Jump to topic:

Private School Vouchers

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:25:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think that students receiving a 3.0 or higher in their public school should get a partial voucher to go to private schools. I think this will hold public schools responsible for trying to educate advanced students, or they will simply take their tax dollars to a private school via a gov't voucher. I think public schools should be forced to further compete with private schools, since right now public schools are hardly held to any standard of education. Students are receiving lower test scores than ever, and teachers are not motivated by tenure to work harder, since liberals (sorry for the bias) always stand behind teacher unions, even when they are blatantly wrong. I think we should either get rid of tenure via gov't regulation, or give vouchers for advanced students to private schools.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:31:23 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:25:45 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I think that students receiving a 3.0 or higher in their public school should get a partial voucher to go to private schools. I think this will hold public schools responsible for trying to educate advanced students, or they will simply take their tax dollars to a private school via a gov't voucher. I think public schools should be forced to further compete with private schools, since right now public schools are hardly held to any standard of education. Students are receiving lower test scores than ever, and teachers are not motivated by tenure to work harder, since liberals (sorry for the bias) always stand behind teacher unions, even when they are blatantly wrong. I think we should either get rid of tenure via gov't regulation, or give vouchers for advanced students to private schools.

A 3.0 is a crap GPA, try 3.8 or 3.9! That's an actual accomplishment. Just my graduating class in high school had 16 4.0's ( out of 500).
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:34:46 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:31:23 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

A 3.0 is a crap GPA, try 3.8 or 3.9! That's an actual accomplishment. Just my graduating class in high school had 16 4.0's ( out of 500).

A 3.0 starts to point towards the advanced level, remember that what seems like crap to you might be a major accomplishment to someone else. 3.0 doesn't have to be the exact cutoff, but somewhere around there is reasonable. It isn't costing the gov't any extra money, the people are just getting their property/school taxes back for a private school instead of public.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:37:59 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:34:46 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

A 3.0 starts to point towards the advanced level, remember that what seems like crap to you might be a major accomplishment to someone else. 3.0 doesn't have to be the exact cutoff, but somewhere around there is reasonable. It isn't costing the gov't any extra money, the people are just getting their property/school taxes back for a private school instead of public.

The best and brightest 3.8+ should get full rides before others get anything.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:40:05 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:37:59 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

No one would be getting extra money, if you met the standard, you would be getting your school/property tax money back to pay for private schooling,
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:41:57 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:40:05 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

No one would be getting extra money, if you met the standard, you would be getting your school/property tax money back to pay for private schooling,
The return on investment would be greater on the bright kids though.

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:43:21 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:41:57 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

Agreed, but if the standards for said vouchers are too high, then the vouchers will effect hardly anyone and will be symbolism at best.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:44:04 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:43:21 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Agreed, but if the standards for said vouchers are too high, then the vouchers will effect hardly anyone and will be symbolism at best.

16 4.0s in via graduating class is a lot of kids that qualify

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:54:26 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:44:04 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

An argument from personal expereince is a fallacy and thereby not admissible in an argument, :P

http://rationalwiki.org...
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:12:37 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:54:26 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

An argument from personal expereince is a fallacy and thereby not admissible in an argument, :P

http://www.usnews.com...

School vouchers for below average GPA? I don't think that would work

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:14:38 AM
At 2/15/2013 11:12:37 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

Did you read that grade inflation was a high possibility in the increase?
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:18:07 AM
At 2/15/2013 11:14:38 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

All the more reason for a 3.8+

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:22:57 AM
At 2/15/2013 11:18:07 AM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 2/15/2013 11:14:38 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

All the more reason for a 3.8+

I think we can adjust and instate the requirements as it happens, the standard should not be relevant, the general idea should, and since you seem to agree with it, we may stop arguing now. :P
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:32:32 AM
I support private school vouchers 100%.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:38:37 AM
At 2/15/2013 11:32:32 AM, lannan13 wrote:

On the basis of academic merit only. No athletics or affirmative action bullish*t.

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:46:00 AM
At 2/15/2013 11:38:37 AM, tmar19652 wrote:

On the basis of academic merit only. No athletics or affirmative action bullish*t.

I agree tmar, the burden will be in the details, if it is accomplished.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:46:41 AM
At 2/15/2013 11:46:00 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

We can hope.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 12:17:08 PM

HAHAHAHA. That's a good one!
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 12:22:30 PM
At 2/15/2013 12:17:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:

HAHAHAHA. That's a good one!
Why?

