Jump to topic:

Indian "Arab Spring?"

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 2:10:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is a loaded topic that can go into SEVERAL valid segways.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com...

This CNN post attempts to compare public outcry of the gang rape and subsequent death of an Indian woman to the Arab Spring that has hit Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Syria, and possibly Palestine and Iran.

For anyone less familiar with this issue (the victim of the rape), some quotes from the article:

"The national attention over her death is shedding light on how unsafe Indian women actually are. According to the national crime records bureau, there were more than 24,000 registered rapes in 2011. That's one rape every 22 minutes in India. And those are just the ones we know about. By some accounts, only a tenth of all such crimes in India actually get reported."

There is a chart in the article sourced from the Indian government that demonstrates how the rape incidents have increased by nearly 900% over the past 40 years in India, whereas burglary (which is by far the most prevalent type of crime cited in the chart) actually decrease by over 37% over 60 years.
http://ncrb.nic.in...

Also, " According to its 2011 census, there are only 9 women for every 10 men in urban India. That's one of the worst sex ratios, and that doesn't happen naturally. It happens because tens of thousands of Indians opt for abortions if they know they're having a daughter."

And, " After 600 rape cases reported in Delhi last year, only one has led to a conviction."

I've seen various articles and videos on this topic since the incident that highlight a gigantic gender bias in India.

So my questions for discussion are many:

1) What are the causes of this gender bias?
2) Is such gender bias appropriate?
3) What are the solutions for such bias (if any are required)?

4) What does this have to do with the Arab Spring?
5) Was the Arab Spring simply a protest for democratic rights, or is there more to the events that have brought down several Middle Eastern states?
6) How do the Arab Spring events correlate with this incident?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 6:11:14 AM
1) What are the causes of this gender bias?

The causes are cultural. It is simply expensive to have a daughter, high cost vs low benefits. She'll stay with you for 20-25 years max, and you'll have to pay truckloads of dowry to get her married off.

2) Is such gender bias appropriate?

Of course not. But it is expected. It is the unintended consequence of the cultural norms we grew up in.

3) What are the solutions for such bias (if any are required)?

I actually wrote an article on it recently, basically we need a sound sensitized police structure and judiciary. Right now, even the police lay blame on the girl, and the 'she asked for it' mentality is rampant. There was a sting operation by an independent journal recently, where officers widely discredited rape victims with reasons as ridiculous as ' she wouldn't have complained if she was a genuine victim.'

4) What does this have to do with the Arab Spring?
5) Was the Arab Spring simply a protest for democratic rights, or is there more to the events that have brought down several Middle Eastern states?
6) How do the Arab Spring events correlate with this incident?

Basically, both the revolutions are people asking for their fundamental rights. It is a revolution in the sense that even people who generally are the first to point fingers at the 'girls led wayward by the western culture' raised their voices.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 7:02:34 PM
I would love to see more discussion on this thread. Regardless, thanks for your reply.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?