Jump to topic:

Thomas Sowell

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 4:30:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have heard quite a bit of biased info about him. Could I get a fair balance of info/bias about him, to know a little more on him? Is he a good example of a conservative, or a bad example?
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 4:42:25 PM
At 2/12/2013 4:30:37 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I have heard quite a bit of biased info about him. Could I get a fair balance of info/bias about him, to know a little more on him? Is he a good example of a conservative, or a bad example?

Tom Sowell is a prolific writer whose made a profound impact on the conservative movement. He was who I first started to read, and I still take his commentary on race pretty seriously. I feel like Roy Latham is the closest thing we have to Sowell here, and I've seen him mention Sowell several times.

Not to brag, but I exchanged emails with the man years ago back when I regularly read his columns on townhall.com. He's essentially a secular, empiricist conservative which is an interesting blend of ideologies. I would really love to know his opinion on abortion; I've hunted for years on it but to no avail. It gets interesting when Sowell comments on social issues due his empiricism but also his connection with the conservative base which I imagine can cause some tension.

As for now, I still read his columns but his empiricism no longer appeals to me.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 4:46:44 PM
At 2/12/2013 4:42:25 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:30:37 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Tom Sowell is a prolific writer whose made a profound impact on the conservative movement. He was who I first started to read, and I still take his commentary on race pretty seriously. I feel like Roy Latham is the closest thing we have to Sowell here, and I've seen him mention Sowell several times.

Not to brag, but I exchanged emails with the man years ago back when I regularly read his columns on townhall.com. He's essentially a secular, empiricist conservative which is an interesting blend of ideologies. I would really love to know his opinion on abortion; I've hunted for years on it but to no avail. It gets interesting when Sowell comments on social issues due his empiricism but also his connection with the conservative base which I imagine can cause some tension.

As for now, I still read his columns but his empiricism no longer appeals to me.

Thank you, he seems to get a decent amount of coverage, not all that much, but he is still mentioned every now and then. I have read some of his quotes, both good and bad, it's sort of a love-hate thing for me so far. Sometimes he says idiotic, absurd things, sometimes he says intelligent things that I fully agree with.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 5:27:30 PM
What are the dumb things Sowell has said?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 7:20:32 PM
At 2/12/2013 5:27:30 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Wait, are you asking me to tell you, or are you claiming what he said in that video is dumb? Because I think what he said in that video was pretty intelligent.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 7:36:35 PM
I'm asking what he's said that's dumb.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 11:47:15 AM
At 2/12/2013 7:20:32 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:27:30 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Wait, are you asking me to tell you, or are you claiming what he said in that video is dumb? Because I think what he said in that video was pretty intelligent.

This is a very intelligent video.

I think the key detrimental aspect of welfare that Dr. Sowell points out is that at some point, it is taken away once someone becomes more productive, thus rewarding failure.

The ostensible solution to this would be to provide a social safety net for ANYONE in ANY situation. Therefore, billionaires would receive the same amount of state-subsidized welfare that someone at the "bottom 20%" would also receive. In such a system, you no longer incentivize failure, and thus solve the problems that Dr. Sowell is railing against (which are indeed very real-world problems).

The only question is, are we wealthy enough as a society to institute such a program?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?