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 1:25:58 PM

A few problems with this:

1. You assume that the private education model is significantly different than the public model which drives better performance. At this point other than maybe class size (which would increase under voucher system) we have not isolated casual effects to performance of public versus private. Not to mention some of the best high schools in the nation are public. Why are those high performing public schools better performers than most private schools?

2. You assume there are not other factors in the public system which could be changed to address true casual relationships to poor performance at a better economic cost.

3. You omit any unintended consequences such as the cost of private education rising drastically due to increased demand outstripping supply. It would still be unattainable to those in the lower economic classes lest you allow voucher amounts to increase. If you did that costs would increase for vouchers, but at a greater rate than the rate of savings for having less kids in public school, which ultimately nets out to an increase in education costs.

There are much better ways to fix schools as I don't see the voucher system doing much of anything other than raising costs.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 1:46:53 PM
At 2/15/2013 1:25:58 PM, slo1 wrote:

A few problems with this:

1. You assume that the private education model is significantly different than the public model which drives better performance. At this point other than maybe class size (which would increase under voucher system) we have not isolated casual effects to performance of public versus private. Not to mention some of the best high schools in the nation are public. Why are those high performing public schools better performers than most private schools?

You are making the assumption that I think this, since I did not directly say it. I mainly want private school vouchers to encourage the public schools to compete and therefore set higher standards for their education, primarily to advanced students.

2. You assume there are not other factors in the public system which could be changed to address true casual relationships to poor performance at a better economic cost.

You do not give me any other solutions, therefore I have logical reason to assume this is the only one.

3. You omit any unintended consequences such as the cost of private education rising drastically due to increased demand outstripping supply. It would still be unattainable to those in the lower economic classes lest you allow voucher amounts to increase. If you did that costs would increase for vouchers, but at a greater rate than the rate of savings for having less kids in public school, which ultimately nets out to an increase in education costs.

I would assume that if the demand increased for private education (Per the vouchers), so would the supply. More churches would open up catholic religious schools, and there would be more online academies to address mentally advanced, but physically deficient children.

There are much better ways to fix schools as I don't see the voucher system doing much of anything other than raising costs.

Once again, I assume there are no better ways since you do not cite the alternatives. My main problem is that to fix a problem, you must first accept there is one, you seem not to accept that, along with a decent part of the public.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 9:57:22 PM

Academic duh
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 8:48:49 PM
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 9:02:32 PM
At 2/16/2013 9:01:56 PM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
A 3.0 is a crap GPA

T.T

I didn't write that, Tmar did
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 9:05:46 PM
At 2/16/2013 9:02:32 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/16/2013 9:01:56 PM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
A 3.0 is a crap GPA

T.T

I didn't write that, Tmar did

I'm still trying to master the art of quoting around here. Sorry. ^^;;
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 9:19:46 PM

School vouchers are merely a ploy of rightist free-marketeers to gradually take us in the direction of doing away with public education and virtually everything else that tax dollars fund. Yes, heaven forbid that people not be allowed to exist like total egoistic individualists and that they be taxed to support public services and institutions.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 9:24:22 PM
At 2/16/2013 9:19:46 PM, charleslb wrote:

School vouchers are merely a ploy of rightist free-marketeers to gradually take us in the direction of doing away with public education and virtually everything else that tax dollars fund.

What a great idea! Thanks for affirming that.

Yes, heaven forbid that people not be allowed to exist like total egoistic individualists and that they be taxed to support public services and institutions.

Why should people be taxed for something they don't use? And why should people have to pay for schools that are worse than non-public schools. It's no secret that private and home schooling is better than public schooling for a variety of reasons. I see no compelling reason why public schools should still exist.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 9:26:18 PM
At 2/16/2013 9:19:46 PM, charleslb wrote:

School vouchers are merely a ploy of rightist free-marketeers to gradually take us in the direction of doing away with public education and virtually everything else that tax dollars fund. Yes, heaven forbid that people not be allowed to exist like total egoistic individualists and that they be taxed to support public services and institutions.

So, you completely straw man this by not replying to my original argument, really at all.

I would like to re state that as long as the public education system increased, or maintained it's standards it would be able to fairly compete with private schools. All this voucher system would really do is encourage, and possibly force public schools to increase their standards and compete. You are basically making an argument that any time a business receives competition from a new business, or a neighboring business, the new business shouldn't be able to exist because there is a chance that if the old one doesn't increase it's standards (or maintain them), it would go out of business. You also make the poor argument that if only private school vouchers existed, we would get rid of the school tax, this is simply not true, as of right now, states that give people private school vouchers still force the people getting the vouchers to pay school and property taxes, they simply get their money back via the voucher instead of indirectly through gov't services. You use a lot of rhetoric with little substance in your arguments.