Jump to topic:

Obama on Elections

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 5:40:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I voted for Obama b/c he seemed more intelligent and put together than J.Mccain. Though I generally am closer to Mccain (the socially moderate republican) in policy issues, I voted for Obama b/c I believe a President, first and foremost, has to be smart enough to know what to do, and what not to do, and Obama seemed like he was so.

Though I have been disappointed in Obama's display of partisanship generally since he was elected (I'm not claiming it was one sided), the disappointment on this front has really set in when he began campaigning for, and trying to manage democrats political ambitions (ny govenor patterson).

The role of the Pres. is not that of national party head and strategist. It is to be head of the country, and to intelligently take in all opinions and consider what ought be done. Instead he has acted like no more than the national Dem. head.
Perhaps I have taken most offense, b/c I live in NY and actually think Patterson has done a decent job in a bad situation, and was planning on voting for him, and that I thought that he had no reason whatsoever to weigh in on the NY mayoral race; but also I guess I've taken notice b/c these actions fit with the rest of his presidency so far.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Registered_Trademark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:21:59 PM
Obama's display of partisanship?

30 Senate Republicans voted against an amendment made by Al Franken that would deny defense contracts to companies that ask employees to sign away the right to sue, after a woman was gang-raped on the job and was unable to sue her employer.

That is partisanship at its finest.
Clockwork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:28:19 PM
It's probably best to ignore any promises to nonpartisanship that are bounded around during campaign season. Considering the political structure of America today, it would be impossible for Obama (or McCain) to live up to the messianic expectations that the public seems to imagine that Obama is capable of fulfilling.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
Registered_Trademark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:53:00 PM
At 11/4/2009 7:28:19 PM, Clockwork wrote:
It's probably best to ignore any promises to nonpartisanship that are bounded around during campaign season. Considering the political structure of America today, it would be impossible for Obama (or McCain) to live up to the messianic expectations that the public seems to imagine that Obama is capable of fulfilling.

What your saying is probably true, but why would 30 Senate Republicans vote against an anti-gang rape bill proposed by a freshmen senator that has no attachment to Obama? We reach the conclusion of extreme partisanship.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:53:53 PM
I think you are slightly wrong in your view of the role of the president. I agree that he is the head of the government (and state). But he has the additional role as a leader of his party.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:56:32 PM
At 11/4/2009 7:53:00 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:
What your saying is probably true, but why would 30 Senate Republicans vote against an anti-gang rape bill proposed by a freshmen senator that has no attachment to Obama? We reach the conclusion of extreme partisanship.

Link?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2009 7:59:56 PM
At 11/4/2009 7:53:53 PM, JBlake wrote:
I think you are slightly wrong in your view of the role of the president. I agree that he is the head of the government (and state). But he has the additional role as a leader of his party.

I assumed that the party president's role was leading the party. :)

But, honestly, when it comes down to it, should the President give preference to his role in his party, or to his role as the head of state?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2009 7:24:56 AM
At 11/4/2009 5:40:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I voted for Obama b/c he seemed more intelligent and put together than J.Mccain. Though I generally am closer to Mccain (the socially moderate republican) in policy issues, I voted for Obama b/c I believe a President, first and foremost, has to be smart enough to know what to do, and what not to do, and Obama seemed like he was so.

Though I have been disappointed in Obama's display of partisanship generally since he was elected (I'm not claiming it was one sided), the disappointment on this front has really set in when he began campaigning for, and trying to manage democrats political ambitions (ny govenor patterson).

The role of the Pres. is not that of national party head and strategist. It is to be head of the country, and to intelligently take in all opinions and consider what ought be done. Instead he has acted like no more than the national Dem. head.
Perhaps I have taken most offense, b/c I live in NY and actually think Patterson has done a decent job in a bad situation, and was planning on voting for him, and that I thought that he had no reason whatsoever to weigh in on the NY mayoral race; but also I guess I've taken notice b/c these actions fit with the rest of his presidency so far.

Then you just made the wrong choice, simple as that.
Registered_Trademark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2009 10:08:08 AM
At 11/4/2009 7:56:32 PM, Nags wrote:
At 11/4/2009 7:53:00 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:

Link?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2009 11:39:47 AM

Why do you think he is intelligent?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2009 12:06:37 PM
At 11/6/2009 11:39:47 AM, comoncents wrote:

He is able to speak like a person who understands others positions. If someone understands my positions I feel like they will pay them some kind of respect. Though I knew that his record does not represent my positions, I brushed a lot of that away with the idea that he is a big time politician, who dances to the tune of his constituents.

I figured that if he got the W. house he would not be so beholden, and could act in an intelligent and thoughtful manner. Now I see that he isn't about to leave the game of Politics behind, and kind of regret my decision, though I was never too happy with it anyways.

As I said I would've voted Mccain but for not knowing Shia/Sunni and giving in to GOP on most issues that distinguished him, and in choosing a clown as his running mate (though I guess that's not fair as Biden is the clown with the longest nose ever recorded).
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2009 12:08:19 PM
All in all I became dissapointed with Mccain and figured I'd go double or nothin with Obama.

Metaphysics:
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2009 12:43:12 PM
At 11/6/2009 12:06:37 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

He is able to speak like a person who understands others positions. If someone understands my positions I feel like they will pay them some kind of respect. Though I knew that his record does not represent my positions, I brushed a lot of that away with the idea that he is a big time politician, who dances to the tune of his constituents.

I figured that if he got the W. house he would not be so beholden, and could act in an intelligent and thoughtful manner. Now I see that he isn't about to leave the game of Politics behind, and kind of regret my decision, though I was never too happy with it anyways.

As I said I would've voted Mccain but for not knowing Shia/Sunni and giving in to GOP on most issues that distinguished him, and in choosing a clown as his running mate (though I guess that's not fair as Biden is the clown with the longest nose ever recorded).

But it is all teleprompters and rehearsals... if bush did that he would speak like a person who understands others positions also... just saying.

He has not proven to me that he is extremely intelligent, just that he knows how to read.
If anything he has shown a lack of intelligence with the way he handles things, (taking this long on an afghan decision, not compromising on how he really feels about healthcare, informing everyone properly on health care, prepping why don't ask don't tell needs to be repelled, campaigning for other candidates that he has not completed a full back story on, hiring people like van Jones with out knowing a lot about him, tripling the debt with out explaining it, printing money with out explaining it, not explaining why he is allowing HIV patients to travel into the united states, the list goes on and on) and when he goes off the cuff he sounds like bush did, at times.
(Swatting the fly, calling Kanye a dumbarss...)
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2009 1:49:39 PM
At 11/6/2009 12:43:12 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 11/6/2009 12:06:37 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

But it is all teleprompters and rehearsals... if bush did that he would speak like a person who understands others positions also... just saying.

He has not proven to me that he is extremely intelligent, just that he knows how to read.
If anything he has shown a lack of intelligence with the way he handles things, (taking this long on an afghan decision, not compromising on how he really feels about healthcare, informing everyone properly on health care, prepping why don't ask don't tell needs to be repelled, campaigning for other candidates that he has not completed a full back story on, hiring people like van Jones with out knowing a lot about him, tripling the debt with out explaining it, printing money with out explaining it, not explaining why he is allowing HIV patients to travel into the united states, the list goes on and on) and when he goes off the cuff he sounds like bush did, at times.
(Swatting the fly, calling Kanye a dumbarss...)

His master speech writer was not ready yet...
http://www.nbcchicago.com...