Jump to topic:

Obama Supporters please?

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 9:43:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Never really been heavy into politics, but there are a lot of anti-Obama individuals at my workplace talking about the payroll tax cut expiration. Pretty sure this is the first thing Obama has done that directly affects me that I *know* about. Any Obama supporters want to tell me what he may have done that has helped me? I want to give the gentleman a fair chance before I judge.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 9:44:09 AM
He'll give you an Obama-phone if you ask for one.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 1:32:10 PM
At 1/5/2013 9:43:22 AM, Kleptin wrote:
Never really been heavy into politics, but there are a lot of anti-Obama individuals at my workplace talking about the payroll tax cut expiration. Pretty sure this is the first thing Obama has done that directly affects me that I *know* about. Any Obama supporters want to tell me what he may have done that has helped me? I want to give the gentleman a fair chance before I judge.

He did initiate the holiday for a year, and extend it for another, so you had two years of less payroll taxes. I hope you did you part in stimulating the economy with it...
My work here is, finally, done.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:04:51 PM
At 1/5/2013 2:01:58 PM, drafterman wrote:
http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com...

It's funny cause I found that all the things that "he" did on that list, he didn't actually do, they just happened during his time in office, he did it to get votes, or it wasn't good stuff.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:10:11 PM
I find this amusing, since Republicans were initially against extending the payroll tax cut at any point. Either way, it was always meant to be a temporary measure. Personally, I would have preferred they extend the cut a little longer, but it was meant to go away at some point. I'm more worried about the increase in the capital gain tax.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:16:38 PM
At 1/5/2013 2:04:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:

It's funny cause I found that all the things that "he" did on that list, he didn't actually do, they just happened during his time in office, he did it to get votes, or it wasn't good stuff.

There's a good parody site to it:

http://whatinthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:19:03 PM
Although there are lists from both the "negative" obama site that I agree with and stuff from the "positive" obama site that I disagree with.
Open borders debate:
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:20:05 PM
At 1/5/2013 2:16:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Does either website ever run out, I've been clicking for at least 10 minutes.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:27:17 PM
At 1/5/2013 2:20:05 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/5/2013 2:16:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Does either website ever run out, I've been clicking for at least 10 minutes.

There are thousands of legislation,executive orders, speeches, and discussions Obama has had within his 4 years in office so I'm sure they have a bunch of stuff on that. Keep in mind that the people running the site also have an option to email them for new information.

Should also be noted that legislation has hundreds of pages in it, so one can use the legislation more then once. And i'm sure that the sites give praise and blame to Obama for stuff where he had no involvement in.
Open borders debate:
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 4:12:41 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 4:17:26 PM

Ad Double R posted, Obama helped pass the payroll tax extension in spite of Republicans that were against it. So if you liked having it for 2 years, you can thank Obama for that.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 4:48:32 PM
At 1/5/2013 4:17:26 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Ad Double R posted, Obama helped pass the payroll tax extension in spite of Republicans that were against it. So if you liked having it for 2 years, you can thank Obama for that.

Should I feel sad that Double_R got your accolades when he posted essentially the same thing I did, sans the witty (and misspelled) comment?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 6:41:51 PM

I find that most of the bad things people attribute to Obama are things he didn't actually do, they just happened during his time in office, are claimed just to get votes for the other side, or isn't actually bad stuff.

I think it all balances out.

That's what we call bipartisanism!
Imagination
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 6:54:24 PM

The comparative benefits of variating tax plans is a little complicated to summarize in 7500 characters O_O For me at least!

In respects to gun rights though. The claim that Obama will in any way endanger gun rights is completely unsubstantiated. In just his first year of presidency, Obama signed into laws more repeals of federal gun policies than in President George W. Bush's 8 years in office! A lot more info here. http://www.bradycenter.org...

Dunno if it helps you. It kind of depresses me. But it's a common misconception you're bound to come across sooner or later. A lot of my anti-Obama friends I've shown this to were very surprised.
"And if reality doesn't fit the discrete labels we invent to describe it?" --drafterman
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 11:46:44 PM

Well, 2 years ago I was still in school, and getting 4 digits a year. I've only started my first actual full-time job recently. I think my 40% tax is enough, Mr. Obama.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 12:29:15 PM

Believing and relying on any govt official or govt in general to "help you" is your down fall, and will only lead to a life of disappointment and misery.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 5:42:15 PM
At 1/5/2013 11:46:44 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Well, 2 years ago I was still in school, and getting 4 digits a year. I've only started my first actual full-time job recently. I think my 40% tax is enough, Mr. Obama.

You do realize that if Obama never passed the payroll tax holiday your current rate would still be 6.2% right? So is it the 4.2% rate that you have a problem with, or are you blaming Obama for the 6.2% rate which was set in 1990?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 5:42:48 PM
At 1/5/2013 4:48:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Should I feel sad that Double_R got your accolades when he posted essentially the same thing I did, sans the witty (and misspelled) comment?

lol don't be hatin
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 8:10:46 PM

Do you support Affordable Care Act ?
Since it is directly related to your profession, it would have a paramount effect on your career/income. All other things such as marginal tax rate would fade into memory as time passes.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 9:12:12 PM
At 1/7/2013 5:42:15 PM, Double_R wrote:

You do realize that if Obama never passed the payroll tax holiday your current rate would still be 6.2% right? So is it the 4.2% rate that you have a problem with, or are you blaming Obama for the 6.2% rate which was set in 1990?

