GOP Favorite 2012

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:10:44 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The Huckabee post inspired me :)

Who do you think will be up for the Repubs next?

I'm guessing Bobby Jindal.

I say Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee don't stand a chance.

What say ye?
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:24:12 AM
Romney. He'll have to get a Christian right-wing like Palin as his running mate, but Romney is someone even I would get behind, provided Obama keeps up his current rate of fail.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:41:10 AM
At 10/25/2009 8:24:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Romney. He'll have to get a Christian right-wing like Palin as his running mate, but Romney is someone even I would get behind, provided Obama keeps up his current rate of fail.

Orly? What "fail" do you speak of? Obama's being a puss because it's his 1st term in office. I'm just curious as to your complaints; I'm not really defending the guy yet. It's early.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 8:54:58 AM
At 10/25/2009 8:41:10 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/25/2009 8:24:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Orly? What "fail" do you speak of? Obama's being a puss because it's his 1st term in office. I'm just curious as to your complaints; I'm not really defending the guy yet. It's early.

Backs down on Healthcare he promised even when he has the majority. This is my main issue. If the guy promises something, he should deliver.

I haven't really been following him, that's my main itch though. How's the economy due to him?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:03:01 AM
Btw, do you think the Republicans are going to fight fire with fire using an Indian against an African American?
ReganFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:06:58 AM
At 10/25/2009 8:10:44 AM, theLwerd wrote:

What say ye?

PALIN / BACHMANN 2012

ITS TIME TO RECAPTURE THE REPUBLIC FROM TYRANNOUS HANDS OF THE OBAMANATION!
Do you like Mudkips?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:09:54 AM
At 10/25/2009 9:03:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Btw, do you think the Republicans are going to fight fire with fire using an Indian against an African American?

Absofrigginlutely.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:11:18 AM
At 10/25/2009 8:54:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Backs down on Healthcare he promised even when he has the majority. This is my main issue.

I dunno what you're talking about. What do you think he's doing right now? And why would Romney be a better candidate than Obama because Obama hasn't implemented universal health care yet? If you're for health care, then wouldn't you be opposed to Romney? I don't get it.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:11:58 AM
At 10/25/2009 9:09:54 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Absofrigginlutely.

Obama has a pimp hand, Bobby has a steady job at 7/11
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:14:33 AM
At 10/25/2009 9:11:18 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Backs down on Healthcare he promised even when he has the majority. This is my main issue.

I dunno what you're talking about. What do you think he's doing right now? And why would Romney be a better candidate than Obama because Obama hasn't implemented universal health care yet? If you're for health care, then wouldn't you be opposed to Romney? I don't get it.

Obama said he was goign to deliver a Public Option, he hasn't yet. And whilst your Congress has it's panties twisted over this with the Blue Dogs, pressing economic issues are left aside.

The problem is it's distracting people form the economic issues. If Obama can't resolve it, I would support Romney. A Public option would then be available at 2020 at the latest.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:22:48 AM
Jindal's response to Obama's joint session of Congress was terrible, that really hurt him. I doubt he will run, if he does, I doubt he will even get to the primaries.

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com...

The front-runners so far:
1) Huckabee - Polling says Huckabee would lose to Obama 47-43 if the election was held today, which is within the margin of error.
2) Romney - Would lose to Obama 48-40.
3) Palin - Would lose to Obama 52-40.
4) Pawlenty - Would lose to Obama 50-30.

This is the seventh time PPP has conducted this poll and the seventh time Huckabee has polled closest to Obama. Speaking to the weakness of the field of potential Republican candidates he's the only with a positive favorability rating and even then it's only 33/29…

Romney is actually the most popular of the Republican candidates with independents, sporting a 38/28 favorability rating with them and holding Obama to just a 41-40 lead. One thing he'll probably have to contend with to a greater extent if he gets the 2012 nomination is his religion- 34% of respondents say they have an unfavorable opinion of it to 21% who look on it positively.

Rudy Giuliani and Rick Perry (Governor-TX) are my favorite choices. Giuliani will probably run, but he hasn't really made it clear - which is why he isn't being polled. Perry won't run in 2012 most likely, 2016 seems likely though.

