Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Should All Candidates Participate in Debates?

Aned
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:22:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Should we allow all candidates for the presidency to participate in national debates or only the ones representing the Republican and Democrat parties?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:31:53 AM
I'd be for candidates that are gonna be on all state ballots to be in the debates. However, I believe all the debates are private affairs, so it doesn't matter what we think or want, only what the sponsor of the event thinks or wants.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:42:18 AM
At 1/19/2013 12:22:23 AM, Aned wrote:
Should we allow all candidates for the presidency to participate in national debates or only the ones representing the Republican and Democrat parties?

Only those who show that they can actually get at least 5% of the popular vote or so.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:44:32 AM
Anybody with at least 30k supporters.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:45:29 AM
At 1/19/2013 12:44:32 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

......your joking I hope.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:48:38 AM

are you out of your mind??? Im pretty sure the nazi party, the communist party, and Freedo's party party can get 30k supporters.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:53:14 AM
At 1/19/2013 12:48:38 AM, imabench wrote:

are you out of your mind??? Im pretty sure the nazi party, the communist party, and Freedo's party party can get 30k supporters.....

So what?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:56:43 AM
At 1/19/2013 12:42:18 AM, imabench wrote:
At 1/19/2013 12:22:23 AM, Aned wrote:

Only those who show that they can actually get at least 5% of the popular vote or so.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:57:30 AM
At 1/19/2013 12:53:14 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

So what?

Because that would require the name to be change from debate to most-popular-kid-on-the-block-shouting-match.

Aned
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 12:59:08 AM
But how are they going to get support if they are not being exposed in national debates?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 1:02:55 AM
At 1/19/2013 12:59:08 AM, Aned wrote:
But how are they going to get support if they are not being exposed in national debates?

Jesus Christ.... How about by campaigning, advertising, having an ideology that is attractive to people, having candidates that appeal to people, or doing any of the normal sh*t that the major parties do??????

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 4:42:02 AM

The best way for a third party to get any real traction and have any real shot of getting any significant amount of the vote, is to get the party going in local elections, which once support is garnered, can win state elections, then federal congress elections, then, after their party has shown a following and is actively and legitimately competing against the two major parties, there will be a shot for a third party presidency.

But to say that anyone presidential candidate should have a voice in a debate is rediculous. The RNC primary debates were awful at the beginning when there were like 11 of people running. How bad would a debate be if all 27 parties had their candidates on stage?

Now, I think only 5 or 6 had ballots in every state, so could be managable, but what happens if those 27 parties actively get on the ballot everywhere? Same boat. The criteria should be any legitimate candidate that can establish a following and receive a sizable chunk, like 5% as a third party last election. Because if they did that well with limited visibility, they may be a real threat to both parties with a national debate.
My work here is, finally, done.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 6:49:40 AM
At 1/19/2013 4:42:02 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

The best way for a third party to get any real traction and have any real shot of getting any significant amount of the vote, is to get the party going in local elections, which once support is garnered, can win state elections, then federal congress elections, then, after their party has shown a following and is actively and legitimately competing against the two major parties, there will be a shot for a third party presidency.

But to say that anyone presidential candidate should have a voice in a debate is rediculous. The RNC primary debates were awful at the beginning when there were like 11 of people running. How bad would a debate be if all 27 parties had their candidates on stage?

Now, I think only 5 or 6 had ballots in every state, so could be managable, but what happens if those 27 parties actively get on the ballot everywhere? Same boat. The criteria should be any legitimate candidate that can establish a following and receive a sizable chunk, like 5% as a third party last election. Because if they did that well with limited visibility, they may be a real threat to both parties with a national debate.

That's a good idea, the 5% criteria, but I would go lower to like 3% otherwise it would never be achieved.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 11:05:23 AM
At 1/19/2013 12:57:30 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/19/2013 12:53:14 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

So what?

Because that would require the name to be change from debate to most-popular-kid-on-the-block-shouting-match.

It isn't already a popular kid shouting match?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Aned
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 1:35:11 PM
It is about having a fair process, in which every candidate can promote his agenda. Even better of they all get the same amount of funds for campaigning.

Because the way it is right now, to get elected, a candidate must be well-liked in the Northeast since the primary rely on those states. That is one of the reasons that Rick Perry could not advance. It would have been a lot different if the primaries had started in Texas or in any other southwestern states.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 2:52:11 PM
At 1/19/2013 1:35:11 PM, Aned wrote:
It is about having a fair process, in which every candidate can promote his agenda. Even better of they all get the same amount of funds for campaigning.

No, the debate is to debate the topics. The campaign is to promote their agenda. The campaign is easily accessible via internet for anyone who cared, so blame the lazy/ignorant American voter, not the system.

Again, if there were 5 candidates for the debate and each got 3 minutes for an opening statement, with one minute for rebuttal per opening statement, then each question would last 15 minutes + 4 minutes x 5 candidates = 35 minutes per question, without any rebuttal to the rebuttal. How is any agenda to be truly promoted, let alone discussed?

Because the way it is right now, to get elected, a candidate must be well-liked in the Northeast since the primary rely on those states. That is one of the reasons that Rick Perry could not advance. It would have been a lot different if the primaries had started in Texas or in any other southwestern states.

Rick Perry was also an idiot, who seemed ill-prepared for the debates. Perhaps he was just arrogant...

The northeast controls the inter-party elections, you say? According to this wikipedia, only two northeastern states affected the voting before Super Tuesday.

January 3: Iowa caucus (both parties)
January 10: New Hampshire primary (both parties)
January 21: Nevada Democratic caucuses and South Carolina Republican primary
January 28: South Carolina Democratic primary
January 31: Florida (both parties)
February 4: Nevada Republican caucuses
February 4"11: Maine Republican caucuses
February 7: Colorado, Minnesota and Missouri Republican primaries
February 28: Arizona and Michigan Republican primaries
March 3: Washington Republican caucuses
March 6: Super Tuesday: Primaries/caucuses for both parties in several states

I didn't know less than 20% of the voting meant stranglehold on the primary.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
My work here is, finally, done.