Jump to topic:

Nixon's 100th Birthday

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 10:13:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yep, if President Richard Milhous Nixon were still alive today, he would be 100 years old.

http://www.cnn.com...

The man that EVERYONE loves to hate was surprisingly popular during his term, before Watergate.

Today, liberals and even conservatives would find a bone to pick with his policies. This man created the EPA, was the first to authorize affirmative action in the federal government, opened China, and bombed Cambodia into the stone age. Most modern conservatives find him too moderate, and liberals see him as the arch-Republican.

What are your thoughts on this complex character? And, happy birthday Tricky Dick.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 11:12:56 AM
He also fully got us off the gold standard, started the drug war, and financed billions to wars.

Although opening China was a good policy.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 3:59:22 AM
Nixon imposed wage and price controls. How far left is that?

Nixon was a complex character. Young Alan Greenspan refused to work for Nixon after seeing Nixon flip into a rage, a personality disorder.
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 4:20:01 AM
At 1/13/2013 3:59:22 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

Nixon was a complex character. Young Alan Greenspan refused to work for Nixon after seeing Nixon flip into a rage, a personality disorder.

How does someone with a punch-drunk personality disorder become a successful politician? o.0
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 10:39:22 AM
At 1/13/2013 4:20:01 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

How does someone with a punch-drunk personality disorder become a successful politician? o.0

It seems Nixon was exhibiting a bipolar disorder. That often affects people who are very intelligent. When such people are in the "up" state they are friendly and outgoing. It isn't an act, they really are. when something sets them off, usually someone refusing to go along with what they want, they go into an irrational rage. I've seen it.

The people who deal regularly with this often end up passing over the problem, "Yeah, he does that, but he always snaps out of it." Bipolar people usually resist treatment (pills work) because they won't acknowledge there is any problem. the rather trivial thing that set them off really happened, so they think they are acting rationally.

Maybe that was not Nixon's problem, but it fits the pattern.

Note that Nixon was a Quaker. Some say that led to his concerns over the environment that spawned the EPA. It didn't make him a pacifist.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2013 10:51:19 AM
At 1/13/2013 10:39:22 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 1/13/2013 4:20:01 AM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

It seems Nixon was exhibiting a bipolar disorder. That often affects people who are very intelligent. When such people are in the "up" state they are friendly and outgoing. It isn't an act, they really are. when something sets them off, usually someone refusing to go along with what they want, they go into an irrational rage. I've seen it.

The people who deal regularly with this often end up passing over the problem, "Yeah, he does that, but he always snaps out of it." Bipolar people usually resist treatment (pills work) because they won't acknowledge there is any problem. the rather trivial thing that set them off really happened, so they think they are acting rationally.

Maybe that was not Nixon's problem, but it fits the pattern.

Note that Nixon was a Quaker. Some say that led to his concerns over the environment that spawned the EPA. It didn't make him a pacifist.

That's an interesting note about Nixon's religion, especially after the bru-ha-ha that the GOP displayed in 2008 over Romney's religion. They really shot down a great VP candidate that year...I would have voted for a McCain/Romney ticket.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?