Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Land of the Free to Spread Freedom

1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 5:28:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

I personally think that if you think your ideology is so important that blood should be shed to spread it, you are deluded. This is not a PA against you, just in general.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 5:31:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you're one person and you want more freedom, wouldn't you rather move to another country than fight for more freedom in your own?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 5:54:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:45:59 PM, Kinesis wrote:
It's a lot harder to do that. :/

But there have been revolutions. France used to be a monarchy, bu now it is a republic.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 5:55:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:31:28 PM, lewis20 wrote:
If you're one person and you want more freedom, wouldn't you rather move to another country than fight for more freedom in your own?

No, it would fight for freedom in my own country. The Americans fought in their own colonies, they did not move.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 6:01:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:28:15 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

I personally think that if you think your ideology is so important that blood should be shed to spread it, you are deluded. This is not a PA against you, just in general.

Not blood anyway. Freedom is not an ideology.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 7:00:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:54:42 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:45:59 PM, Kinesis wrote:
It's a lot harder to do that. :/

But there have been revolutions. France used to be a monarchy, bu now it is a republic.

Yeah and that turned out to be quick, clean, and painless right? (/sarcasm)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 7:05:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 6:01:09 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:28:15 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

I personally think that if you think your ideology is so important that blood should be shed to spread it, you are deluded. This is not a PA against you, just in general.

Not blood anyway. Freedom is not an ideology.

But when we spread freedom, do we simply liberate the countries then leave? If we did this, we would have had no problem with the Islamic Jihad in Afghanistan, or Iran, or Egypt, or we would have had no problem with democratic elections to re unite Vietnam.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 7:05:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's a great idea to kill a bunch of people for "freedom".
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 7:33:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today.

Hold on, now. The idea that immigrants moved to the US because it was the "land of the free" is nice-sounding propaganda, but its mostly untrue. Most immigrants came to the United States because there were a lot of jobs required basic skills and manual labour available. Even if they came to the US thinking about "freedom," they were certainly let down, given that most immigrants - especially minorities - faced economic, political, and social discrimination on a huge scale. The "Land of the free" shouldn't include systemic discrimination

However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

This part is just, well, kind of stupid. You're asking individuals to risk their lives, and their family's lives, by taking on a burden that may be theirs alone to carry. That's a bit much to ask of someone, when you have the option of moving to another country that bills itself as "the Land of the Free."

Plus, you're maybe forgetting the fact that despite the millions of immigrants that came to the United States, most non-Americans didn't actually leave their country. There were hundreds of revolutions in dozens of nations throughout modern history, brought about by their domestic populations. Maybe even inspired by the American example. How can you basically imply that these things didn't happen? You're not much of a "history genius."
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:46:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:55:55 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:31:28 PM, lewis20 wrote:
If you're one person and you want more freedom, wouldn't you rather move to another country than fight for more freedom in your own?

No, it would fight for freedom in my own country. The Americans fought in their own colonies, they did not move.

Um, in case you didn't realize, the United States was founded by a bunch of people who fled various European monarchies.

They moved about as far as they could before fighting, they didn't just fight a revolution where they were born.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:47:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There's certainly nothing wrong with the forces freedom spreading-- or concentrating-- mind you. These are strategies contingent on the situation.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 10:42:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:54:42 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:45:59 PM, Kinesis wrote:
It's a lot harder to do that. :/

But there have been revolutions. France used to be a monarchy, bu now it is a republic.

France is on their 5th try at a republic, a lot more complicated than a monarchy to a republic.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:05:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 7:33:33 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today.

