Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

What I hate about political classes.....

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:13:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
....is this the fact that you have to write papers according to what they say if you want to get an A. I made the mistake of correcting the teacher in front of the class, and the dang community college teacher got upset. I was homeschooled and no one tell the Koopin to not correct a teacher. And I am not being one of those irritating little kids who look for something to make her seem wrong.

She told us "On a scale from left to right, there is Communism, liberal, conservatism, libertarianism, and anarchism. The further left you go, the more social liberties you have, such as gay marriage rights, and abortion freedom. But when you go right, those government restrictions get tighter."

WAT? I can't wait to transfer to the University.

/rant
kfc
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:16:10 PM
At 1/15/2013 12:13:36 PM, Koopin wrote:
....is this the fact that you have to write papers according to what they say if you want to get an A. I made the mistake of correcting the teacher in front of the class, and the dang community college teacher got upset. I was homeschooled and no one tell the Koopin to not correct a teacher. And I am not being one of those irritating little kids who look for something to make her seem wrong.

She told us "On a scale from left to right, there is Communism, liberal, conservatism, libertarianism, and anarchism. The further left you go, the more social liberties you have, such as gay marriage rights, and abortion freedom. But when you go right, those government restrictions get tighter."

/rant

Interesting.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:16:48 PM

/rant

She made quite a few mistakes, but overall, the argument is true.

I would say the scale is like this:

conservatism, libertarianism, market Anarchism, liberal, Communism, traditional Anarchism
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:28:33 PM

/rant

She is not wrong, if you define liberties as something the government allows/protects. Since the more right you go, there is less government, it follows that there is less liberty/protection offered. However, if your definition of liberty is freedom (from government), then the teacher is wrong.

When I was taught about the chart, it was in the flow of a circle. With totalatarian and anarchy nearly touching, but I can't remember why.
My work here is, finally, done.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:32:51 PM
The idea that libertarians have the most restrictions on social issues is so demented as to disqualify the teacher from teaching political science. You must remember that leftism is a religion, so if you attend the equivalent of Catholic school you cannot succeed by challenging the Pope. On second thought, Catholics tolerate dissent much better than liberals.

I'd put anarchism in a separate category of "confused." Theoretically they want no government, but issue-by-issue they seem to come down reliably on the side of heavy government regulation, except, of course, for drugs. Well, maybe drugs should be mandatory too.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:34:54 PM

/rant

Overall Koopin, the political and social science classes are going to contain liberal-biases, since most of the professors are liberals. Its not going to get any better and often times you have to format your papers in the way your professorial want them, even if they are not objectively better and go against your ideology.

The fact is this is a universal problem for people that go to universities. However Lee Doren wrote an interesting book "Please Enroll Responsibly, Avoiding Indoctrination in School"

http://www.amazon.com...

I don't think there's really an objective definition of what constitutes "left" and what constitutes "right".
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 12:40:27 PM
At 1/15/2013 12:32:51 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The idea that libertarians have the most restrictions on social issues is so demented as to disqualify the teacher from teaching political science. You must remember that leftism is a religion, so if you attend the equivalent of Catholic school you cannot succeed by challenging the Pope. On second thought, Catholics tolerate dissent much better than liberals.

I'd put anarchism in a separate category of "confused." Theoretically they want no government, but issue-by-issue they seem to come down reliably on the side of heavy government regulation, except, of course, for drugs. Well, maybe drugs should be mandatory too.

Depends on what type of anarchy your referring to. Anarchy-capitalists like J.Kenyon were consistently for free-markets. Anarchists like anarcho-communism are the ones more likely to be for heavy government regulations. There's also nothing really anarchist thing about it, since whenever I hear how an anarcho-communism society would function, it sounds quite statist.
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 3:51:32 PM
Was the class political science?

And Roy, I think it's reasonable to say that many anarcho capitalists treat laissez faire capitalism as a religion as well.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:21:00 PM

"The only way Leftism can survive is through indoctrination."
-- Greg Gutfeld
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:21:34 PM

/rant

I know the feeling, I took a critical thinking course, and the professor was a democrat. I was assigned a paper analyzing an article about the Tea Part and terrorism. The article said the Tea Party was terrorists, and that the guy who flew his plane into the IRS building was a conservative tea party member. In my analysis I said the article was bias, and the guy was a communist. I cited the police report, which included the bomber's manifesto; the content of manifesto indicated the man was a Marxist. The professor highlighted where I called the bomber a marxist, and said I was wrong, with no explanation. I got a B (a low grade for me) for the class, due to political topics.

