Jump to topic:

Call Me Petty, but..

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:38:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Shouldn't the politically correct term for a white person be European-American, since 'blacks' are now called African-American, by politically correct standards?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:42:15 AM
See, the problem here is your assuming that being politically "correct" has anything to do with being fair, logical, honest, or making vague sense.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:44:22 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:42:15 AM, OberHerr wrote:
See, the problem here is your assuming that being politically "correct" has anything to do with being fair, logical, honest, or making vague sense.

I despise political correctness as much as the next guy. I was just saying, if you have to play the politically correct game, it might as well be a fair one.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:45:01 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:42:14 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
White is politically incorrect. That's why the term "Caucasian" is used. :P

Funnily enough, the term comes from some tribe in Afghanistan, or somewhere around there....maybe in Russia.

Which, me being descended from the stereotypical Vikings of Europe....I will say I am OFFENDED!

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:45:38 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:44:22 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

I despise political correctness as much as the next guy. I was just saying, if you have to play the politically correct game, it might as well be a fair one.

Well that's the problem with poltical correctness. It has nothing to do with sense, or the making of it.

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:48:46 AM

Caucasian is technically not always European

http://en.wikipedia.org...
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:49:41 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:45:38 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Well that's the problem with poltical correctness. It has nothing to do with sense, or the making of it.

Agreed
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:50:50 AM
I think we should be literal about color. Blacks should be called "Browns of varying shades" and whites should be called "translucent pink".
Asians should balled "Jaundiced".
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:33:26 AM
I due believe the proper term is caucasian
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 1:00:18 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:38:32 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
Shouldn't the politically correct term for a white person be European-American, since 'blacks' are now called African-American, by politically correct standards?

"Politically correct" is simply a way of saying don't insult anyone. Whites have always considered themselves to be superior in this country so calling them white doesn't conjure any negative emotions, in other words it won't insult them.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 1:00:55 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:48:46 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Blacks are not always African.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 1:47:58 AM
At 2/15/2013 10:50:50 AM, Heineken wrote:
I think we should be literal about color. Blacks should be called "Browns of varying shades" and whites should be called "translucent pink".
I propose that everyone carries around a ring of Home Depot paint chips and sizes up each person they meet in order to decide whether they are more Sun-kissed Mustard or Melancholy Mahogany.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 2:05:16 AM
At 2/17/2013 1:47:58 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I propose that everyone carries around a ring of Home Depot paint chips and sizes up each person they meet in order to decide whether they are more Sun-kissed Mustard or Melancholy Mahogany.

So..much...win...
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 2:36:03 AM

Petty butt.

(African American? What is this? 1992? Call 'em black.)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 2:37:05 AM

It has to do with being polite. Is that really so difficult or without sense?

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 2:38:32 AM

I go with the Crayola 64 box...Brick...Burnt Sienna...Light Urple...close enough.

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 7:12:38 AM

I don't think African-American is the politically correct term anymore, my son (who is Black), tells me that is "playing old tapes", a lot like "negroe" was more politically correct than the "N" word at one time, now it just makes you sound old and out of date, apparently "Black" is the more politically correct term for today.

And as several have expressed, I hate political correctness too, I think talking about "political correctness" is no longer "politically correct", the whole idea of being politically correct is out of vogue, so to speak. I think political correctness was about usng the right labels, and maybe that labelling people is what is no longer politically correct.

Maybe the labels were the problem all along, we are all individuals, so we should judge people based on individual character rather than grouping them into categories with labels, perhapd it was the labels themselves that were the problem with political correctness.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 7:16:17 AM
At 2/17/2013 2:36:03 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Petty butt.

(African American? What is this? 1992? Call 'em black.)

The way my son said it was "You are so twenty years ago" LOL.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 7:23:52 AM
At 2/17/2013 2:38:32 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

I go with the Crayola 64 box...Brick...Burnt Sienna...Light Urple...close enough.