Hold on, now. The idea that immigrants moved to the US because it was the "land of the free" is nice-sounding propaganda, but its mostly untrue. Most immigrants came to the United States because there were a lot of jobs required basic skills and manual labour available. Even if they came to the US thinking about "freedom," they were certainly let down, given that most immigrants - especially minorities - faced economic, political, and social discrimination on a huge scale. The "Land of the free" shouldn't include systemic discrimination

Wrong, a lot of them came here to escape religious persecution, the slavs of Russia came here to escape persecution, the early pilgrims and Puritans all came here to escape religious persecution. French came here to escape Napoleon's reign during the French Revolution, Germans to escape Hitler and the Kaiser in WWII, Chinese to escape Mao. Koreans and Vietnamese came here to escape persecution, the thousands of Cuban immigrants all came here to escape persecution. Think about what you say before you say it lad.

However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

This part is just, well, kind of stupid. You're asking individuals to risk their lives, and their family's lives, by taking on a burden that may be theirs alone to carry. That's a bit much to ask of someone, when you have the option of moving to another country that bills itself as "the Land of the Free."

I guess we'll just take on a population of 2 billion.

Plus, you're maybe forgetting the fact that despite the millions of immigrants that came to the United States, most non-Americans didn't actually leave their country. There were hundreds of revolutions in dozens of nations throughout modern history, brought about by their domestic populations. Maybe even inspired by the American example. How can you basically imply that these things didn't happen? You're not much of a "history genius."
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:02:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 7:05:42 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
Wrong, a lot of them came here to escape religious persecution, the slavs of Russia came here to escape persecution, the early pilgrims and Puritans all came here to escape religious persecution. French came here to escape Napoleon's reign during the French Revolution, Germans to escape Hitler and the Kaiser in WWII, Chinese to escape Mao. Koreans and Vietnamese came here to escape persecution, the thousands of Cuban immigrants all came here to escape persecution. Think about what you say before you say it lad.

I don't think I said that there was a sole reason for immigration into the US, but you can't sit there and seriously expect me to believe that all these people chose the US as the destination simply because they wanted to escape religious persecution - they chose the US because it had economic opportunity and needed these immigrants to fill up their rosters. If they chose that in conjunction with the fact that they're fleeing oppression, my point isn't any less valid.

However, I'd remind you again that the United States, especially from the 1950's to 1980's, was not a bastion of religious tolerance in terms of society. Legally, and thankfully, there were safeguards to stop any widespread oppression - but socially, non-Christians were outcasts, especially those with a skin colour too dark for a WASP's taste. I mean, JFK's Catholic heritage was controversial when he ran for President! How is that the sign of a religiously tolerant society?

The availability of employment was, and probably still is, the biggest reasons for immigration into the US. Not the only reason, but definitely the biggest.

However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

This part is just, well, kind of stupid. You're asking individuals to risk their lives, and their family's lives, by taking on a burden that may be theirs alone to carry. That's a bit much to ask of someone, when you have the option of moving to another country that bills itself as "the Land of the Free."

I guess we'll just take on a population of 2 billion.

You say that, then ignore the rest of my statement. What?


Plus, you're maybe forgetting the fact that despite the millions of immigrants that came to the United States, most non-Americans didn't actually leave their country. There were hundreds of revolutions in dozens of nations throughout modern history, brought about by their domestic populations. Maybe even inspired by the American example. How can you basically imply that these things didn't happen? You're not much of a "history genius."
jzonda415
Posts: 151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:23:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

I don't know why we don't. Look at places like Mali, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and Syria and tell me that they don't need a few of our morals and liberties. They are unstable beyond belief, and just image those countries with a few of America's values. The world will be 1000% safer without unstable countries like those. So, let's get over this idea of isolation and fix the sordid dark corners of the world.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:34:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 9:23:28 PM, jzonda415 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

I don't know why we don't. Look at places like Mali, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and Syria and tell me that they don't need a few of our morals and liberties. They are unstable beyond belief, and just image those countries with a few of America's values. The world will be 1000% safer without unstable countries like those. So, let's get over this idea of isolation and fix the sordid dark corners of the world.

