Jump to topic:

A Politician's Annus Mirabilis

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2009 3:09:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Usually in history, there stands out quite a few major movers and shakers in the political establishment. All are controversial, and all invariably end up with a major legacy of some sort known by all, either positively or negatively.

At some point in the tenures of these politicians, there is a time when their power, their reputation and their legacy is assured. This is sometimes referred as the "turning point," the "defining moments," or the "annus mirabilis" (meaning "wonderful year" in Latin) and is remembered by almost everyone within that given time period.

Given the amount of knowledge on this website about politicians, both old and new, and their legacies, I was wondering whether people would be interested in talking about the annus mirabilis for whatever major politician they desire - George Bush, Ronald Reagan, Indira Ghandi (of which an article on I got this idea from), Saddam Hussein, Tony Blair - anyone that is known almost universally known, or at least a major figure from the country you live in.

For example; George Bush's annus mirabilis in my opinion was 2003, when the invasion in Iraq was not only successful, but seen as a very good thing indeed. The wind was at his back, and he earned the respect of a majority of the American populace which nearly denied him a term in office only three years before, as well as international praise (mostly). And even though it didn't turn out to be what was expected, Iraq will be the defining legacy of Bush's time in office - obviously for worse.

I think this topic would be fun if enough people participated, and it brings into mind exactly what it is that defines a presidency or mandate that is famous, from those that will most likely be forgotten in the annals of history.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2009 4:24:17 PM
Obama's career really took off after his speech at the 200 Democratic National Convention. His career took off like a rocket after that speech and he became a national figure almost over night. This isn't exactly what you were talking about. It wasn't a turning point in his career, but it was the launching pad.

Similarly, Sarah Palin's would be her speech at the 2008 RNC - the pitbull with lipstick speech. That has proven to have similarly career launching implications.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2009 10:15:19 AM
Robert Mugabe reached his annus mirabilis in 1980--before he caused hyperinflation, before he created a youth league that has murdered and raped hundreds of thousands, before he caused massive famine by taking over farms, before he became engaged in the Congo, before he became an authoritarian dictator--when he pwned the British.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...