Jump to topic:

rahn pahl u wot?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:01:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The foreigners who own Ron Paul.com are trying to extort money from Ron Paul and use his trademarked name for profits. Now they're trying to sell Ron Paul the domain for $250,000.00.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:33:34 AM
first they wanted 800,000. honestly their demands are so unreasonable.... but it's their property they should be able to charge whatever they want for it.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:36:46 AM
At 2/10/2013 2:33:34 AM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:
first they wanted 800,000. honestly their demands are so unreasonable.... but it's their property they should be able to charge whatever they want for it.

But Ron Paul trademarked his name "Ron Paul" long before that site had the domain from what I understand. I think that the site owners have the domain illegitimately.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:54:45 AM
Austrians don't believe in intellectual property although, to be fair, I've never heard him take a stance against intellectual property.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 5:11:41 AM
At 2/10/2013 2:36:46 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

But Ron Paul trademarked his name "Ron Paul" long before that site had the domain from what I understand. I think that the site owners have the domain illegitimately.

"Trademark" is nonsense, and it is not recognized in Australia. You cannot own a name or an idea.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 7:34:28 AM
At 2/10/2013 2:36:46 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

A. He can't trademark his name. 87 other people in The US have his name and no judge in their right mind would sign off on this trademark.

B. The site is nearly 13 years old and by itself, without the mailing list of 170,000 supporters that he could milk for donations which was a part of the deal, is worth between $42,000 and $83,000.

http://www.worthofweb.com...

http://www.yourwebsitevalue.com...

The asking price is more than fair, and they offered to give him ronpaul.org AND actively promote that site on theirs (and all these people have been doing is gushing all over the man since they opened up shop)

WTF? Ron Paul going to the UN and using an organization he has spent his entire career criticizing and demonizing isn't a mistake - it's the hypocritical move of the new century so far.

Also, what evidence do you have that these people are foreigners?
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 12:43:17 PM
He is certainly in the wrong. Its pretty minor, and pretty minor hypocracy as I'm not even sure he is against IP.
However, his shtick is his integrity, so the response to this is not disproportionate. The cleaner you are the more the small stuff stands out.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:06:58 PM
At 2/10/2013 12:43:17 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
He is certainly in the wrong. Its pretty minor, and pretty minor hypocracy as I'm not even sure he is against IP.
However, his shtick is his integrity, so the response to this is not disproportionate. The cleaner you are the more the small stuff stands out.

He's against the UN.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:33:37 PM
At 2/10/2013 5:29:02 AM, Kinesis wrote:
He went to the UN? O.o

Thats what bewilders me too!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:12:08 PM
Da faq?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:23:26 PM
Did anybody read what I fvckin wrote? Foreigners own the site. If they were in America they he could have handled it with the U.S. courts.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:32:22 PM
At 2/10/2013 2:23:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Did anybody read what I fvckin wrote? Foreigners own the site. If they were in America they he could have handled it with the U.S. courts.

I went looking for their country of origin and couldn't find it, which is why asked for your evidence of this.

Also, the owners seemed pretty willing to deal, and deal fairly...they're pretty large supporters of Paul. It didn't seem to need to go to any court, US or otherwise.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:34:24 PM

Incorrect, but your point isn't.

The site itself is registered outside of the country, hence the requirement of getting the UN involved. But the people who own the site, well I don't know where they live or who they are, and I'm quite sure that you don't either.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:35:54 PM

Or he could just, you know, buy it off them.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 2:45:33 PM
At 2/10/2013 2:32:22 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

I went looking for their country of origin and couldn't find it, which is why asked for your evidence of this.

My comment was primarily aimed at royalidiot who saw that I said foreigners own yet proceeded to bash Ron Paul for using a U.N. tribunal, which btw, most of this is done by his lawyers and handlers.

A user at the Daily Paul said foreigners own Ron Paul.com, it's not a farfetched claim so I felt no need to double check.

Also, the owners seemed pretty willing to deal, and deal fairly...they're pretty large supporters of Paul. It didn't seem to need to go to any court, US or otherwise.

He probably doesn't want another newsletter incident so he wants control of the site, but they're charging him a quarter million dollars, plus they already made large profits of the site.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 3:03:08 PM
At 2/10/2013 2:34:24 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Incorrect, but your point isn't.

The site itself is registered outside of the country, hence the requirement of getting the UN involved. But the people who own the site, well I don't know where they live or who they are, and I'm quite sure that you don't either.

Ok, that makes sense.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 3:56:00 PM
At 2/10/2013 2:45:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

My comment was primarily aimed at royalidiot who saw that I said foreigners own yet proceeded to bash Ron Paul for using a U.N. tribunal, which btw, most of this is done by his lawyers and handlers.

A user at the Daily Paul said foreigners own Ron Paul.com, it's not a farfetched claim so I felt no need to double check.

He probably doesn't want another newsletter incident so he wants control of the site, but they're charging him a quarter million dollars, plus they already made large profits of the site.

First off, there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the site saying that they are in no way affiliated or supported by Ron Paul.

Secondly, they have supported Ron Paul for the past decade, with no issues until now.

Thirdly, they own the site. It is their property. Therefore they can charge whatever they want for it. But what they are mostly charging for is the mailing list, which is worth that much by istelf. The site itself is worth about fifty grand.

Finally, they offered him a domain free of charge. And instead of thanking them, he brings them to court.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 5:27:58 PM
At 2/10/2013 3:57:56 PM, Wnope wrote:
I was sure this was a joke article.

"Ron Paul goes to UN over intellectual property rights dispute."

LOL
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 5:54:19 PM
At 2/10/2013 2:45:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I didn't care...I went searching. On facebook, they are connected to Americans, almost exclusively. Dude's name is "Tim Martin" which could be fake, but could be not...I don't know.

I was hoping you had a real source for this.

I didn't rely on either side's analysis of the site's worth, either, and did my own independent, double sourced research to determine that $250K was a very fair, and quickly recoup-able amount to ask for what they were offering (which was more than just the site).

So, their true origin remains a mystery, but the lack of need for this legal move doesn't - it was unnecessary and necessarily hypocritical.

It's not far-fetched, but it's far from known.

Aren't these large profits EXACTLY the thing I keep hearing from Paul supporters as the great public good of the Free Market System. And, they are generously charging at or below the market price for that which they offered, when as a monopoly, they could have gouged the f*ck out of Paul, but didn't.

I fail to see why Paul doesn't negotiate them down to $200K and pay the money, using the free market system of which is so strongly advocates.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 5:55:28 PM
The unregulated, free market is awesome until you have to avail yourself of it, huh?