In my international economics course, the professor was an advocate of heterodox economics, while the reading material was in favor of economic liberalism. On my first essay I wrote in favor of economic liberalism; the instructor took points of. His reasoning was that I was too decisive in my conclusion, and that I did not take into consideration alternatives to what was written in the text book. I ended up with a 98% for the class, because from that point on I wrote more open essays, that advocated economic liberalism, while leaving a possibility for heterodox economics.

Rest assured, your teacher was wrong. Left wing = reformist and right wing = traditionalist. The more left wing you are, the more radical you are; the more right wing you are, the more you adhere to the status quo. In regards to the linear European political spectrum, which does not take into consideration the actual definitions of left and right, the extreme left is communist and the extreme right is nationalist, while anarchists are considered centrist. The model your professor was using is the Glenn Beck Model; he is the first one I've seen propose that wacky model.

You can't get into a political debate with your teacher, unless they are encouraging confrontation of opposing views; even than you need to restrain yourself unless you are sure the professor agrees with you.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:22:59 PM
@Koopin

Keep correcting her, keep debating her. Her buffoonery is simply intolerable and must be intellectually shot down.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:25:54 PM
At 1/15/2013 12:28:33 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

/rant

She is not wrong, if you define liberties as something the government allows/protects. Since the more right you go, there is less government, it follows that there is less liberty/protection offered. However, if your definition of liberty is freedom (from government), then the teacher is wrong.

When I was taught about the chart, it was in the flow of a circle. With totalatarian and anarchy nearly touching, but I can't remember why.

Left vs Right is a socio-cultural scale; the left favors radicalism while the right favors the status quo.
Anarchism is left wing, as is communism.

Big Government vs Small Government is a socio-political scale; collectivists favor more government, and individualists favor less government.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:41:41 PM
At 1/15/2013 12:16:48 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

/rant

She made quite a few mistakes, but overall, the argument is true.

I would say the scale is like this:

conservatism, libertarianism, market Anarchism, liberal, Communism, traditional Anarchism

Lol no. A linear scale cannot encompass both economics and social opinions since they are mutually contradictory when you get to modern liberalism and modern conservatism. The scale that is used for the political compass on DDO is correct since it tries to have both social and economics and different things.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 6:06:53 PM
At 1/15/2013 4:22:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@Koopin

Keep correcting her, keep debating her. Her buffoonery is simply intolerable and must be intellectually shot down.

You can't teach those who don't want to learn. The debate would rage on for ever, and Koopin would flunk the class.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 6:35:32 PM
I only corrected a professor once in college, but I made a joke about it. The course was African American studies and he still gave me an A.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 6:43:27 PM
@Koopin

At the cost of his own tuition? Be practical.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 6:46:39 PM
At 1/15/2013 6:06:53 PM, DanT wrote:
@Koopin

You can't teach those who don't want to learn. The debate would rage on for ever, and Koopin would flunk the class.

I don't know if Koopin would flunk, but I doubt he would get an A. I have never heard a believable story of a teacher who failed a student simply because they disagree. I do believe stories where the student wears their "C" as a badge of honor.
My work here is, finally, done.
Azul145
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 7:08:23 PM

/rant

I correct my teachers but I do it in the form of a question. A teacher might say people only disagree with Obama because he is black. I would say: Um is it possible people have different opinions then him? The average teacher would say I guess that is possible. Then you sit back in your chair with a grin on your face because you got her/him to contradict herself/himself.
Everything is going according to my plan.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 7:15:18 PM
At 1/15/2013 12:40:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Depends on what type of anarchy your referring to. Anarchy-capitalists like J.Kenyon were consistently for free-markets. Anarchists like anarcho-communism are the ones more likely to be for heavy government regulations. There's also nothing really anarchist thing about it, since whenever I hear how an anarcho-communism society would function, it sounds quite statist.

It's pretty much social contract theory. It's anarchist in the sense that you aren't forced to do anything. I guess you could say that it's libertarianism, but the word itself doesn't matter all that much.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
TheElderScroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 7:16:37 PM
@Koopin

Well. If his grade is on the line, it isn't wise for him to take a confrontational approach.
CarefulNow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 7:39:43 PM
At 1/15/2013 4:21:34 PM, DanT wrote:
I know the feeling, I took a critical thinking course, and the professor was a democrat. I was assigned a paper analyzing an article about the Tea Part and terrorism. The article said the Tea Party was terrorists, and that the guy who flew his plane into the IRS building was a conservative tea party member. In my analysis I said the article was bias, and the guy was a communist. I cited the police report, which included the bomber's manifesto; the content of manifesto indicated the man was a Marxist. The professor highlighted where I called the bomber a marxist, and said I was wrong, with no explanation. I got a B (a low grade for me) for the class, due to political topics.