I think everyone knows who Obama will be campaigning against in 2012 - George W. Bush. "I didn't do it, HE did it." Et cetera. I'm optimistic of a Repub victory in 2012, but as of now, it doesn't look so well. One, people like to re-elect Presidents, which gives Obama an upper-hand. Two, Obama can still blame it on the GOP, which I don't think will be as good of a strategy in 2012 though. Three, Obama is not old or white.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:24:58 AM
At 10/25/2009 9:14:33 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Obama said he was goign to deliver a Public Option, he hasn't yet. And whilst your Congress has it's panties twisted over this with the Blue Dogs, pressing economic issues are left aside.

The problem is it's distracting people form the economic issues. If Obama can't resolve it, I would support Romney. A Public option would then be available at 2020 at the latest.

Panda. Tell me you're joking.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 9:37:55 AM
At 10/25/2009 9:24:58 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/25/2009 9:14:33 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Panda. Tell me you're joking.

lol, hehehe, of course...

????
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:39:29 AM
I'd say Romney is the best qualified, and will most likely win. I remember finding an interesting article explaining the GOP quagmire and possible conteders, but I don't remember where it is was from, but it basically said that Romney has good ties to the business community and is more likely to win back moderates, while Huckabee is seen as someone like Palin who will shore up the evangelical base but will be seen wearily by any business supporters of the GOP. Palin is just a non-contender, in my view.

I'm probably one of the few liberals on this site that doesn't view Huckabee in an entirely bad light, but against Romney he is definitely the worse of the two.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:41:25 AM
At 10/25/2009 9:22:48 AM, Nags wrote:
Rudy Giuliani and Rick Perry (Governor-TX) are my favorite choices.

Oh Teh Noez! Not another Texas governor as President! :o
I'm mostly kidding, I don't know enough about him and his positions.

I think everyone knows who Obama will be campaigning against in 2012 - George W. Bush. "I didn't do it, HE did it." Et cetera. I'm optimistic of a Repub victory in 2012, but as of now, it doesn't look so well. One, people like to re-elect Presidents, which gives Obama an upper-hand. Two, Obama can still blame it on the GOP, which I don't think will be as good of a strategy in 2012 though. Three, Obama is not old or white.

You are going under the assumption that he won't turn his popularity back around. He's taken a big hit right now because health insurance has some ardent and powerful foes. There will likely be a bill and it will likely be passed. Some people will be angry. Most people will get over it by the next presidential election. Once the health care bill is over with, he will turn to some of the easier to accomplish and popular progressive issues to bring some of the left back into support (ie Defense of Marriage Act repeal, Gays in the military, &ct.).

On top of that, the economy will be doing much better by the next election. By next year, when most of the stimulus hits the economy, many people will change their position on the stimulus.

I predict that Obama will turn around his presidency, much like Clinton did, from a slow start.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:43:09 AM
At 10/25/2009 10:39:29 AM, Volkov wrote:
I'd say Romney is the best qualified, and will most likely win. I remember finding an interesting article explaining the GOP quagmire and possible conteders, but I don't remember where it is was from, but it basically said that Romney has good ties to the business community and is more likely to win back moderates, while Huckabee is seen as someone like Palin who will shore up the evangelical base but will be seen wearily by any business supporters of the GOP. Palin is just a non-contender, in my view.

I'm probably one of the few liberals on this site that doesn't view Huckabee in an entirely bad light, but against Romney he is definitely the worse of the two.

Agreed with all points. Even that you are one of the only liberals to find Huckabee to be Okay.

What do our resident republicans think of a Romney/Jindall pairing?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:44:44 AM
At 10/25/2009 10:43:09 AM, JBlake wrote:

Probably not. If Romney runs, he has to run with an Evangelical or something nice for the social conservatives. Maybe though. I think it depends what the focus is on in a few years.
President of DDO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 10:47:44 AM
At 10/25/2009 10:44:44 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Probably not. If Romney runs, he has to run with an Evangelical or something nice for the social conservatives. Maybe though. I think it depends what the focus is on in a few years.

I think that the evangelicals should be abandoned. They will likely come out in decent numbers regardless. But choosing one as the VP will alienate moderates just like in 2008. I think most moderate GOP politicians understand that at this point. I expect a more moderate ticket.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 11:04:49 AM
Who wants to see a reason why the Republican brand is tarnished forever!

http://www.angus-reid.com...

