Jump to topic:

Online petitions

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 3:32:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So your on the computer looking at face book or an email and you come across a email or post to sign some petition that interests your views. Do these petitions get sent anywhere in any meaningful or official way or are they just poll sources for some yahoo trying to make a pointless point.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 4:09:28 PM
Some do. There is one called whitehouse.org or something like that. If the petition reaches X number of signatures in Y number of days, then, no matter how stupid said petition is, it goes to, I believe, Congress. I'm not exactly sure who it's sent to, though.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 4:11:55 PM
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov...

Looks like it goes to some administration or something first. I don't remember exactly, but it's claimed that someone actually looks at them.

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 4:13:05 PM
At 2/24/2013 3:32:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
So your on the computer looking at face book or an email and you come across a email or post to sign some petition that interests your views. Do these petitions get sent anywhere in any meaningful or official way or are they just poll sources for some yahoo trying to make a pointless point.

I think it is change.gov that is the "official" pettition website.
When this site is used, any petition that reaches the threshhold amount (I think within one month's time) will receive an official response from the White House. I know sometime after the "Death Star" petition, the White House raised the threshold from 25K to 100K or so.

It probably doesn't amount to anything beyond that, but a response is still something.
My work here is, finally, done.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 4:18:23 PM
At 2/24/2013 4:13:05 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/24/2013 3:32:38 PM, sadolite wrote:

I think it is change.gov that is the "official" pettition website.
When this site is used, any petition that reaches the threshhold amount (I think within one month's time) will receive an official response from the White House. I know sometime after the "Death Star" petition, the White House raised the threshold from 25K to 100K or so.

It probably doesn't amount to anything beyond that, but a response is still something.

I think it's probably 100k. Whatever site it was that I saw tons of secession petitions on needed 100k in one month. I remember that Texas got well above the threshold in about half the time.