Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Could We Be Headed for Another Depression?

ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:19:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
To be blunt, the first depression constituted a major crash (in this case, 2008), a recovery, then another deadly crash that destroyed the economy. Might we be in the midst of a slight recovery? Considering all it would take is one major business to go bankrupt for stocks to be back in the negatives and we could be in a double dip recession, or depression, what should we do to add more economic security?
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:25:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
We came very close to the textbook definition of a depression didn't we? It seems like our fiscal and monetary policy working as hard as they could only barely staved off a "depression" but they only delay or drag out the inevitable market correction. So we end up with what we have now, an excruciatingly slow 'recover' marked by fed easy money, an ever inflating stock market, high unemployment and huge deficit spending.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:26:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:25:05 AM, lewis20 wrote:
We came very close to the textbook definition of a depression didn't we? It seems like our fiscal and monetary policy working as hard as they could only barely staved off a "depression" but they only delay or drag out the inevitable market correction. So we end up with what we have now, an excruciatingly slow 'recover' marked by fed easy money, an ever inflating stock market, high unemployment and huge deficit spending.

Yep, I don't mind slow recovery, my main problem is that we are one or two bankruptcy's away (via major businesses), from a depression.
MichaelGonzales
Posts: 211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.

But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:30:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.


But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.

What kind of jobs though, thats the problem.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MichaelGonzales
Posts: 211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:31:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:30:20 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.


But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.

What kind of jobs though, thats the problem.

What kind of jobs will the sequestration kill? The kinds we don't want to lose. Defense and at-home.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:31:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.


But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.

I wish I could believe this, but it's mainly what the Pres. said at the State of the Union. Did you see that our GDP dropped 0.1% this quarter? That doesn't seem like a lot, but it is roughly 16.5 billion dollars.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:32:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:31:29 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.


But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.

I wish I could believe this, but it's mainly what the Pres. said at the State of the Union. Did you see that our GDP dropped 0.1% this quarter? That doesn't seem like a lot, but it is roughly 16.5 billion dollars.

Nevermind, didn't see what you said about sequestration, I guess that would explain the drop, coupled with the ending of the bush tax cuts.
MichaelGonzales
Posts: 211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:32:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:31:29 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.


But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.

I wish I could believe this, but it's mainly what the Pres. said at the State of the Union. Did you see that our GDP dropped 0.1% this quarter? That doesn't seem like a lot, but it is roughly 16.5 billion dollars.

Our GDP grew every three quarters before that. Read the CBO report on that. It's attributable to fiscal-tightening.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:33:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:31:12 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:30:20 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.


But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.

What kind of jobs though, thats the problem.

What kind of jobs will the sequestration kill? The kinds we don't want to lose. Defense and at-home.

I meant the supposed 100k every month. You need to specify the kind of jobs we're getting.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MichaelGonzales
Posts: 211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:40:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:33:35 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:31:12 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:30:20 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:29:05 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
The sequestration might kick-off another recession from sheer job-loss alone.


But we're in the clear for the most part. Roughly 100,000 jobs get added every month, unemployment drops on a regular basis (though CBO predicts that, since deficit reduction is our priority for 2013, there won't be any substantial change in unemployment numbers). Corporate profits are at all time highs, while taxes are at historical lows.

What kind of jobs though, thats the problem.

What kind of jobs will the sequestration kill? The kinds we don't want to lose. Defense and at-home.

I meant the supposed 100k every month. You need to specify the kind of jobs we're getting.

Mostly private sector. Government has shrunk since the recession hit.

http://www.bls.gov...