Jump to topic:

Atheist in Arizona? No diploma for you!

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:03:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
BEGINNING IN THE 2013‑2014 SCHOOL YEAR, IN ADDITION TO FULFILLING THE COURSE OF STUDY AND ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN THIS CHAPTER, BEFORE A PUPIL IS ALLOWED TO GRADUATE FROM A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS STATE, THE PRINCIPAL OR HEAD TEACHER OF THE SCHOOL SHALL VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:

I, _________, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD.
http://legiscan.com...
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:21:24 PM
At 1/26/2013 1:03:13 PM, drafterman wrote:
BEGINNING IN THE 2013‑2014 SCHOOL YEAR, IN ADDITION TO FULFILLING THE COURSE OF STUDY AND ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN THIS CHAPTER, BEFORE A PUPIL IS ALLOWED TO GRADUATE FROM A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS STATE, THE PRINCIPAL OR HEAD TEACHER OF THE SCHOOL SHALL VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:

I, _________, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD.

Amurica!!! F-yeah.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:39:31 PM
Reminds me of the favourite school saying: "Your voluntary contribution is required".
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:50:37 PM
I wish I could say I was surprised. But I'm not. This is the state of John McCain, Charles Carreon, and the dolphin people from that P&T: Bullsh!t episode. There's plenty of crazy.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:59:37 PM
Good, this way we'll weed out all the possibly disloyal foreign agents posing as Ameican high school students.

They won't be able to resist injecting their secularism.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:06:16 PM
Heh, I thought this was going to be something of vague importance.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:08:32 PM
BEGINNING IN THE 2013&#8209;2014 SCHOOL YEAR, IN ADDITION TO FULFILLING THE COURSE OF STUDY AND ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN THIS CHAPTER, BEFORE A PUPIL IS ALLOWED TO GRADUATE FROM A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS STATE, THE PRINCIPAL OR HEAD TEACHER OF THE SCHOOL SHALL VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:

Absolutely disgusting! I have contacted the Freedom from Religion Foundation concerning this legislation and will get the ACLU involved. This makes me want to puke!
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:09:49 PM
Wow....people can seriously overreact sometimes.

tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:11:27 PM
At 1/26/2013 2:08:32 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
BEGINNING IN THE 2013&#8209;2014 SCHOOL YEAR, IN ADDITION TO FULFILLING THE COURSE OF STUDY AND ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN THIS CHAPTER, BEFORE A PUPIL IS ALLOWED TO GRADUATE FROM A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS STATE, THE PRINCIPAL OR HEAD TEACHER OF THE SCHOOL SHALL VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:

Absolutely disgusting! I have contacted the Freedom from Religion Foundation concerning this legislation and will get the ACLU involved. This makes me want to puke!

Straight to the nuclear option!
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:40:06 PM
At 1/26/2013 2:06:16 PM, OberHerr wrote:

If it said "So help me Allah" would your response be different?
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:58:01 PM
At 1/26/2013 2:40:06 PM, drafterman wrote:

You do know what Allah mean don't you?
kfc
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 3:23:21 PM
At 1/26/2013 2:58:01 PM, Koopin wrote:

It means "God" but that doesn't matter because it's almost always associated with the Muslim God.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 3:40:37 PM
At 1/26/2013 3:23:21 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/26/2013 2:58:01 PM, Koopin wrote:

It means "God" but that doesn't matter because it's almost always associated with the Muslim God.

Yea, so what if it said:

"I, _________, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND SCIENCE, REASON, LOGIC, AND TRUTH AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN, DOMESTIC; RELIGIOUS AND NON RELIGIOUS THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER. "
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 4:57:30 PM

I don't see why atheists are getting so upset. Why would they have a problem swearing to something that doesn't exist? Atheists should be able to make this pledge easily, as there is no compelling force to stop them from breaking their word, except themselves. So, the issue isn't "So help me God", it is the pledge itself, as the atheist can easily lie with no perceived reprecussuions.

My problem is that one is forced to be in school, and this is an allegience pledge, so a public school should not be coercing a pledge of this kind.

The only good outcome this can have is an attempt to weaken the public school system with an increase in demand for private schools.
My work here is, finally, done.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 5:09:21 PM
At 1/26/2013 4:57:30 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I don't see why atheists are getting so upset. Why would they have a problem swearing to something that doesn't exist? Atheists should be able to make this pledge easily, as there is no compelling force to stop them from breaking their word, except themselves. So, the issue isn't "So help me God", it is the pledge itself, as the atheist can easily lie with no perceived reprecussuions.

My problem is that one is forced to be in school, and this is an allegience pledge, so a public school should not be coercing a pledge of this kind.

The only good outcome this can have is an attempt to weaken the public school system with an increase in demand for private schools.

Because atheists shouldn't have to lie about being atheists in order to advance in society. It's the same reason "Don't ask, Don't tell" was such an absurd policy.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 5:26:20 PM
This is extremely absurd, and the schools should be sued, but if someone is an Atheist, I would advise that she sign it. I pretend to be at least minutely religious depending on who I am with. This is the only place I can express my true feelings about God without catching flak from the whole world.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 6:04:45 PM
Who cares. We need more loyalty to the Constitution. I don't like the compulsory aspect, however.

Atheism and Theism are the same. "God" is a non-specific term. Pantheists have the same belief as Atheists, yet still use the word "God."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 6:18:41 PM
At 1/26/2013 6:04:45 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Who cares. We need more loyalty to the Constitution. I don't like the compulsory aspect, however.

That's the point.

