Jump to topic:

Justification for Large Military

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 7:28:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think a decent argument can be made that simply having a large military can actually be beneficial to peace. For example, most of the time, the united states can avoid war with nations simply by exerting their economic influence on nations. When this does not work, we should use our large standing army/military as a deterrent to war, it's existence is enough for most sensible nations to want to avoid war. I am starting to respect and agree with wrich's idea that hegemony is not bad when it is done correctly, and it can actually help the cause of peace, rather than be detrimental to it.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:12:28 PM
I think it works only if the costs are sustainable.

Given that military spending is well below the average since WWII, I think this is not a problem.

Cheers, thanks for the credit. :)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:29:25 PM
So our current military budget is sustainable?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:33:11 PM
If we only spent 4x what China does on the military you think nations will all of the sudden start picking fights with us? Our military hasn't done anything to avoid wars, mutual assured destruction keeps the major powers at bay and our military might hasn't forced North Korea or Iran to fall in line.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:34:30 PM
At 2/26/2013 10:33:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
If we only spent 4x what China does on the military you think nations will all of the sudden start picking fights with us? Our military hasn't done anything to avoid wars, mutual assured destruction keeps the major powers at bay and our military might hasn't forced North Korea or Iran to fall in line.

Mainly because their fanatical, or they know we won't use it most likely.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:35:28 PM
At 2/26/2013 10:34:30 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Would that change if we spent 400 billion a year on defense?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:38:25 PM
At 2/26/2013 10:29:25 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Military budget only makes up around 20% of the US budget, so yes it is. While we do have a deficit, other material can be cut instead.

Note this doesn't necessarily mean the military budget should or shouldn't be cut, just that it is sustainable.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 10:44:44 PM
At 2/26/2013 10:38:25 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Military budget only makes up around 20% of the US budget, so yes it is. While we do have a deficit, other material can be cut instead.

Note this doesn't necessarily mean the military budget should or shouldn't be cut, just that it is sustainable.

Every part of the budget is sustainable when taken on its own. You can justify spending on everything based on the fact that there's something else that can be cut. It doesn't change the fact that current military spending levels are completely unnecessary.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 11:03:41 PM
At 2/26/2013 10:44:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/26/2013 10:38:25 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Every part of the budget is sustainable when taken on its own. You can justify spending on everything based on the fact that there's something else that can be cut. It doesn't change the fact that current military spending levels are completely unnecessary.

I agree, I was arguing the statement of whether our military is sustainable or not, not whether it is necessary or not.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:26:49 AM
Collectivist propaganda in action: using the pronoun 'we', when describing the political class.

E.g. We ran a substantial deficit last year due to our military budget.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:08:51 AM
At 2/27/2013 12:26:49 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Collectivist propaganda in action: using the pronoun 'we', when describing the political class.

We the people...

If you don't love America, get the f*ck out. Just renounce your citizenship and apply for refuge status and then YOU can be all that you can be...as a Bolivian Individualist.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:10:07 AM
At 2/26/2013 7:28:51 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
I think a decent argument can be made that simply having a large military can actually be beneficial to peace. For example, most of the time, the united states can avoid war with nations simply by exerting their economic influence on nations. When this does not work, we should use our large standing army/military as a deterrent to war, it's existence is enough for most sensible nations to want to avoid war. I am starting to respect and agree with wrich's idea that hegemony is not bad when it is done correctly, and it can actually help the cause of peace, rather than be detrimental to it.

Yes, because if there's one thing our military has done, it is act as a force for global peace.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:14:06 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:08:51 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

We the people...

If you don't love America, get the f*ck out. Just renounce your citizenship and apply for refuge status and then YOU can be all that you can be...as a Bolivian Individualist.

That's not much of an argument, unless you want to defend the proposition that the only two options are "leave" or "shut up and fall in line".
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:24:32 AM

Our BUDGET is not sustainable. Our military budget has rarely if ever been a smaller part of GDP since WWII.

What this means is that entitlements are the main problem.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:25:33 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:14:06 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

We the people...

That's not much of an argument, unless you want to defend the proposition that the only two options are "leave" or "shut up and fall in line".

You are either part of this country or you are not. As far as criticizing her after that, the options are innumerable, but yeah - love it or leave it, and loving it does not mean don't criticize. It just means - be a part of the country or GTFO.

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:27:56 AM
At 2/26/2013 10:35:28 PM, lewis20 wrote:

We spend 600 billion. We spend well over 2 trillion on entitlements. If you want to save money, focus on what we are actually spending on.

Regarding the bolded, what about the rest of the Middle East, South Korea, Taiwan, SE Asia, and more recently the former USSR? And China is now part of the WTO.

Oh, but I guess NK and Iran are more important. :/
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:29:49 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:10:07 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Yes, because if there's one thing our military has done, it is act as a force for global peace.

Count the casualties globally since WWII. Then count the casualties during WWII. So, erase your sarcasm, and you actually get a true statement.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:38:22 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:25:33 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
We the people...

You are either part of this country or you are not.

What does "being part of a country" mean? Nationality is notorious for being both fictional and a convenient mechanism for the politicization of birth.

Props for your passionate identitarianism, though.

