Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

An history buffs in here?

sadolite
Posts: 9,574
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 5:11:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am a history buff in the sense that I have read a fair amount of it and don't support people or ideas that people want to try again that history showed to be a great negative and a failure in the past when tried countless times before.

I can't see much point in debating history though. There is no argument to win other than if it was rewritten to fit an agenda for the future.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 9:16:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2013 5:11:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am a history buff in the sense that I have read a fair amount of it and don't support people or ideas that people want to try again that history showed to be a great negative and a failure in the past when tried countless times before.

I can't see much point in debating history though. There is no argument to win other than if it was rewritten to fit an agenda for the future.

You can debate things such as the world's most significant battles (their impact on history), whether the soviets were a threat or not, etc.
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:03:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am, I always wanted to do a history debate, but no one wants to debate my topic.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:08:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:09:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:08:13 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two of the most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.

Amended.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 10:16:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:09:54 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:08:13 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two of the most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.

Amended.

Innomen knows modern history, but when I challenge him to any debate that is in the middle ages, or earlier, he claims to not be knowledgeable in it.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 2:28:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:16:57 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:09:54 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:08:13 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two of the most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.

Amended.

Innomen knows modern history, but when I challenge him to any debate that is in the middle ages, or earlier, he claims to not be knowledgeable in it.

Oh well. You two may have different specialties that unfortunately don't overlap.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
YYW
Posts: 43,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 2:44:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2013 10:16:57 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:09:54 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 2/15/2013 10:08:13 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Innomen and YYW would be considered, in a sense, "history buffs." I would nominate the two as the two of the most prominent of the (active) members who still pursue history as an intellectual subject.

Amended.

Innomen knows modern history, but when I challenge him to any debate that is in the middle ages, or earlier, he claims to not be knowledgeable in it.

I'm flattered but I'm no buff. I know a thing or two, and that's about it...
sadolite
Posts: 9,574
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 3:02:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/15/2013 9:16:37 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 5:11:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am a history buff in the sense that I have read a fair amount of it and don't support people or ideas that people want to try again that history showed to be a great negative and a failure in the past when tried countless times before.

I can't see much point in debating history though. There is no argument to win other than if it was rewritten to fit an agenda for the future.

You can debate things such as the world's most significant battles (their impact on history), whether the soviets were a threat or not, etc.

"the soviets were a threat or not, etc." Hmm I will refer you to the millions of people who perished in Soviet gulags in Siberia. (Source) don't need one, settled historical fact.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 3:45:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/16/2013 3:02:14 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/15/2013 9:16:37 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/15/2013 5:11:55 PM, sadolite wrote:
I am a history buff in the sense that I have read a fair amount of it and don't support people or ideas that people want to try again that history showed to be a great negative and a failure in the past when tried countless times before.

I can't see much point in debating history though. There is no argument to win other than if it was rewritten to fit an agenda for the future.

You can debate things such as the world's most significant battles (their impact on history), whether the soviets were a threat or not, etc.


"the soviets were a threat or not, etc." Hmm I will refer you to the millions of people who perished in Soviet gulags in Siberia. (Source) don't need one, settled historical fact.

Even uncivilized buffoons can systematically slaughter large portions of their population. The Rwandan genocide was committed with basic rifles and machetes, and it killed anywhere from 500,000-1,000,000 people. What dictates if a nation is a real threat is if they pose a threat to outside nations or the world.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 4:46:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I know a few things, mostly concerning ancient Roman, Persian, and southeast Asian history. But it's more of a hobby than anything.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? "
- W. B. Yeats -

Virtutem videant intabescantque relicta
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 8:30:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love history. I've done a few historical debates in my time here. I'd be down for some more.
No one normal accomplished anything meaningful in this world.
Subutai
Posts: 4,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 8:56:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love history, especially military history (look at my username) and have done a few history debates. Just present a topic you would like to debate.
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"