In every country you mention we are either condemn with every other word, don't find important enough for attention or have a vested interest in keeping them in their current situations because, as Condoleezza Rice so elegantly pointed out, we value stability over democracy in the middle east.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:39:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 9:34:38 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 9:23:28 PM, jzonda415 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

I don't know why we don't. Look at places like Mali, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and Syria and tell me that they don't need a few of our morals and liberties. They are unstable beyond belief, and just image those countries with a few of America's values. The world will be 1000% safer without unstable countries like those. So, let's get over this idea of isolation and fix the sordid dark corners of the world.

In every country you mention we are either condemn with every other word, don't find important enough for attention or have a vested interest in keeping them in their current situations because, as Condoleezza Rice so elegantly pointed out, we value stability over democracy in the middle east.

Wiser words have never been spoken
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:43:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 9:39:00 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/13/2013 9:34:38 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 9:23:28 PM, jzonda415 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

I don't know why we don't. Look at places like Mali, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and Syria and tell me that they don't need a few of our morals and liberties. They are unstable beyond belief, and just image those countries with a few of America's values. The world will be 1000% safer without unstable countries like those. So, let's get over this idea of isolation and fix the sordid dark corners of the world.

In every country you mention we are either condemn with every other word, don't find important enough for attention or have a vested interest in keeping them in their current situations because, as Condoleezza Rice so elegantly pointed out, we value stability over democracy in the middle east.

Wiser words have never been spoken

Exact quote:
"For 60 years, my country, the United States, pursued stability at the expense of democracy in this region, here in the Middle East, and we achieved neither."
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:20:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 7:00:13 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:54:42 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:45:59 PM, Kinesis wrote:
It's a lot harder to do that. :/

But there have been revolutions. France used to be a monarchy, bu now it is a republic.

Yeah and that turned out to be quick, clean, and painless right? (/sarcasm)

No one says its easy.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:24:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 7:33:33 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today.

Hold on, now. The idea that immigrants moved to the US because it was the "land of the free" is nice-sounding propaganda, but its mostly untrue. Most immigrants came to the United States because there were a lot of jobs required basic skills and manual labour available. Even if they came to the US thinking about "freedom," they were certainly let down, given that most immigrants - especially minorities - faced economic, political, and social discrimination on a huge scale. The "Land of the free" shouldn't include systemic discrimination

However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

This part is just, well, kind of stupid. You're asking individuals to risk their lives, and their family's lives, by taking on a burden that may be theirs alone to carry. That's a bit much to ask of someone, when you have the option of moving to another country that bills itself as "the Land of the Free."

Plus, you're maybe forgetting the fact that despite the millions of immigrants that came to the United States, most non-Americans didn't actually leave their country. There were hundreds of revolutions in dozens of nations throughout modern history, brought about by their domestic populations. Maybe even inspired by the American example. How can you basically imply that these things didn't happen? You're not much of a "history genius."

What's wrong us proving that freedom that works. I don't think violence is needed to get our point across. Countries should just look at us to prove that a free nation is better than an authoritarian one. I did not imply that these things did not happen, I already stated the French republic. I know many revolutions happened, but I am talking about th modern world today that it is better to encourage other nations to become more free rather than having people from all those nations move here today not in the past.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:39:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Look at Botswana for example, most nations in Africa are incredibly poor, but Botswana has developed a free and capitalist society and has great economic growth.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 1:56:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 11:39:11 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Look at Botswana for example, most nations in Africa are incredibly poor, but Botswana has developed a free and capitalist society and has great economic growth.

It's a good thing America took the time and money to bomb Botswana into a prosperous capitalist society, right?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 2:37:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

Define freedom please, I wouldn't say the US Proves that "freedom works" given the massive amount of governmental power we have today
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 3:17:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 2:37:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?


Define freedom please, I wouldn't say the US Proves that "freedom works" given the massive amount of governmental power we have today

We are not corrupt amigo, we represent freedom, that is still one thing we still do represent.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 3:26:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 2:37:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?