As far as criticizing her after that, the options are innumerable, but yeah - love it or leave it, and loving it does not mean don't criticize. It just means - be a part of the country or GTFO.

1. I like that, for whatever reason, you assign the United States a gender.

2. Does criticizing militarism count as not being "part of the country"? If so, I'm curious about the level of social and political conformity required to satisfy you.

3. I find it peculiar that you only offer the choice between assimilation or expulsion. I question whether you could tolerate without angst someone who wanted neither American citizenship nor repatriation--that is, someone who just wants to dwell indifferently. Refugees and stateless persons are a good example, and the fact of their frequent persecution (a result of their lack of a formal legal or political status) suggests that most people are similarly incapable of tolerating their existence.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:46:39 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:29:49 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Count the casualties globally since WWII. Then count the casualties during WWII. So, erase your sarcasm, and you actually get a true statement.

http://www.regjeringen.no...

http://www.bmj.com...

400K deaths due to war each year since WW2. 2013 - 1947 = 76

76 X 400,000 = 30.4 million

That doesn't count genocides since WW2

http://simple.wikipedia.org...

That puts us right around 35 million dead due to war since WW2.

Can I be sarcastic again?

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:49:32 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:38:22 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
We the people...

What does "being part of a country" mean? Nationality is notorious for being both fictional and a convenient mechanism for the politicization of birth.

As far as criticizing her after that, the options are innumerable, but yeah - love it or leave it, and loving it does not mean don't criticize. It just means - be a part of the country or GTFO.

2. Does criticizing militarism count as not being "part of the country"? If so, I'm curious about the level of social and political conformity required to satisfy you.

3. I find it peculiar that you only offer the choice between assimilation or expulsion. I question whether you could tolerate without angst someone who wanted neither American citizenship nor repatriation--that is, someone who just wants to dwell indifferently. Refugees and stateless persons are a good example, and the fact of their frequent persecution (a result of their lack of a formal legal or political status) suggests that most people are similarly incapable of tolerating their existence.

No - WE - be a part of the country or don't. After that, it's all up to you, but you can't exclude yourself. At that point, denounce your citizenship and GTFO.

Participation is an ultimatum. After that, it's up to the individual.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:52:48 AM

We the people...

States don't hold ontological supremacy. Try again.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:54:42 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:27:56 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 2/26/2013 10:35:28 PM, lewis20 wrote:

We spend 600 billion. We spend well over 2 trillion on entitlements. If you want to save money, focus on what we are actually spending on.

Regarding the bolded, what about the rest of the Middle East, South Korea, Taiwan, SE Asia, and more recently the former USSR? And China is now part of the WTO.

Oh, but I guess NK and Iran are more important. :/

What about the rest? Your position pre supposes a more violent world with nuclear weapons and without us hegemony. There is absolutely no way to prove what history would look like either way but we can make best decisions as to what will serve the world best going forward. Of which I don't think a bloated military budget and adventurism can be justified as a net positive.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:55:53 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:49:32 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

No - WE - be a part of the country or don't.

That is a demand, not an argument. Besides, you still haven't explained what it means to be "part of the country", so it's not even a demand to which I could acquiesce.

After that, it's all up to you, but you can't exclude yourself. At that point, denounce your citizenship and GTFO.

I'm not excluding myself. With any luck, I'd be positioned such that I would be neither inside nor outside--neither an American citizen nor a deportee. I'd just sort of be here, doin' stuff.

An ultimatum supported by an assertion. Compelling.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:58:36 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:29:49 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Any discrepancies can be attributed to nuclear weapons, the top dozen most powerful nations leave each other to peace because the next great war is the end.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 2:02:05 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:52:48 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

We the people...

States don't hold ontological supremacy. Try again.

I don't give a f*ck if you exist, Descartes. But, since I have t assume you do, and since I am a part of the country, as is every other person who chooses to be, if you're choosing not to be, quit being a metaphysical p*ssy and take the next existential express the f*ck out of my country.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 2:04:47 AM
At 2/27/2013 1:55:53 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/27/2013 1:49:32 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

No - WE - be a part of the country or don't.

That is a demand, not an argument. Besides, you still haven't explained what it means to be "part of the country", so it's not even a demand to which I could acquiesce.

After that, it's all up to you, but you can't exclude yourself. At that point, denounce your citizenship and GTFO.

I'm not excluding myself. With any luck, I'd be positioned such that I would be neither inside nor outside--neither an American citizen nor a deportee. I'd just sort of be here, doin' stuff.

Let's try as a question - do you consider yourself a citizen of this country?

(though, your meander through existence philosophy is an incredibly weak one...we'll get to that in a moment, though)

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 2:08:13 AM
Whatever happened to askbob

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 2:12:05 AM
At 2/27/2013 2:04:47 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 2/27/2013 1:55:53 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Let's try as a question - do you consider yourself a citizen of this country?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Legally, I'm a citizen.

(though, your meander through existence philosophy is an incredibly weak one...we'll get to that in a moment, though)

Presupposing that it is weak--and oversimplifying it as "meandering"--is a luxury that you do not have. Also, trying to foreshadow your argument does not help you.