Jump to topic:

The [extreme] Christian Right is neither.*

proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:45:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Recently a FB friend [1] posted some B.S. swift boat-worthy crap about Jane Fonda [2]. Now I'm no big fan of Henry Fonda's daughter, but this kind of slander really gets my goat.

When I posted a somewhat verbal @ss whipping the "culprit" whined some crap about the "FB police" and "the left does it."

I'm getting so used to this type of moronic nonsense from my [extreme] right wing and yes, Christian family members that I was reminded of the 70s and 80s bumper sticker slogan: "The Moral Majority is neither."

Well, my [extreme] right wing brothers are so clueless and ignorant that I thought I'd post this topic.

[1] actually my extreme right wing brother (who I love very much and is one of my closest family members in most ways)
[2] See truthorfiction.com for the type of slander. http://www.truthorfiction.com...

* I don't like to make universal blanket statements, so I will qualify this:

The ones I know, and I'd be happy if someone would prove me wrong by showing that one can be from the extreme Christian Right and have a very high IQ and understanding of history, etc.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater
*Except in a democracy it might lose you an election.

http://unitedwegovern.org...
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:50:12 PM
At 3/3/2013 6:45:23 PM, proglib wrote:
Recently a FB friend [1] posted some B.S. swift boat-worthy crap about Jane Fonda [2]. Now I'm no big fan of Henry Fonda's daughter, but this kind of slander really gets my goat.

When I posted a somewhat verbal @ss whipping the "culprit" whined some crap about the "FB police" and "the left does it."

I'm getting so used to this type of moronic nonsense from my [extreme] right wing and yes, Christian family members that I was reminded of the 70s and 80s bumper sticker slogan: "The Moral Majority is neither."

Well, my [extreme] right wing brothers are so clueless and ignorant that I thought I'd post this topic.

[1] actually my extreme right wing brother (who I love very much and is one of my closest family members in most ways)
[2] See truthorfiction.com for the type of slander. http://www.truthorfiction.com...

The ones I know, and I'd be happy if someone would prove me wrong by showing that one can be from the extreme Christian Right and have a very high IQ and understanding of history, etc.

The extreme christian right is more ignorant than stupid.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 7:09:46 PM
At 3/3/2013 6:50:12 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

THANKS for your response.

I would probably agree that it is more ignorance than stupidity.

However, based on my experience, both with my (truly loved) family members and others, it seems actually a little of both. I'll start with the "stupid" examples:

* "FB Police censoring one's FB buddies"
I guess this could just be considered ignorance of what censorship means. So, OK.

* It's OK to post slanderous crap about Jane Fonda, and not do any fact checking because "the left does it."

To me this is just stupid. The most basic sense of two wrongs do not make a right and the golden rule are violated here. Would you call that ignorance? [Serious question, I appreciate your response to my topic, and am not at all feeling confrontational towards you.:D]

My brother is not ignorant of either of the above ethical principles. He is just too stupid to make the connection (or to be on DDO thank goodness.:D) My other brother, S, is mostly ignorant and smart as a whip. He is also mostly a lot more open-minded than his older brother K.

Cheers
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.* And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." Barry Goldwater

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 7:27:41 PM
You realize Swift Boat was right, right?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 7:55:00 PM
At 3/3/2013 7:27:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Actually, no. Care to enlighten me? [Again, a serious question.]

I do know that the crap my brother circulated about Jane Fonda was slanderous and seemed not to be backed up by any credible evidence. And when I called him on it he responded the way extreme right wing fanatics have been responding lately: "I don't have to show you any stinking (evidence)..."

His post violated so many tenets of Christianity and what I was raised to think was part of the American sense of fair play that it astounded me--except that he seems to do this regularly, and to have learned it from his FB and other far right buddies and websites.

http://www.debate.org...

ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:10:18 PM

I think you in yourself are either ignorant and only reading and listening to biased media outlets, or are you are just straw-manning all of this to manipulate others.

I agree that a lot of the christian right are ignorant, but you can not simply discount all of them as ignorant, I am on the right, I am not Christian, but I am theistic (agnostic who agrees that there is some all knowing creator), I don't think I am a genius, but I am not misinformed or ignorant in any sense of the word.

There are a lot of ignorant leftists too, have you ever heard of the term 'chicken democrats'? If you don't, it's basically someone who goes for elections and, without having ANY knowledge of the issues or candidates, just votes along party lines on EVERYTHING. My parents are chicken democrats, and so is all of my family except for my aunt and uncle on my mom's side. I believe being overly passionate and misinformed is just as bad as not caring and being misinformed.
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:12:30 PM
At 3/3/2013 7:27:41 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Research starting:

http://www.snopes.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

http://www.factcheck.org...

Until you provide evidence to the contrary, I'd say, "No, it doesn't appear that Swift Boat was right" not in the sense of all the scurrilous accusations about Kerry not earning his medals, etc., etc.

I can't say I look forward to your evidence, but I am interested to say the least. Again, I'm no big fan of the Secretary of State. However, like Ms. Fonda, though he has plenty of real foibles to be criticized for, I'm not interested in poorly evidenced accusations.

Did I mention that "innocent until proven guilty" is a bedrock value I was raised on as an American, and that my supposedly hyper-patriotic brothers seem ignorant of?

proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:28:12 PM
At 3/3/2013 8:10:18 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:

I think you in yourself are either ignorant and only reading and listening to biased media outlets, or are you are just straw-manning all of this to manipulate others.

I agree that a lot of the christian right are ignorant, but you can not simply discount all of them as ignorant, I am on the right, I am not Christian, but I am theistic (agnostic who agrees that there is some all knowing creator), I don't think I am a genius, but I am not misinformed or ignorant in any sense of the word.

