Jump to topic:

Ron Paul Did Not Go To UN for Domain

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 12:05:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Lew Rockwell: There is so much disinformation on this issue that I will probably have to post more than once, but here are a few points:

--Ron is not using the State to acquire RonPaul.com. He could have brought a lawsuit in US government courts, but he did not. He is seeking to have ICANN enforce its own rules against cybersquatting, including the rule against registering a famous person"s name and making money off it. Anyone registering a URL agrees to keep all the rules, just as he must pay a recurring fee. A URL is not private property in the normal sense. It is a license, and ICANN is a private, non-profit organization.

--Ron is not calling on the UN. ICANN has four approved arbitration organizations. Because the RP.com guys registered Ron's name in Australia, the international arbitration option must be used. Yes, it is associated with the UN. Too bad, but one must play the cards one is dealt. The UN itself is not involved, though note"whatever else is wrong with it"the UN is not a State.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...
http://ronpaulflix.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 12:55:39 PM
I was just about to post this! Not like anyone who was bringing Ron to task for this actually cared about him anyway... just a bunch of enemies looking for any excuse to attack him
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 1:25:27 PM
why now? why not 2 years ago? why not 6 years ago? or, why not negotiate on price?

I like Ron Paul to varying degrees (I'm not fanatical, but I respect the man), and I think this is a bullsh!t, hypocritical move on his part. he can avail himself of the free market to acquire the site, and it ain't like he had to just accept their first offer. that's what a negotiation is all about.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 5:24:57 PM
At 2/13/2013 1:25:27 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
why now? why not 2 years ago? why not 6 years ago?

Because Ron Paul is starting a new campaign since leaving office. He has something big up his sleeves but I think this url thing is hindering his big plans.

or, why not negotiate on price?

I like Ron Paul to varying degrees (I'm not fanatical, but I respect the man), and I think this is a bullsh!t, hypocritical move on his part. he can avail himself of the free market to acquire the site, and it ain't like he had to just accept their first offer. that's what a negotiation is all about.

Did you even read Lew Rockwell's response?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:04:49 PM
Why is this even an issue? How far does the stick need to be up someone's backside to get pissy over who Ron Paul went to ask for legal action to be taken?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:11:57 PM
At 2/13/2013 6:04:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
Why is this even an issue? How far does the stick need to be up someone's backside to get pissy over who Ron Paul went to ask for legal action to be taken?

The idiot mainstream media decided to nit pick because they couldn't get Ron Paul on anything else.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:11:22 PM
"why now? why not 2 years ago? why not 6 years ago? or, why not negotiate on price?"

Ron Paul felt it would have been inappropriate to take this action while an elected official.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:32:47 PM
At 2/13/2013 5:24:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/13/2013 1:25:27 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
why now? why not 2 years ago? why not 6 years ago?

Because Ron Paul is starting a new campaign since leaving office. He has something big up his sleeves but I think this url thing is hindering his big plans.

or, why not negotiate on price?

Did you even read Lew Rockwell's response?

It doesn't say why he just won't buy it from them...

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:34:50 PM
At 2/13/2013 6:04:49 PM, Volkov wrote:

HOLYSHIT, IT'S A GHOST
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 11:31:16 PM
I don't see any hypocrisy, even if Ron Paul HAD used the U.N.

I'm opposed to welfare, but you better believe I'm not going to turn it down if I were eligible! Doesn't mean I won't vote against it.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 11:44:26 PM
At 2/13/2013 11:07:35 PM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:
"It doesn't say why he just won't buy it from them..."

a quarter million dollars? for a domain name?

It's not just a domain name, and the domain name is worth @$80k all by itself.

It also comes with a 170K person mailing list, and if you think he couldn't recoup the costs of purchasing both in less than a month with that list given how rabidly fanatical his supporters are, then you're on crack.

They never asked for a million dollars or $800K or whatever. I've actually read the correspondence between both parties, and Ron Paul is in the wrong here, or he's at least being a giant hypocrite.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 11:46:31 PM
At 2/13/2013 11:44:26 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

It also comes with a 170K person mailing list, and if you think he couldn't recoup the costs of purchasing both in less than a month with that list given how rabidly fanatical his supporters are, then you're on crack.

They never asked for a million dollars or $800K or whatever. I've actually read the correspondence between both parties, and Ron Paul is in the wrong here, or he's at least being a giant hypocrite.

Also, have you never been in a negotiation before? $250K was the 1st offer. If Paul would have negotiated with them, I'm sure he could have gotten it down to between $175K and $200K.

brandon_lytle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 4:20:36 AM

How exactly did they come by that 170K person mailing list? Could they have obtained that mailing list without the use of Ron Pau's name? I don't think so. They obtain a huge mailing list using his name, and then attempt to charge him money to obtain that list? Talk about being a giant hypocrite...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 4:40:31 AM
At 2/17/2013 4:20:36 AM, brandon_lytle wrote:

How exactly did they come by that 170K person mailing list? Could they have obtained that mailing list without the use of Ron Pau's name? I don't think so. They obtain a huge mailing list using his name, and then attempt to charge him money to obtain that list? Talk about being a giant hypocrite...

These people have done nothing but support Paul since they opened their doors.

everybody on team Paul loved these guys unti they wouldn't allow 13 years of their lives' work to be stolen.

Now they're horrible and yada, yada, yada.

;P d: