Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Big Oil....... Evil!!!!!!

DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.

So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 12:54:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Don't forget the .50 a gallon tax on gas. When people complain about high gas prices they don't usually think about that.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 1:26:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 12:54:34 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Don't forget the .50 a gallon tax on gas. When people complain about high gas prices they don't usually think about that.

And that's not even including state and local taxes at the pump. Hell gas is twenty cents cheaper where I live now than it was in my hometown due to local taxes on gasoline.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
ConservativeAmerican
Posts: 1,676
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 3:52:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?


Because people are ignorant.

End of story.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 4:40:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The major reason that Big Oil (the seven major companies in Oil) have low profit margins is due to their historically poor bureaucracy in the last decade, pretences of being above the law and the simple fact that the majority of Big Oil expenditures is the blind search for oil, involving destroying landscapes for a minute chance of finding the elephant.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 7:34:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 4:40:39 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/19/2013 3:52:41 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?


Because people are ignorant.

End of story.
The major reason that Big Oil (the seven major companies in Oil) have low profit margins is due to their historically poor bureaucracy in the last decade, pretences of being above the law and the simple fact that the majority of Big Oil expenditures is the blind search for oil, involving destroying landscapes for a minute chance of finding the elephant.

Way to prove ConservativeAmerican's point.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 11:08:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?


Perhaps due to a variety of reasons:
1. Environmental concerns.
2. Culture (Ant-Big Oil Company has a long history).
3. Net Revenue in terms of numbers (not percentage, but actual numbers, in billions).
4. Public image (not so good).

So, I guess that is why people consistently single out the oil industry.
DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 11:10:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.


In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?


And it is also important to look at the inflation adjusted gas prices
http://inflationdata.com...
When we look at the gas prices inflation adjusted, we see that prices aren't too far from historical highs.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 8:51:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/20/2013 1:17:36 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Because big oil can't compete with big government when the blame propaganda goes around for increasing gas prices.

The End.

But none of the pharmaceutical company can compete with big government when the blame goes around for increasing drug prices. None of health care providers can compete with government when the blame goes around for increasing national health care expense. Neither of the above mentioned industries are singled out.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 8:58:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/20/2013 8:51:26 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 2/20/2013 1:17:36 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Because big oil can't compete with big government when the blame propaganda goes around for increasing gas prices.

The End.

But none of the pharmaceutical company can compete with big government when the blame goes around for increasing drug prices. None of health care providers can compete with government when the blame goes around for increasing national health care expense. Neither of the above mentioned industries are singled out.

Yes they are. Everyone of them has been singled out at one point in time by politicians.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 6:36:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/20/2013 8:58:04 PM, DanT wrote:
At 2/20/2013 8:51:26 PM, TheElderScroll wrote:
At 2/20/2013 1:17:36 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Because big oil can't compete with big government when the blame propaganda goes around for increasing gas prices.

The End.

But none of the pharmaceutical company can compete with big government when the blame goes around for increasing drug prices. None of health care providers can compete with government when the blame goes around for increasing national health care expense. Neither of the above mentioned industries are singled out.

Yes they are. Everyone of them has been singled out at one point in time by politicians.

Yet, neither of them has to endure the hardship that the Big-Oil suffers at the hand of mainstream media. Issues such as Keystone XL Pipeline aren"t receiving impartial coverage.
YYW
Posts: 36,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:21:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?


The conclusion that "the oil industry is being singled out" does not follow from "oil companies are being targeted." Moreover, even if they were being singled out, it equally does not follow that their being singled out is undeserved. Logic is cool like that.

But enough of this hogwash. What I don't understand is why people sympathize with oil companies, or with big corporations in general...
Tsar of DDO
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 8:09:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.

Oh, so this $10 billion for Q4 2012 would be Exxon's profit, right?

Fuel refining helped propel fourth-quarter net income to a five-year high of almost $9.95 billion for Exxon and a record $7.25 billion for Chevron.
http://www.bloomberg.com...


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

No, because the dollar is 100 cents, a profit margin of 8.26% means that they get $.0826 for every dollar THEY TAKE IN, regardless of how much that includes of the dollar I spend.

AND, their profit margin in 2011 was 9.07%, and it's higher for 2012, but the full numbers aren't in yet.

http://money.cnn.com...

(I did the calculation myself if you're wondering why you don't see it in the link...both numbers needed are right there at the top)

Now, let's compare this with P&C Insurance - 3.3%
or, IT Services - 4.5%
Perhaps Aerospace and Defense (defense - military industrial complex...they're pretty evil, right?) - 7.6%

A 9% profit margin is f*ckng gigantic. Most business owners would kill for a margin half that size. That is what your bogus propaganda fails to mention.

http://money.cnn.com...


In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

That must be why they each needed those $4 billion oil industry specific tax breaks

http://thinkprogress.org...

Or why they spend over $100 million each, per year (88/12 GOP/DNP split) in lobbying and political contributions, though who can blame 'em. That has now bought them 1 anti-environment vote EVERY DAY congress is in session, on average.

http://thinkprogress.org...


So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?

Well, the massive amount of oil still in the gulf of mexico which has choked off the economy in New Orleans is my vote but perhaps others have their own reasons.

Your reason is that you're a shill, but I'd love to hear any others out there.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 8:31:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This might be the other reason people are so against the oil industry - despite their profit rank by industry, the industry has very few companies in it, and 2 of those companies are among the 3 most profitable of all the companies in the whole wide world (another thing you conveniently forgot to mention).

Rank ......Company .....500 Rank..........2010 $(millions)
1 ...........Exxon Mobil........2 ................30,460.0
2 ............AT&T ............12 .................19,864.0
3 ...........Chevron ...........3 ..................19,024.0

http://money.cnn.com...
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 8:35:32 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/20/2013 1:17:36 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Because big oil can't compete with big government when the blame propaganda goes around for increasing gas prices.

The End.

You say that as if there's a difference between the two

http://priceofoil.org...

or as if government subsidies don't save consumers upward of $12/gallon

http://www.progress.org...
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
TheElderScroll
Posts: 643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 10:08:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The conclusion that "the oil industry is being singled out" does not follow from "oil companies are being targeted." Moreover, even if they were being singled out, it equally does not follow that their being singled out is undeserved. Logic is cool like that.

But enough of this hogwash. What I don't understand is why people sympathize with oil companies, or with big corporations in general...
Wealth is power, a formidable force hard to qualify in a material term. Such force may explain why some sympathize with oil companies.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 12:14:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?


Walmart's profit margin is well below 4%. GM, barely 3%. A high flyer like Chipotle makes barely 10%. Obviously high tech firms make much higher margins, but the risks involved in innovation are much higher for a firm like Apple or Microsoft.

8% profit margin is excellent. Add that to record profits at the expense of the American people, and people get upset. Back in 2007-2008, high oil prices were attributed to being synonymous with a $500 bln tax on the American people, and if memory serves, it was T. Boone Pickens who made this claim.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 12:22:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/24/2013 12:14:41 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 2/19/2013 12:45:31 PM, DanT wrote:
For every $1.00 paid at the pump Oil companies receive $0.68 in revenue; however revenue is not the same as profit. Profit is the net revenue, or the revenue remaining after expenses. The Profit Margin is the Profit per Revenue.


So out of the $0.68 per dollar, how much does oil companies actually make. Well Exxon made an average Profit Margin of 8.26% for the past 20 quarters, which is roughly $0.06 for every $1.00 paid at the pump. Basically 91.74% of Exxon's revenue goes towards expenses.
http://www.nationalreview.com...

In 2011 the Oil Industry's Profit Margin was Ranked #114 out of 215 total industries. Obviously there are much more profitable companies out there.
http://mjperry.blogspot.com...

So the question remains; why do people single out the oil industry?


Walmart's profit margin is well below 4%. GM, barely 3%. A high flyer like Chipotle makes barely 10%. Obviously high tech firms make much higher margins, but the risks involved in innovation are much higher for a firm like Apple or Microsoft.

8% profit margin is excellent. Add that to record profits at the expense of the American people, and people get upset. Back in 2007-2008, high oil prices were attributed to being synonymous with a $500 bln tax on the American people, and if memory serves, it was T. Boone Pickens who made this claim.

I totally shake my fist in anger at the 32 cents a gallon profit.