:
At 1/4/2013 11:06:54 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

How do you know that the president was "clearly faking it?"

I was clear this was my opinion. If I knew for sure, I would say it was a fact and explain why.

Maybe he was honestly sickened and heartbroken over the shooting like every other emotionally-stable person in the country was. I myself even cried over the shooting. (I do a lot of volunteer work at a local elementary school)

Yeah, it was rough. I still can't get over the age of the kids.

I honestly don't think Boehner is faking it (unless he's REALLY stupid). He honestly believes that he's on the right side of the issues and is proud of how far he's come in life. Even though I don't agree with the man 9 times out of 10, being Speaker of the House is quite an accomplishment and is indeed commendable. He feels like he is doing the right thing and protecting America, so he naturally gets emotional about it.

And I believe the president feels the same way.

Yep, I'm with you on this part.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 11:58:49 AM
At 1/4/2013 11:16:18 AM, Danielle wrote:
I hate to be a d!ck but why does this matter? Actions speak louder than words and definitely tears.

It's my way of gauging the sincerity of our politicians.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 1:20:41 PM
At 1/4/2013 11:58:49 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
I hate to be a d!ck but why does this matter? Actions speak louder than words and definitely tears.

He is sincerely in love with himself and sincerely loves to cry but he's not sincerely working to advance anything other than his own political career. As is the case with most politicians in Washington.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 2:04:44 PM
At 1/4/2013 1:20:41 PM, lewis20 wrote:

He is sincerely in love with himself and sincerely loves to cry but he's not sincerely working to advance anything other than his own political career. As is the case with most politicians in Washington.

+1

I had a car salesman sincerely cry in front of me. I still did not buy his car.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 3:58:18 PM

Well, in order to actually be an effective politician (i.e. advocate the interests of your constituency), you have to actually be a politician. I.e., you need to make sure you don't abruptly end your career.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 4:25:36 PM
At 1/4/2013 3:58:18 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Well, in order to actually be an effective politician (i.e. advocate the interests of your constituency), you have to actually be a politician. I.e., you need to make sure you don't abruptly end your career.

The ends justify the means eh?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 4:32:18 PM
At 1/4/2013 4:25:36 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 1/4/2013 3:58:18 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

The ends justify the means eh?

That's not my point. My point was that there's a hierarchy of needs to satisfy. In order to advocate his/her politician, a politician needs to secure his/her seat and build his/her reputation. A healthy reputation facilitates deal-making, etc.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 6:19:27 PM
At 1/4/2013 4:32:18 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/4/2013 4:25:36 PM, lewis20 wrote:

That's not my point. My point was that there's a hierarchy of needs to satisfy. In order to advocate his/her position, a politician needs to secure his/her seat and build his/her reputation. A healthy reputation facilitates deal-making, etc.

God I hate correcting myself, lol...
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 7:05:51 PM

Half & half perhaps. I heard House Speaker John Boehner is an emotional guy. He cried at least twice on two different occasions prior to this one. So in conclusion, he is not faking it (if past incidences mean anything).
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:56:31 PM
As an amateur lie-detector, I don't presume to know when professional liars are faking it. But I'm certain it involves self-deception, as that's the surest arrow in the liar's quiver. So if I'm Obama, recognizing the political utility of appearing sympathetic to Newtown, CT, which is to say Everytown, USA, I might imagine little Sasha and Malia were there and just let the tears manufacture themselves. And then when it's time to appear tough on terror, I might imagine the innocent children killed in drone attacks as crash test dummies.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 8:16:59 PM
And...what am I supposed to do with that information?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 8:18:39 PM
At 1/5/2013 7:56:31 PM, CarefulNow wrote:
As an amateur lie-detector, I don't presume to know when professional liars are faking it. But I'm certain it involves self-deception, as that's the surest arrow in the liar's quiver. So if I'm Obama, recognizing the political utility of appearing sympathetic to Newtown, CT, which is to say Everytown, USA, I might imagine little Sasha and Malia were there and just let the tears manufacture themselves. And then when it's time to appear tough on terror, I might imagine the innocent children killed in drone attacks as crash test dummies.

I have a very similar view. I was thinking the same thing about Obama and Newtown.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 8:20:49 PM
"How do you know that the president was "clearly faking it?" Maybe he was honestly sickened and heartbroken over the shooting like every other emotionally-stable person in the country was. I myself even cried over the shooting. (I do a lot of volunteer work at a local elementary school)"
Do you cry every minute when about twenty kids starve?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 11:17:02 PM
At 1/5/2013 10:41:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
What are you trying to say? That sincerely emotional people are naive to the realities of everyday tragedies?

No, I am merely attempting to determine the sincerity of said emotion. Hence the title.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 11:45:50 PM
At 1/5/2013 11:17:02 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/5/2013 10:41:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
What are you trying to say? That sincerely emotional people are naive to the realities of everyday tragedies?

No, I am merely attempting to determine the sincerity of said emotion. Hence the title.

That was for bossy.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 7:49:27 AM
I think there's something about being famous and on television that makes people feel compelled to show emotion. I don't think either Obama or Boehner fake cried, because they're both intelligent enough to know that it wouldn't make them look good. I think they cried honestly,...not realizing how silly the crying looked to those watching.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault