Republican Response to State of the Union

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 11:05:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Rand Paul Made Marco Rubio Look Establishment

Although Rubio himself was elected with Tea Party support, he looked like a presidential wannabe. He stood before a grand window framed by heavy brocade curtains and an American flag, with a family picture artfully placed in the backdrop. Even his pale blue tie, by chance, resembled the president"s.

Paul, in stark contrast, stood before a plain brown screen adorned only with the logo and URL of Tea Party Express. And while Rubio was immaculately groomed, Paul looked"as usual"like a barber"s nightmare.

Rubio opened his response with a stirring account of his immigrant family"s history, while Paul jumped right into attacking Obama for borrowing, he said, $50,000 a second. Both men criticized Obama for promoting big government and high taxes. But only Paul called for a balanced budget amendment.

Where Rubio was careful to say that the Republicans" Medicare plan would hold current beneficiaries harmless, Paul made no such promise. He said, "Big government"s not your friend. The president offers you free stuff, but his policies keep you poor."
Rubio mentioned nothing about drone attacks, which polls show are supported by a majority of Americans. Paul, clearly not trying to win an election, condemned the president for having a secret list of people to be killed without a trial.

Rubio, his eyes glistening, made a quietly reasoned case for small government. Paul threw rhetorical bombs. If Congress doesn"t do right, he said, "Sweep the place clean. Limit their terms and send them home." And by that he meant Democrats and Republicans alike.

http://mobile.businessweek.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 11:16:37 AM
At 2/13/2013 11:05:59 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Although Rubio himself was elected with Tea Party support, he looked like a presidential wannabe. He stood before a grand window framed by heavy brocade curtains and an American flag, with a family picture artfully placed in the backdrop. Even his pale blue tie, by chance, resembled the president"s.

Paul, in stark contrast, stood before a plain brown screen adorned only with the logo and URL of Tea Party Express. And while Rubio was immaculately groomed, Paul looked"as usual"like a barber"s nightmare.

Rubio opened his response with a stirring account of his immigrant family"s history, while Paul jumped right into attacking Obama for borrowing, he said, $50,000 a second. Both men criticized Obama for promoting big government and high taxes. But only Paul called for a balanced budget amendment.

Where Rubio was careful to say that the Republicans" Medicare plan would hold current beneficiaries harmless, Paul made no such promise. He said, "Big government"s not your friend. The president offers you free stuff, but his policies keep you poor."
Rubio mentioned nothing about drone attacks, which polls show are supported by a majority of Americans. Paul, clearly not trying to win an election, condemned the president for having a secret list of people to be killed without a trial.

Rubio, his eyes glistening, made a quietly reasoned case for small government. Paul threw rhetorical bombs. If Congress doesn"t do right, he said, "Sweep the place clean. Limit their terms and send them home." And by that he meant Democrats and Republicans alike.

I noticed that. Rubio looked like he was trying too hard.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 12:10:56 PM
Hold on let me get a drink of water!

http://www.politico.com...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:11:30 PM

While I do agree more with Rand and Ron Paul, they will never be elected since they are borderline Anarchists. Rubio is more palatable to the American public.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:14:51 PM
At 2/13/2013 12:10:56 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
Hold on let me get a drink of water!

http://www.politico.com...

Ah, fact checking has turned in to a joke, but I will also give a fact check to Obama's address, since you refuse to do this.

http://www.csmonitor.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:15:54 PM

Well, yeah, 'cause he is establishment. He was asked to make the response - can't get much more into the party establishment than that.

As for a rebuttle - eh, most of his remarks are too generalized to make good rebuttal to. There are specific things here and there - like how he didn't really seem to respond to the SOTU so much as parrot the regular Congressional Republican talking poins - but everything was touchy-feely and generalized. So was the SOTU in a lot of places, though I preferred Obama's over Rubio's. Yet to see Paul's.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:20:17 PM
At 2/13/2013 6:11:30 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
While I do agree more with Rand and Ron Paul, they will never be elected since they are borderline Anarchists. Rubio is more palatable to the American public.

1. Bill O'Reilly prefers Rand Paul. www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1NRwDFGWQ

2. Michael Savage prefers Rand Paul. Kimberly Guilfoyle prefers Rand Paul. Michelle Malkin, and I suspect Megyn Kelly as well.

3. Rand Paul can get the Libertarian base, Tea Party base, Conservative base, and many independents.

4. A study group on Hannity showed Romney supporters liking Obama's speech better, and Obama supporter liking Rubio's speech better. That's a bad sign for Rubio.

If O'Reilly likes Rand, there's no way he's border line anarchist.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:23:02 PM
At 2/13/2013 6:15:54 PM, Volkov wrote:

Well, yeah, 'cause he is establishment. He was asked to make the response - can't get much more into the party establishment than that.

As for a rebuttle - eh, most of his remarks are too generalized to make good rebuttal to. There are specific things here and there - like how he didn't really seem to respond to the SOTU so much as parrot the regular Congressional Republican talking poins - but everything was touchy-feely and generalized. So was the SOTU in a lot of places, though I preferred Obama's over Rubio's. Yet to see Paul's.

Agree, Obama at least had feeling to his, Rubio sounded fake.

Here's Rand's:
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:31:46 PM
At 2/13/2013 6:20:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 6:11:30 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

1. Bill O'Reilly prefers Rand Paul. www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1NRwDFGWQ

2. Michael Savage prefers Rand Paul. Kimberly Guilfoyle prefers Rand Paul. Michelle Malkin, and I suspect Megyn Kelly as well.

3. Rand Paul can get the Libertarian base, Tea Party base, Conservative base, and many independents.

4. A study group on Hannity showed Romney supporters liking Obama's speech better, and Obama supporter liking Rubio's speech better. That's a bad sign for Rubio.

If O'Reilly likes Rand, there's no way he's border line anarchist.

Where is your source for this? O'Reilly is a major war hawk, don't see how he would support someone who wants to completely slash our overseas budget and troops. Also, Rand, like his father, wants to crush unions, most Dems and moderates disagree w/ this. I could see Hannity, but you do get that most moderate reps agree that Paul is too far right, When has an independent ever won an election? They never have.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:40:31 PM
At 2/13/2013 6:23:02 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 6:15:54 PM, Volkov wrote:

Agree, Obama at least had feeling to his, Rubio sounded fake.

Here's Rand's:

Not bad, I always feel odd when someone makes a lot of sense in general terms, then I have to disagree with them when they try to go into specifics. Better than Rubio's though.

As to Paul actually having appeal... maybe, but the Tea Party does not. I don't think he is doing himself any favours by allying himself with the "official" Tea Party people. This group isn't looked upon positively by most. If Paul was smart, he'd disassociate himself more from the the TPers, build his own brand up like how is father did. There's no question that Rand seems less extreme in certain respects than his father is, so he could have some traction.