Define freedom please, I wouldn't say the US Proves that "freedom works" given the massive amount of governmental power we have today

We also are in the top 15% of most democratic nations, we, along with only 11.3% of the world population, live in 'full democracies', the least corrupt and most fair form of democracy. 37.1% Of the world population live in flawed democracies, 14.0% in hybrid regimes, and 37.6% in authoritarian regimes.
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 4:45:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 3:17:03 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 2:37:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?


Define freedom please, I wouldn't say the US Proves that "freedom works" given the massive amount of governmental power we have today

We are not corrupt amigo,

No one said corruption, but incidentally: http://www.cato.org...

we represent freedom, that is still one thing we still do represent.

I dont think you understand what "freedom" means


http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 4:46:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 3:26:36 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 2:37:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today. However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?


Define freedom please, I wouldn't say the US Proves that "freedom works" given the massive amount of governmental power we have today

We also are in the top 15% of most democratic nations, we, along with only 11.3% of the world population, live in 'full democracies', the least corrupt and most fair form of democracy.

A) Democracy =/= freedom. You should know that dawg
B) Thats like being the richest man in the poor house

37.1% Of the world population live in flawed democracies, 14.0% in hybrid regimes, and 37.6% in authoritarian regimes.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 5:28:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 7:05:42 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/12/2013 7:33:33 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/12/2013 4:41:44 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Many people consider the United States the land of the free and this is why people have emigrated to this country in the past and today.

Hold on, now. The idea that immigrants moved to the US because it was the "land of the free" is nice-sounding propaganda, but its mostly untrue. Most immigrants came to the United States because there were a lot of jobs required basic skills and manual labour available. Even if they came to the US thinking about "freedom," they were certainly let down, given that most immigrants - especially minorities - faced economic, political, and social discrimination on a huge scale. The "Land of the free" shouldn't include systemic discrimination

Wrong, a lot of them came here to escape religious persecution, the slavs of Russia came here to escape persecution, the early pilgrims and Puritans all came here to escape religious persecution. French came here to escape Napoleon's reign during the French Revolution, Germans to escape Hitler and the Kaiser in WWII, Chinese to escape Mao. Koreans and Vietnamese came here to escape persecution, the thousands of Cuban immigrants all came here to escape persecution. Think about what you say before you say it lad.

This comment strains credulity. First of all, nothing volkov said was wrong. Second, some of your "escape persecution" cases are simply inaccurate. The Koreans and Vietnamese came here because their respective countries were being destroyed in proxy wars between the USSR and the US. There are more German immigrants in America than any other European country, and nearly all of them came before the Nazis even existed. The only reason why Chinese immigrants are known to "escape Mao" is because of the Chinese Exclusion Act that had barred Chinese immigration for nearly 100 years prior.

However, I have not always seen it like that. I feel that as the land of the free, we are the leading example that freedom works, so it should be spread to other countries. Rather than leaving your country for our country, why not fight for freedom in your country to make the world have more freedom, more happiness, and more wealth?

This part is just, well, kind of stupid. You're asking individuals to risk their lives, and their family's lives, by taking on a burden that may be theirs alone to carry. That's a bit much to ask of someone, when you have the option of moving to another country that bills itself as "the Land of the Free."

I guess we'll just take on a population of 2 billion.

The real paradox comes in your usage of the word "freedom". Freedom is not free. Yes, it is something one needs to fight for, but also strangely enough, it is WEALTH that buys freedom. Wealth usually amalgamates to a hegemon. We are most certainly a hegemon, since WWII. We, and our protectorates, have been exceptionally wealthy compared to the rest of the world during this time.

Plus, you're maybe forgetting the fact that despite the millions of immigrants that came to the United States, most non-Americans didn't actually leave their country. There were hundreds of revolutions in dozens of nations throughout modern history, brought about by their domestic populations. Maybe even inspired by the American example. How can you basically imply that these things didn't happen? You're not much of a "history genius."
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?