You were both wrong. He wasn't a tea-partier, that's true; he wasn't racist or religious enough. But he was, like tea-partiers, a populist, not a Marxist. "To each according to his ability, from each according to his need", which incidentally was coined by Blanc, not Marx, is so clearly reasonable that most Americans assume it comes from the Constitution.

Rest assured, your teacher was wrong. Left wing = reformist and right wing = traditionalist. The more left wing you are, the more radical you are; the more right wing you are, the more you adhere to the status quo. In regards to the linear European political spectrum, which does not take into consideration the actual definitions of left and right, the extreme left is communist and the extreme right is nationalist, while anarchists are considered centrist. The model your professor was using is the Glenn Beck Model; he is the first one I've seen propose that wacky model.

Actually, Europeans have a two-dimensional political spectrum, by which anarchism is the extreme left-libertarian corner. The US has a one-dimensional political spectrum (libertarians would disagree, but they're irrelevant); economic liberalism is predictive of social conservatism, while the few anarchists constitute a signless infinity.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 7:48:09 PM
I like how Communism is the farthest left. Because Soviet Russia definitely has more freedom than the backwards United Kingdom!
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 9:20:26 PM
At 1/15/2013 7:15:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/15/2013 12:40:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:

It's pretty much social contract theory. It's anarchist in the sense that you aren't forced to do anything. I guess you could say that it's libertarianism, but the word itself doesn't matter all that much.

Not forced in what sense? Nobodies forcing me to live in America. The objection is that "one shouldn't have to leave" for a bad system and polycentric law w/ private defense would be "true' anarchy, which is the same as a communist nation that has control of the landmass.
Open borders debate:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 9:22:46 PM
Being someone with left sympathies, I must say I would also find this very irritating. Good thing I'm not taking political science.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 8:18:12 AM
At 1/15/2013 4:25:54 PM, DanT wrote:

/rant

Left vs Right is a socio-cultural scale; the left favors radicalism while the right favors the status quo.
Anarchism is left wing, as is communism.

Big Government vs Small Government is a socio-political scale; collectivists favor more government, and individualists favor less government.

Left vs. Right is an opposition to monarchy/dictatorship vs. supporters of it. Sure, those who oppose monarchs/dictators necessarily have to revolt, but that is more a function of the fact that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely (thus, those with absolute power will not relinquish that power without a good, ol' fashioned @ss-whoopin').

That's the origin of it all, anyway. It's French. Look it up.

Later, it came to mean the party of progress vs. the party of stability. (basically, right-leaning people are massive p*ssies who understand that any sort of change will expose how inept they are, and rather than compete with a larger group, they prefer to remain the big fish in their little pond).

Currently, it is meaningless. "Radicalism vs Status Quo"? This is a construct of division (as in divide and conquer) that originated in the 60s.

Unfortunately, during that period of time, young people decided to grow their hair long, and this was also the time that the country was ready to end its facade of Puritanism and allow sex to more honestly come to the forefront of the cultural consciousness.

Hippies weren't radical. They were young burners who wanted to get laid, just like the squares were young drunks who wanted to get laid.

However, there was a lot of contentious social issues being worked out around that time, and the squares found themselves on the wrong side of each and every one (by today's standards, which were shaped at the time, anyway.)

This made the squares uncomfortable, because each of them desperately wanted to have gay sex with black people, but they were able to control their desires by not having these long-dong pieces of man meat, or hearty packs of delicious brown sugar wafting their pheromones under their noses constantly...until integration, the sexual revolution and the women's movement slapped them straight in their closetted gay genitals.

And their response? Blame the long-hair hippies...the people who had little to do with any of it, and who were hangers on, for the most part, and got way too much credit for a bunch of social change that they were too stoned to affect and too busy having their hippie orgies to act upon.

But, hair is powerful. Look at Hitler. If you know nothing else about him, you know his mustache that has been ruined as a facial hair fashion statement for all time (just ask Michael Jordan).

And so, hair was the dividing line.

Crew cut lovers of Elvis - right

Long hair lovers of Hendrix - left

The politics were built around each aesthetic, and they are completely meaningless. Neither group cares about what is best for them, or the country as a whole. They're still fighting an unwinnable battle from a decade long forgotten by most, and all they care about is "beating" each other, which is just how the bureaucrats like it.

Personally, I know it's only Rock n Roll, but I like it.

(also, your teacher should distinguish between civil libertarians and nuevo-libertarians, which is the group to which I believe she is referring. and, anyone who puts anarchists on the far right of the spectrum is an idiot, but then so many people who teach college are, so get used to it and learn how to regurgitate information you can quickly forget once each test is complete. College is a great environment for learning, as long as you're not in class.)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...