Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Obama Skeet Shooting Meme

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 8:44:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Overview
On February 2nd the White House put out a press photo of President Obama skeet Shooting at Camp David. Along with a caption that stated "The photograph may not be manipulated in any way". As expected, this request has backfired and gathered attention of Photoshop enthusiasts.

About
During an interview by NewRepublic, reporter Franklin Foer asked President Obama "Have you ever fired a gun?", to which Obama responded "Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time".
About a week later, an official Twitter account associated with the White House tweeted an image of President Obama skeet shooting, to verify the claim given during the interview. Later, the photo also surfaced on the official White House Flickr photo stream.

Here are some of my favorites:
Debt Limit: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net...
Duck Hunting Game: http://i1.kym-cdn.com...
British Army: http://i3.kym-cdn.com...
North Hollywood Shootout: http://i1.kym-cdn.com...
Columbine: http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
WTF? LOL: http://i1.kym-cdn.com...
San Andreas: http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
Call of Duty: http://i3.kym-cdn.com...
Red Dead Redemption: http://i2.kym-cdn.com...
Brady Campaign: http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
Flower Power: http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
Drones Forwar: http://i2.kym-cdn.com...
Kennedy: http://i2.kym-cdn.com...
Rambo: http://i0.kym-cdn.com...
The Apple iGun: http://i2.kym-cdn.com...
HEINEKEN MADE THIS ONE: http://i2.kym-cdn.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Nidhogg
Posts: 503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 8:49:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Can't wait for Geo to show up, he'll probably say the Kennedy one is real.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 11:01:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

I thought that too when I first saw the picture, who the hell is shooting clay pigeons horizontal to them?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
thett3
Posts: 14,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 11:26:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/3/2013 11:01:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

I thought that too when I first saw the picture, who the hell is shooting clay pigeons horizontal to them?

It happens occasionally that they go side to side like that, but I admit its not very common
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:03:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/3/2013 11:26:52 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 11:01:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

I thought that too when I first saw the picture, who the hell is shooting clay pigeons horizontal to them?

It happens occasionally that they go side to side like that, but I admit its not very common

Plus I don't think you ever try to shoot a misfired clay pigeon, not safe. It just looks like there is something more to the picture. It'd make sense if he were elevated or something.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:44:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/3/2013 11:01:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

I thought that too when I first saw the picture, who the hell is shooting clay pigeons horizontal to them?

he's shooting trap (I think...since the gun went off, I assume he's shooting at. something).

Trap is much more common than skeet. Skeet is a b!tch and requires a lot of footwork. Trap is a lot more finesse...

Instead of being on either side of you, the trap house is in front of you. Depending on what position you're in (1&5) you can get some pretty extreme side shots, but it's a lot different than skeet. Continental or 5-stand are possibilities as well, but trap is more likely given how new at it he appears (though, he's basically holding the gun correctly)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:45:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

It actually depends on which station. For station 1, he might look like that. But he seemed to be in a middle station, implying a fake or he's really bad at the sport.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:46:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:03:05 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 11:26:52 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 11:01:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

I thought that too when I first saw the picture, who the hell is shooting clay pigeons horizontal to them?

It happens occasionally that they go side to side like that, but I admit its not very common

Plus I don't think you ever try to shoot a misfired clay pigeon, not safe. It just looks like there is something more to the picture. It'd make sense if he were elevated or something.

I shoot at misfired clays all the time. it's not dangerous, it's disadvantageous.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:47:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:44:27 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/3/2013 11:01:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

I thought that too when I first saw the picture, who the hell is shooting clay pigeons horizontal to them?

he's shooting trap (I think...since the gun went off, I assume he's shooting at. something).


Trap is much more common than skeet. Skeet is a b!tch and requires a lot of footwork. Trap is a lot more finesse...

Skeet is so much better.



Instead of being on either side of you, the trap house is in front of you. Depending on what position you're in (1&5) you can get some pretty extreme side shots, but it's a lot different than skeet. Continental or 5-stand are possibilities as well, but trap is more likely given how new at it he appears (though, he's basically holding the gun correctly)

On station 1 & 7 he could still look like that.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:52:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
White House: "Warning, do not photoshop this picture."

*Prompts people to proudly photoshop it even more.*
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:52:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:47:14 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/4/2013 12:44:27 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/3/2013 11:01:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/3/2013 10:25:43 PM, DanT wrote:
He wasn't really skeet shooting.

Real Skeet shooters;
http://i.usatoday.net...
http://texastrailrides.com...

Obama;
http://graphics8.nytimes.com...

I thought that too when I first saw the picture, who the hell is shooting clay pigeons horizontal to them?

he's shooting trap (I think...since the gun went off, I assume he's shooting at. something).


Trap is much more common than skeet. Skeet is a b!tch and requires a lot of footwork. Trap is a lot more finesse...

Skeet is so much better.



Instead of being on either side of you, the trap house is in front of you. Depending on what position you're in (1&5) you can get some pretty extreme side shots, but it's a lot different than skeet. Continental or 5-stand are possibilities as well, but trap is more likely given how new at it he appears (though, he's basically holding the gun correctly)

On station 1 & 7 he could still look like that.

I like sporting clays and 5 stand. not a big skeet fan, but I need a little shorter barrel to be swinging it all about like you do in skeet (another reason I think he's doing trap...looks like he's rockin a 32" barrel, and I would think 26-28 would be more approriate for skeet)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 12:53:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I believe the official statement is that he was shooting skeet, not trap, which is why it came up. Also what's with the smoke that looks like its coming out the side of the barrel?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 2:54:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/4/2013 12:53:49 AM, lewis20 wrote:
I believe the official statement is that he was shooting skeet, not trap, which is why it came up. Also what's with the smoke that looks like its coming out the side of the barrel?

Sport shotguns have vented barrels. You're popping off 25 - 50 shells at a time as opposed to 1 - 5 when you're hunting. The barrels get pretty hot which can lead to them distorting.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2013 10:55:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I looked it up, ported barrels are supposed to help with the recoil, though it depends on the load as to whether or not its effective.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 2:35:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/4/2013 10:55:48 AM, lewis20 wrote:
I looked it up, ported barrels are supposed to help with the recoil, though it depends on the load as to whether or not its effective.

My barrel on the ol' 1100 ain't ported, but then again, it uses the gas from the expended shell to work against the recoil.

What do I know? I'm just makin' it up as I go

http://www.freakingnews.com...

^^my contribution to the meme world.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...