Jump to topic:

Does anyone else agree?

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:48:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've been thinking. A lot of people say they are apathetic to issues and act like they are cool and above those that do. They put down people for having heated arguments like we are children fighting over a crayon. I think this is a mentality that needs to be discouraged. Apathy is not a good policy. Apathy lets people come to power without the informed consent of the people. Apathy allows for corrupt individuals to get away with bad things. I respect those that oppose my views wholeheartedly much more than I respect the people that don't care about the issues at all. The first step to making the world better is actually caring about other people.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:51:24 AM
I agree.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 1:35:10 AM
Good point.
I agree, but there are some topics where apathy is okay or even good (ex. trivialities).
But your probably not referring to those types of things. So I'd agree for the most part.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 5:12:25 AM
I agree, people that don't think what I think is important are stupid, regardless of their opinion on the subject.

The problem is: how do you convince them that something is important when they don't care enough to give it thought?
My work here is, finally, done.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 8:26:33 AM
inb4 someone doesn't care about the risk of apathy leading to an oppressive dictator.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:08:03 PM
I'm apathetic to this topic.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:10:18 PM
Depends what apathy is.
If it just not caring, yes.
If it's not having an opinion, I think it's pretty healthy.

I'm ideologically apathetic but I still participate in politics.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 4:19:35 PM
At 2/22/2013 4:10:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Depends what apathy is.

That's the spirit.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 5:13:08 PM
I care about the issues, but in my opinion it is pointless to debate them. Govt is a giant monster that can no longer be controlled. It is your world if govt is the answer to your problems. Leave me out of it. I'll go die quietly with some self respect and dignity somewhere when the time comes. In the mean time I'll do everything I can to undermine your efforts to screw me if in fact govt is your savior and solution to everything. That cover just about all things worth debating other than colors or food and stuff like that.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:35:21 PM
At 2/22/2013 5:12:25 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I agree, people that don't think what I think is important are stupid, regardless of their opinion on the subject.

The problem is: how do you convince them that something is important when they don't care enough to give it thought?

Show them how it affects their lives personally.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:37:29 PM
At 2/22/2013 5:13:08 PM, sadolite wrote:
I care about the issues, but in my opinion it is pointless to debate them. Govt is a giant monster that can no longer be controlled. It is your world if govt is the answer to your problems. Leave me out of it. I'll go die quietly with some self respect and dignity somewhere when the time comes. In the mean time I'll do everything I can to undermine your efforts to screw me if in fact govt is your savior and solution to everything. That cover just about all things worth debating other than colors or food and stuff like that.

I shall slay thy monster!!!
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:37:53 PM
At 2/22/2013 4:10:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Depends what apathy is.

Oh yeah, I think it is good to be open to new opinions and to be fluctuating in views. God knows I do about certain topics.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:40:05 PM

Why do you think the government is so evil? It is corrupt but if we don't try to change it nothing will get better.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 6:45:23 PM
At 2/22/2013 6:40:05 PM, rogue wrote:

Why do you think the government is so evil? It is corrupt but if we don't try to change it nothing will get better.

The amount of effort any individual puts into reform will have little to no effect. You are just a single person. Your vote doesn't matter.

And people agree and disagree on what government should do. While both of us might say that "government is corrupt", we think its corrupt for different reasons.

Hence why government is inheriently evil. People want different things from the governent, and not everyone wants the same thing. And if government does a policy or gets us something that I don't want, then that's too bad, I'm screwed. If I don't pay taxes I go to jail.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 3:46:43 AM
At 2/22/2013 6:35:21 PM, rogue wrote:

More often than not, there is no direct effect on one's life, especially the types who are likely not to care (unskilled, lower middle-class).

How do tax hikes on the rich affect you? It may cause some strife in loss of job, but it may not.
Do oversea wars affect you personally?
If you are not gay, how does legalizing same sex marriage effect you? Perhaps you'll sleep better at night, but there is no true direct effect.

(These are big issues, there are lots of smaller ones, like proposed regulations that affect a very small amount of businesses/people, and are largely unnoticed to the public. Some examples of these are continuing education requirements for tax preparers or forcing dog groomers/boarders to obtain a license)

Generally, people deal in tangibility, not principle. So, if they can't see it, feel it, or notice any effect directly, they won't notice any secondary ones and surely won't care about a slippery slope or hypocritical stance.
My work here is, finally, done.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 7:38:29 AM
At 2/22/2013 6:45:23 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 2/22/2013 6:40:05 PM, rogue wrote:

The amount of effort any individual puts into reform will have little to no effect. You are just a single person. Your vote doesn't matter.

I used to think that until I actually made a difference on my own. If everyone thinks that then no one will try to make a difference.

And people agree and disagree on what government should do. While both of us might say that "government is corrupt", we think its corrupt for different reasons.

Thinking the government is corrupt because they disagree with you is dumb. There are many things that government officials do that opposing ideologies agree are corrupt.

Hence why government is inheriently evil. People want different things from the governent, and not everyone wants the same thing. And if government does a policy or gets us something that I don't want, then that's too bad, I'm screwed. If I don't pay taxes I go to jail.

That's not evil at all. All you're saying is that the government can't please everyone. That's not evil. Just cause you don't like something they do doesn't mean you are screwed. The government has to represent the whole country so it's not fair to call them evil.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 8:09:04 AM
At 2/23/2013 3:46:43 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/22/2013 6:35:21 PM, rogue wrote:

More often than not, there is no direct effect on one's life, especially the types who are likely not to care (unskilled, lower middle-class).

I don't think that's true at all, people just don't realize how it affects them personally.

How do tax hikes on the rich affect you? It may cause some strife in loss of job, but it may not.
Do oversea wars affect you personally?
If you are not gay, how does legalizing same sex marriage effect you? Perhaps you'll sleep better at night, but there is no true direct effect.

Actually many of these things affects most people personally, although many of these things SHOULD affect you. Most people have some sort of moral stock in gay marriage being legal or not. For liberals, they are hurt and angered by their gay friends not having rights. For conservatives, they feel that it is very important that their country not support something they deem to be an abomination. Most people know someone in the military overseas, not to mention I hope people care about the people suffering in other parts of the world. Tax hikes on this rich are important to most people because liberals want that money put back in the economy and conservatives are adamant about the rich keeping their money. Both ideologies care about this so much because they know this affects the economy greatly which affects everyone. Just because these things don't physically or directly affect someone, it is pretty clear that they should care if they care at all about others.

(These are big issues, there are lots of smaller ones, like proposed regulations that affect a very small amount of businesses/people, and are largely unnoticed to the public. Some examples of these are continuing education requirements for tax preparers or forcing dog groomers/boarders to obtain a license)

Generally, people deal in tangibility, not principle. So, if they can't see it, feel it, or notice any effect directly, they won't notice any secondary ones and surely won't care about a slippery slope or hypocritical stance.

Those people are stupid and oblivious then lol. I hope less of the country is like that than you think.