Multicultralism and Progressivism

BigRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 7:55:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are "progressive values"?

That is, what are the values that individuals who identify as progressives hold dear to their hearts?

I would say that women's rights, voting rights, income equality, freedom of speech, and perhaps some basic positive economic rights (that is a right to health care for example). I would also say that many progressives hold multiculturalism (or diversity) as a progressive value.

Now, I don't self identify as a progressive. But, I agree with most of these rights. I certainly believe in women's rights, voting rights, freedom of speech. Even with regards to economic rights and income equality I agree with proviso (I don't always agree with using the public sector as a means to achieve these ends).

My question to progressives then is: what do you think if some progressive values conflict with others?

What comes to mind in this instance is the way that multiculturalism has led to many progressives defending value systems that run entirely contrary to the progressive value system.

When progressives defend Islamic culture against "Islamaphobes", they are defending the most unequal, most misogynistic, and least democratic culture in the entire world (or at least one of them).

When progressives attack "zionists" for being too pro Israel (as some do), they are attacking people for supporting an Israeli culture that is extremely in line with progressive values from a Palestinian culture that is extremely opposed to progressive values.

Not all progressives are guilty of this but many are. I am interested in seeing how progressives deal with what seems to be a contradiction between "progressive values" and multiculturalism or cultural relativism.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 8:04:50 PM
At 2/22/2013 7:55:20 PM, BigRat wrote:

That is, what are the values that individuals who identify as progressives hold dear to their hearts?

I would say that women's rights, voting rights, income equality, freedom of speech, and perhaps some basic positive economic rights (that is a right to health care for example). I would also say that many progressives hold multiculturalism (or diversity) as a progressive value.

Now, I don't self identify as a progressive. But, I agree with most of these rights. I certainly believe in women's rights, voting rights, freedom of speech. Even with regards to economic rights and income equality I agree with proviso (I don't always agree with using the public sector as a means to achieve these ends).

My question to progressives then is: what do you think if some progressive values conflict with others?

What comes to mind in this instance is the way that multiculturalism has led to many progressives defending value systems that run entirely contrary to the progressive value system.

When progressives defend Islamic culture against "Islamaphobes", they are defending the most unequal, most misogynistic, and least democratic culture in the entire world (or at least one of them).

When progressives attack "zionists" for being too pro Israel (as some do), they are attacking people for supporting an Israeli culture that is extremely in line with progressive values from a Palestinian culture that is extremely opposed to progressive values.

Not all progressives are guilty of this but many are. I am interested in seeing how progressives deal with what seems to be a contradiction between "progressive values" and multiculturalism or cultural relativism.

Historically, they've been allied with Muslims for two reasons (at least two main reasons).

Conservatives (namely Neo-Conservatives) have been largely supportive of Israel and "empiring" (or nation building, or simply getting involved in a bunch of other countries rather than taking care of the at home issues). Since liberals and progressives are against this, they naturally turn to the other "team" (the enemy of my enemy thing).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BigRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 8:10:48 PM
At 2/22/2013 8:04:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 2/22/2013 7:55:20 PM, BigRat wrote:

Historically, they've been allied with Muslims for two reasons (at least two main reasons).

Conservatives (namely Neo-Conservatives) have been largely supportive of Israel and "empiring" (or nation building, or simply getting involved in a bunch of other countries rather than taking care of the at home issues). Since liberals and progressives are against this, they naturally turn to the other "team" (the enemy of my enemy thing).

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I've always thought that there was a time when the progressives were more interventionist than the conservatives.

I know progressives have always been more supportive of international institutions and multilateralism. But, so long as it is done with other countries, it seems progressives don't have much problem with intervention or "empire" building.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems that the left-right divide seems to be more about multilateralism versus unilateralism than non interventionism versus interventionism.