Interestingly, Crayola did have a color called "flesh", after the civil rights movement and in response to how politically incorrect a single "flesh" color was considered at the time, the name of that color was changed to "peach". So perhaps white people should be called "peaches" now.

That would probably go over well here in Georgia lol.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:17:43 AM
At 2/17/2013 1:00:18 AM, Double_R wrote:

"Politically correct" is simply a way of saying don't insult anyone. Whites have always considered themselves to be superior in this country so calling them white doesn't conjure any negative emotions, in other words it won't insult them.

That is a ridiculous and idiotic assumption, that just because more than 50 years ago my grandfather was 'superior' to a black man, this means I should now be discriminated against. You deserve a swift kick to the face, good sir.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:18:38 AM
At 2/17/2013 1:00:55 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:48:46 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Blacks are not always African.

They are. People of Arabic descent usually have an extremely lighter tone.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:20:31 AM
At 2/17/2013 2:37:05 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Like how the politically correct term for a retarded person has changed like 4 times in the past 10 years

Retarded to Mentally Challenged to autistic to MRDD, It is really just a thinly veiled attempt to stop us from saying what is truly on our mind.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:26:05 AM
At 2/17/2013 8:20:31 AM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Like how the politically correct term for a retarded person has changed like 4 times in the past 10 years

Retarded to Mentally Challenged to autistic to MRDD, It is really just a thinly veiled attempt to stop us from saying what is truly on our mind.

Autism is a type of mental deficiency, not a blanket term for the mentally challenged.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:29:56 AM
Mockery of political correctness is the equivalent of calling someone "stupid" and claiming that he has no reason to be offended because it's a factual observation. You're not the one who decides what is and is not offensive in civil discourse. The person whom you're seeking to address makes that determination.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
emj32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:39:27 AM

Well that certainly doesn't roll off the tongue smoothly
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:40:25 AM
At 2/17/2013 8:29:56 AM, 000ike wrote:
Mockery of political correctness is the equivalent of calling someone "stupid" and claiming that he has no reason to be offended because it's a factual observation. You're not the one who decides what is and is not offensive in civil discourse. The person whom you're seeking to address makes that determination.

The point isn't that it isn't offensive, it's that we shouldn't have to kowtow to political correctness. If someone is offended by something someone said, then they should ignore that person. Not institute speech crime. Or rally up causes against the thing that person said. People are to sensitive. They need to realise that words only do the damage that you allow them to.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:42:26 AM

Autistic doesn't fit in this series of course.

Generally speaking, most of the disabled community aren't all that concerned with political correctness, the term retarded is cetainly considered offensive but in general, the concern is word order more than anything else. They are not disabled people, they are people with disabilities, people first, disabled second.

That's probably a good rule of thumb across the board, we are first and foremost people, so it's people first, a category designation second.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:44:16 AM
At 2/17/2013 8:42:26 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

Autistic doesn't fit in this series of course.

Generally speaking, most of the disabled community aren't all that concerned with political correctness, the term retarded is cetainly considered offensive but in general, the concern is word order more than anything else. They are not disabled people, they are people with disabilities, people first, disabled second.

That's probably a good rule of thumb across the board, we are first and foremost people, so it's people first, a category designation second.

For lack of a like button.

Liked

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 8:52:46 AM
At 2/17/2013 8:40:25 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 2/17/2013 8:29:56 AM, 000ike wrote:

The point isn't that it isn't offensive, it's that we shouldn't have to kowtow to political correctness.

I don't think anybody is saying we have to kowtow to political correctness, the point is if something we say is offensive to someone, it is probably better to use a different word.

If someone is offended by something someone said, then they should ignore that person. Not institute speech crime.

Nobody is instituting speech crime, just trying not to offend people, there's nothing wrong with that.

Or rally up causes against the thing that person said. People are to sensitive. They need to realise that words only do the damage that you allow them to.

Seems like you are offended by the fact that there are certain words that the people who are labelled by those words find offensive, you appear offended that people are offended.. I'd have to say you are too senstive