wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 2:23:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.cnn.com...

Sarah Palin's fall from media stardom

"People loved her. People hated her. She had transcended the narrow bounds of politics to become a larger-than-life figure, the woman portrayed by Tina Fey, the mama grizzly from Alaska. Every journalist in the country knew that if you put Palin's name in an online headline or television segment, your clicks and ratings would soar."

"Little wonder that Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes rushed to sign her as a million-dollar-a-year contributor and built a modern studio for Palin in her Wasilla home."

"By the time word trickled out Friday that Palin's contract would not be renewed, the reaction was a collective shrug. Her moment had passed. And therein lies a lesson -- about the fleeting nature of fame but also about the nature of media commentary."

---

"But Palin never quite had the impact of, say, a Karl Rove as a Fox talking head. She became something of a one-note wonder, jabbing at President Barack Obama for failing to deliver on the hope-y change-y thing but reluctant to challenge her fellow Republicans, especially after Mitt Romney rolled to the nomination."

"It wasn't clear what Palin stood for. She also reflexively jabbed the media (except for Fox), seemingly more interested in settling scores than driving an agenda. As Palin appeared from Alaska with less frequency, she became less a part of the national conversation."

---

"When her three-year deal was up, Ailes offered Palin a new contract -- but at a fraction of her seven-figure salary. It was a lowball offer, and both sides agreed to an amicable separation."

"In an interview with Breitbart.com, Palin talks about broadening her audience, saying: "I know the country needs more truth-telling in the media, and I'm willing to do that.""

"Palin still has a passionate following and can still make news with a single Facebook posting. But for Fox News, at least, her market value had clearly plunged, and a divorce was inevitable."

---

So, title. Is Sarah Palin irrelevant to national politics?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 2:30:41 PM
Yes. No real justifiable reason why, just yes.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 2:34:16 PM
Sarah palin becomes more and more irrelevant as America realizes it was just as stupid to vote for someone because he is Black as it is to vote for someone just because she has a vagina.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 2:43:45 PM
She would be irrelevant even if McCain had won in 2008 (going on the fact that he's not dead yet, and I'd put money on him not dying before 2016). The vice-presidential position is pretty much irrelevant.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 3:17:00 PM
At 1/28/2013 2:43:45 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
She would be irrelevant even if McCain had won in 2008 (going on the fact that he's not dead yet, and I'd put money on him not dying before 2016). The vice-presidential position is pretty much irrelevant.

You never know, the presidency seems to age people a lot faster than they otherwise would.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 4:59:36 PM

Dick Cheney?
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:00:26 PM
At 1/28/2013 4:59:36 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Dick Cheney?

Puppet master
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 5:00:55 PM
At 1/28/2013 5:00:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 1/28/2013 4:59:36 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Dick Cheney?

Puppet master

Yah.