Atheism and Theism are the same. "God" is a non-specific term. Pantheists have the same belief as Atheists, yet still use the word "God."

No, Patheists don't have the same belief as Atheists. Pantheists believe in a god. Atheists don't.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 11:47:21 PM
At 1/26/2013 6:18:41 PM, drafterman wrote:

That's the point

The outrage is over the words "please help me God." They aren't mad about the compulsory part.

No, Patheists don't have the same belief as Atheists. Pantheists believe in a god. Atheists don't.

"Pantheism is sexed up Atheism."
-- Richard Dawkins

Pantheists call the Universe, God. Atheists believe in the Universe.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 11:50:12 PM

Fvck Arizona and the collective sum of its politicians.
Tsar of DDO
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 11:53:19 PM
@DM and DD

Not really, no. Wording is sorta irrelevant.

I mean, we have "In God We Trust" on our dollar bill, I just see it as a harmless little point towards amour roots I suppose. Kinda a tradition.

If the people of Arizona care enough, which I doubt they will cause it's irrelevant and I doubt many of them overreact this much, then they can change it. Until then, you can keep being offended by it.

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 4:25:03 AM
At 1/26/2013 5:09:21 PM, drafterman wrote:

Because atheists shouldn't have to lie about being atheists in order to advance in society. It's the same reason "Don't ask, Don't tell" was such an absurd policy.

When I said "lie", I was referring to the oath means nothing (which makes it ineffective) to an atheist, not that the atheist should lie about his beliefs.

As an agnostic, if something ends with "so help me God", I view it as a matter of honor, not a literal contract with the Almighty; I take no offense to raising my right hand on the stand and saying that the testimony I give is "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God". I would rather say "bring dishonor to my family", but in our Judeo-Christian heritage, the common expression is a reference to the moral superiority of a judging deity, and doesn't even refer to any specific diety.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 5:59:14 AM
At 1/27/2013 4:25:03 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

When I said "lie", I was referring to the oath means nothing (which makes it ineffective) to an atheist, not that the atheist should lie about his beliefs.

As an agnostic, if something ends with "so help me God", I view it as a matter of honor, not a literal contract with the Almighty; I take no offense to raising my right hand on the stand and saying that the testimony I give is "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God". I would rather say "bring dishonor to my family", but in our Judeo-Christian heritage, the common expression is a reference to the moral superiority of a judging deity, and doesn't even refer to any specific diety.

If that's the case, would they be ok with me substituting "Aphrodite" for "God"?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 6:59:37 AM

If an atheist says that oath, he's lying about his beliefs.

If its meaningless, then why is it being proposed as a requirement to get, perhaps, the single most important certification a person can get?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 7:01:06 AM
At 1/26/2013 11:47:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 6:18:41 PM, drafterman wrote:

That's the point

The outrage is over the words "please help me God." They aren't mad about the compulsory part.

Yes, they are. They're mad that they are being compelled to take a religious oath.

"Pantheism is sexed up Atheism."
-- Richard Dawkins

Pantheists call the Universe, God. Atheists believe in the Universe.

But not that the universe is god.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 7:03:18 AM
At 1/26/2013 11:53:19 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@DM and DD

Not really, no. Wording is sorta irrelevant.

I mean, we have "In God We Trust" on our dollar bill, I just see it as a harmless little point towards amour roots I suppose. Kinda a tradition.

All of that god stuff on our money and pledge and motto came about in the 50's as part of the Red Scare. It isn't part of our tradition and we object to it as well.

If the people of Arizona care enough, which I doubt they will cause it's irrelevant and I doubt many of them overreact this much, then they can change it. Until then, you can keep being offended by it.

How is it an overreaction?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 4:13:39 PM
At 1/27/2013 6:59:37 AM, drafterman wrote:

Where in the oath does it say you believe in God? How can God punish you if he doesn't exist?

If its meaningless, then why is it being proposed as a requirement to get, perhaps, the single most important certification a person can get?

The pledge itself is not meaningless, only the clause at issue is, if taken literaly by an atheist or other religion (as they generally use another name for God, such as Allah, Abraham, Shiva, etc.). I don't take it literally, and using the phrase "so help me God" is more recognizibale, meaningful, and historicaly used by more Americans than "on my honor".

However, as stated, the pledge itself is bothersome, as it is the antithesis of the American mindset.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 4:21:50 PM
At 1/27/2013 4:13:39 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/27/2013 6:59:37 AM, drafterman wrote:

Where in the oath does it say you believe in God?

The part where it asks me to solicit help from him, the implication being that he exists.

How can God punish you if he doesn't exist?

It's not god I'm worried about, it's his believers.

The pledge itself is not meaningless, only the clause at issue is, if taken literaly by an atheist or other religion (as they generally use another name for God, such as Allah, Abraham, Shiva, etc.). I don't take it literally, and using the phrase "so help me God" is more recognizibale, meaningful, and historicaly used by more Americans than "on my honor".

Since there isn't an option to pick and choose which parts of the pledge will be said, then it's irrelevant if parts are meaningless and parts aren't. Also, it doesn't matter if the speaker takes it seriously, it's the people demanding it that do.

However, as stated, the pledge itself is bothersome, as it is the antithesis of the American mindset.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 11:47:57 AM
VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:

This only points to the fact that you have to say only the oath. It does not state anything about what you can add onto the oath, or what you can precede the oath with, as long as you strictly mention that oath. Legally speaking, it's perfectly possible to add "God is a big poopy-head" at the end of the oath and still fulfill the legal requirements. Or you can just say that you don't mean it at the end.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."