Jump to topic:

To What Extent...

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 12:52:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To what extent is our protection to be left in the hands of police?

If we give up our gun rights how responsible are the police if they fail to protect us in a situation where owning our own firearm would help?

This is for people who think all guns are bad, not just assault rifles.
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:06:38 PM
At 2/8/2013 12:52:25 PM, pozessed wrote:

If we give up our gun rights how responsible are the police if they fail to protect us in a situation where owning our own firearm would help?

They are no more and no less responsible. Police are purposed with enforcing the Law. If we give up our gun rights, we forfeit our right for supplemental protection.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:12:40 PM
At 2/8/2013 12:52:25 PM, pozessed wrote:

I think that would come down to are they better at than we are...if you own a gun you are something like 40 times more likely to shoot someone by mistake than yo are to effectively use the gun to protect yourself.

Cops do make mistakes, but I don't think it's anything close to shooting the wrong person 40 times for every one that wasn't a mistake.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:42:00 PM
Your right to bear arms has more to do with the arms of a bear than it does with protection.

The amendment doesn't say, "protecting property on one's own, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed"

The gun isn't there to protect you. It's there to protect liberty and justice for all against tyranny.

Everyone wants gun rights. No one wants gun responsibilities.

NO SOUP FOR YOU.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...