I mean really; if over half of the Republican Party membership/voting base believes Obama was born outside of the US, there are some serious issues. No amount of ticket pairings, no matter how good and how appealing, is going to save people from that sinking ship.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 11:36:17 AM
At 10/25/2009 11:04:49 AM, Volkov wrote:
Who wants to see a reason why the Republican brand is tarnished forever!

http://www.angus-reid.com...

I mean really; if over half of the Republican Party membership/voting base believes Obama was born outside of the US, there are some serious issues. No amount of ticket pairings, no matter how good and how appealing, is going to save people from that sinking ship.

I'm sure the same people believe the moon landings never happened, 9/11 was a Bush conspiracy and Aliens are responsible for crop circles.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 11:55:44 AM

Jindal's stupidarse is a disgrace to Indians everywhere. With my almighty power I have stripped him of that categorization.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 3:05:19 PM

I'd rather have W again than Romney; actually, not that bad, but close. Jindal is a policy wonk who knows his sh1t, and would make a good VP. His lack of prestige and name-power makes his a bad Presidential candidate. Jindal for GOP VP regardless of Prez would be good for domestic policy and would appeal to minorities. However, the current probables for Prez disgust me. Romney - hate. Palin - hate. Huckabee - hate. Pawlenty - Meh. Former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson is someone I would like. Senators John Thune (SD), John Cornyn (TX), and Jim Demint (SC) are good too. Gary Johnson and Jim Demint are the only probable Prez candidates, while I think Thune and Cornyn would be good VP's. However, it is likely if Johnson or Demint win the GOP ticket, they would pick someone like Romney for VP, for more votes of course.
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2009 3:21:07 PM
Romney would be my favorite Republican, with a centrist running mate.

But the fact is, I don't think people would elect a Mormon. The evangelical political machine is too strong. Their are many misconceptions about the religion, and this could do him in.

I still support Obama against any Republican, though.
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 6:28:54 PM

What say ye?

I don't think Bobby Jindal will go any where.
louisiana sucks at everything, and he has done nothing to help.

he is a huge________(fill in the blank here)_________
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 6:30:47 PM
At 10/25/2009 9:06:58 AM, ReganFan wrote:

What say ye?

PALIN / BACHMANN 2012

ITS TIME TO RECAPTURE THE REPUBLIC FROM TYRANNOUS HANDS OF THE OBAMANATION!

No women can't handle the job just yet... the world does not seem ready and we are in to big of shambles to have that happen.

Really i say that b/c i have not seen the right one for the job.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 6:34:15 PM
At 10/25/2009 10:39:29 AM, Volkov wrote:

I agree but i would like to see a ron paul rep in the race, or a newt gingrich.
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2009 7:51:20 AM
In a completely unbiased way; they're screwed no matter what they do.

New York is a perfect microcosm; Scozzafava wins the GOP nominated because she shares quite a few Republican values but the right-wing of the party endorses Hoffman, who came in last or near-last during the nominations, who turns and runs for the Conservative ticket. Now, since they're splintering the vote, it looks like the Democrat will take the seat even though parts of it haven't had a Democratic congressman in something like a century. While the Conservatives have always been strong in the district, this is different.

So my prediction is that the GOP establishment will seek to nominate someone like Bobby Jindal or Jeb Bush (if he decides to run) while the insane teabaggers will star harking on Huckabee or Michelle Bachman. Perhaps they could even be useful and throw their support behind Ron Paul, but considering that they're not actually real Libertarians, I sincerely doubt it.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that it's going to be Romney. He seems like the logical next-in-line, he -might- pacify some of the crazy right-wingers. He won't, of course, because they demand the contradiction of a completely libertarian economic system (while still providing essential benefits, only more efficiently) and a practically authoritarian social sphere. I think Romney will be the best at pandering to that.

Given that, I sincerely believe that a third party will emerge. The fringes of both parties are growing dissatisfied. However, I think that Obama appeals more to progressives than any GOP frontrunner appeals to the teabaggers. I'm putting my money on the Libertarian, Constitutional or Conservative party taking something like 5% of the vote in the next election.

This is all conjecture, of course.