Exactly, and I hate it that people call it a hike.
Now, the Bush tax cuts, those could be argued as a hike or a return to previous rates, as they were "temporarily" lowered for at least seven years, then extended for another two, and now further extended for most Americans. The length of time makes it debateable, whereas the SS holiday was only for one year, and extended for another.

Regardless, it annoyed me how self-serving people were when I talked to them about the Bush cuts, either holding water for their party or themselves. "The rich's rates are only going back to what they were, that's not bad." "Wait, if these cuts expire, well, that's raising taxes on the poor!"

Did anyone else notice this change in the conversation when the tax cuts were first up for renewel in 2009? Could it be because a Democrat was in the White House, and not an evil beholden-to-the-rich Republican?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 6:05:40 PM
At 1/7/2013 9:12:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Now, the Bush tax cuts, those could be argued as a hike or a return to previous rates, as they were "temporarily" lowered for at least seven years, then extended for another two, and now further extended for most Americans. The length of time makes it debateable, whereas the SS holiday was only for one year, and extended for another.

Regardless, it annoyed me how self-serving people were when I talked to them about the Bush cuts, either holding water for their party or themselves. "The rich's rates are only going back to what they were, that's not bad." "Wait, if these cuts expire, well, that's raising taxes on the poor!"

Did anyone else notice this change in the conversation when the tax cuts were first up for renewel in 2009? Could it be because a Democrat was in the White House, and not an evil beholden-to-the-rich Republican?

"Exactly, and I hate it that people call it a hike."

Ya, kinda like when Bush lowered taxes and then have them remain at the same rate for twelve years strait and still calling it a tax cut twelve years later.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 6:47:55 PM
At 1/8/2013 6:05:40 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/7/2013 9:12:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

"Exactly, and I hate it that people call it a hike."

Ya, kinda like when Bush lowered taxes and then have them remain at the same rate for twelve years strait and still calling it a tax cut twelve years later.

As I said, it is debatable. Both the Bush tax cuts and the payroll holiday were temporary. So, when/if they expire, they go back to previous rates. The difference between the two is the length of time, but they were both still temporary; the Bush tax cuts were not permenant cuts.
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 7:11:30 PM
As I said, it is debatable. Both the Bush tax cuts and the payroll holiday were temporary. So, when/if they expire, they go back to previous rates. The difference between the two is the length of time, but they were both still temporary; the Bush tax cuts were not permenant cuts.

Bush tax cuts are permanent for 99% Americans, at least for now.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 7:20:02 PM
At 1/9/2013 7:11:30 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:

I haven't actually looked at this yet, as I am trying to figure all the tax effects for 2012 still. Are these cuts truly permenent now, or are they just extended further (i.e. have a sunset attached)?

If it is the latter, then we can stop calling them the Bush tax cuts, and call it the current tax code. And, if and when taxes are increased, it will truly be a hike (as legislation will need to be passed to raise them, as opposed to simply doing nothing), even if it is just back to Clinton-era rates.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 10:29:59 PM
At 1/9/2013 7:11:30 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:

lol...forever, maybe.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 11:47:43 PM

Thanks to Obama, the top tax rate in California and NY both top 50%. He is to blame for that... He also deserves a lot of blame for the large debt accumulated... although entitlements are the big contributer (and he is the one refusing any scaling back here)

He is to blame for the public sector bailout known as the stimulus and the health care debacle which is beloved by unions and industry execs but hated by small business... and the joke known as Dodd Frank (which big banks actually like).

He expanded SCHIP... which forced many children with higher quality private insurance onto the shitty public health care roles.

He passed a "credit card bill of rights" that doesn't really do anything.

And, he passed the Lilly Ledbetter Bill to please his lawyer friends..

Wonderful president, really.
President of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 12:01:11 AM
At 1/9/2013 11:47:43 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Thanks to Obama, the top tax rate in California and NY both top 50%. He is to blame for that... He also deserves a lot of blame for the large debt accumulated... although entitlements are the big contributer (and he is the one refusing any scaling back here)
Just some minor nit-picking:

Unless state rates went up in 2013, the top rate is not over 50% for either state, unless it is from payroll, and even then, it is just under 50% in NY.
http://taxfoundation.org...

Why is Obama to blame for this, per se? Aren't the governors of those states at least as equal in the blame?

He is to blame for the public sector bailout known as the stimulus and the health care debacle which is beloved by unions and industry execs but hated by small business... and the joke known as Dodd Frank (which big banks actually like).

He expanded SCHIP... which forced many children with higher quality private insurance onto the shitty public health care roles.

He passed a "credit card bill of rights" that doesn't really do anything.
No, it did do things, like raised my minimum monthly payments.

And, he passed the Lilly Ledbetter Bill to please his lawyer friends..

Wonderful president, really.
WW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 12:24:49 PM

Well, have you seen any of his speeches? He's not bad. I once saw a newspaper that had the photo of Obama celebrating his victory and on the top of the page, in bold white words, the heading read: THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA.

As you can see, he is a cool guy.