Jump to topic:

An history buffs in here?

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 5:11:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am a history buff in the sense that I have read a fair amount of it and don't support people or ideas that people want to try again that history showed to be a great negative and a failure in the past when tried countless times before.

I can't see much point in debating history though. There is no argument to win other than if it was rewritten to fit an agenda for the future.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 9:16:37 PM
At 2/15/2013 5:11:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am a history buff in the sense that I have read a fair amount of it and don't support people or ideas that people want to try again that history showed to be a great negative and a failure in the past when tried countless times before.

I can't see much point in debating history though. There is no argument to win other than if it was rewritten to fit an agenda for the future.

You can debate things such as the world's most significant battles (their impact on history), whether the soviets were a threat or not, etc.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:03:51 PM
I am, I always wanted to do a history debate, but no one wants to debate my topic.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:08:13 PM
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:09:54 PM
At 2/15/2013 10:08:13 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two of the most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.

Amended.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:16:57 PM
At 2/15/2013 10:09:54 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two of the most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.

Amended.

Innomen knows modern history, but when I challenge him to any debate that is in the middle ages, or earlier, he claims to not be knowledgeable in it.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 2:28:33 PM
At 2/15/2013 10:16:57 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Amended.

Innomen knows modern history, but when I challenge him to any debate that is in the middle ages, or earlier, he claims to not be knowledgeable in it.

Oh well. You two may have different specialties that unfortunately don't overlap.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 2:44:02 PM
At 2/15/2013 10:16:57 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

Amended.

I'm flattered but I'm no buff. I know a thing or two, and that's about it...
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 3:02:14 PM
At 2/15/2013 9:16:37 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

You can debate things such as the world's most significant battles (their impact on history), whether the soviets were a threat or not, etc.

"the soviets were a threat or not, etc." Hmm I will refer you to the millions of people who perished in Soviet gulags in Siberia. (Source) don't need one, settled historical fact.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 3:45:30 PM
At 2/16/2013 3:02:14 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/15/2013 9:16:37 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

"the soviets were a threat or not, etc." Hmm I will refer you to the millions of people who perished in Soviet gulags in Siberia. (Source) don't need one, settled historical fact.

Even uncivilized buffoons can systematically slaughter large portions of their population. The Rwandan genocide was committed with basic rifles and machetes, and it killed anywhere from 500,000-1,000,000 people. What dictates if a nation is a real threat is if they pose a threat to outside nations or the world.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 4:46:59 PM
I know a few things, mostly concerning ancient Roman, Persian, and southeast Asian history. But it's more of a hobby than anything.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 8:56:11 PM
I love history, especially military history (look at my username) and have done a few history debates. Just present a topic you would like to debate.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.