There are a lot of ignorant leftists too, have you ever heard of the term 'chicken democrats'? If you don't, it's basically someone who goes for elections and, without having ANY knowledge of the issues or candidates, just votes along party lines on EVERYTHING. My parents are chicken democrats, and so is all of my family except for my aunt and uncle on my mom's side. I believe being overly passionate and misinformed is just as bad as not caring and being misinformed.

@ConservativeAmerican,

Thank you for your response.

It is truly unpleasant for me to quote myself, but it seems necessary in this case. Please see the asterisk in both the title of the topic and above, as I made clear that I was not talking about all extreme right Christians.

My brothers are very much flesh and blood, not straw. The Jane Fonda slander is being spread around the internet as we speak, so I really don't think I exaggerated the anti-Christian methods of the so-called Christian Right.

Lastly, hell yes there are a lot of ignorant leftists. Notice my signature (quoting myself again? I must not mind it as much as I said.:D). Extremists of either side love to distort and slander.

Basic ethical principle I was taught as a Christian American child:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

teddy2013
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:47:39 PM

I agree that ignorance and intelligence are two different things and both sides have their fair share.
Also, I have never read anybody on this website say anything good about John Kerry, so let me be the first. In this highly partisan Senate, the fact that he got 97 votes for confirmation shows that his colleagues believe he is a smart and competent man and qualified to lead The State Department.
Whether liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican, we should all agree John Kerry was a war hero. While he may not be the most exciting personality, I am happy to have a Secretary of State who has seen combat. I am not looking to get into any discussions about swift boating, it does not deserve any response. I just wanted to stick up for a decent man.
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:52:14 PM
At 3/3/2013 8:28:12 PM, proglib wrote:

@ConservativeAmerican,

It is truly unpleasant for me to quote myself, but it seems necessary in this case. Please see the asterisk in both the title of the topic and above, as I made clear that I was not talking about all extreme right Christians.

My brothers are very much flesh and blood, not straw. The Jane Fonda slander is being spread around the internet as we speak, so I really don't think I exaggerated the anti-Christian methods of the so-called Christian Right.

Lastly, hell yes there are a lot of ignorant leftists. Notice my signature (quoting myself again? I must not mind it as much as I said.:D). Extremists of either side love to distort and slander.

That is fine, I just always practice being balanced in criticism, you will find me criticizing the right at times too. For example, I despise the amount of direct military confrontation that America uses, I am a strong supporter of hegemony (control through economic influence and military deterrence before confrontation). I also am very critical of the extreme right, like Rush who want to turn america non-secular again because it might help "teach people morals". I personally wrote a letter to him at his radio station where he broadcasts and talked to him about this, while I like him a lot otherwise I told him "You want to trash secularism because religion teaches morals? I think you mean your definition of morals, morals are too subjective to be imposed on other human beings Mr.Rush, and your's are no different than anyone else's". I still haven't received my reply, I wait for the day when I do.

I am not afraid to be swayed or have my mind changed by others, I surround myself with a diverse group of friends when it comes to politics. Well, enough self-appreciation, you ultimately seem like you didn't deserve this tongue-lashing and were just trying to prove a point that I initially failed to be receptive to. Do I agree that this woman is a scumbag? Hell yes. Do I agree that gives people the right to slander her? Of course not, considering the information we already have on her should disqualify her for an list of outstanding Americans, and I am now considering personally writing a letter to this show you speak, or even personally to Barbara Walters and I will directly criticize her about how there are no shortage of outstanding women and she didn't have any need to pick this woman. I will also tell her how, while America isn't perfect, she should be ashamed for idolizing a woman who herself idolized the enemy and then went on to discount the stories of American POW's and dared to call our american hero's who served our country and then had to endure being the captors of an inhumane enemies "liars and hypocrites". No lies should have been told, and none needed to be told about this woman, she was despicable by her true documented actions alone. I understand beef with the man (gov't, lol), I have beef with the man, but I won't dare spit on the young men and women who serve our country, they deserve to be elevated as heroes, not this swine. I might personally have all those who support me help draft a letter to Fonda and Walters about how they are indoctrinating children to despise their nation. I will only use what is confirmed to be true in the letter to critique them, are you interested?
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 2:36:19 AM
At 3/3/2013 8:47:39 PM, teddy2013 wrote:

I agree that ignorance and intelligence are two different things and both sides have their fair share.
Also, I have never read anybody on this website say anything good about John Kerry, so let me be the first. In this highly partisan Senate, the fact that he got 97 votes for confirmation shows that his colleagues believe he is a smart and competent man and qualified to lead The State Department.
Whether liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican, we should all agree John Kerry was a war hero. While he may not be the most exciting personality, I am happy to have a Secretary of State who has seen combat. I am not looking to get into any discussions about swift boating, it does not deserve any response. I just wanted to stick up for a decent man.

Thanks, teddy, good points!

I have to admit the biggest thing I have against Kerry is that he's so boring, (and blew the chance to beat Bush:D--not completely his fault.)

proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 2:47:46 AM
At 3/3/2013 8:52:14 PM, ConservativeAmerican wrote:
At 3/3/2013 8:28:12 PM, proglib wrote:

@ConservativeAmerican,

That is fine, I just always practice being balanced in criticism, you will find me criticizing the right at times too. For example, I despise the amount of direct military confrontation that America uses, I am a strong supporter of hegemony (control through economic influence and military deterrence before confrontation). I also am very critical of the extreme right, like Rush who want to turn america non-secular again because it might help "teach people morals". I personally wrote a letter to him at his radio station where he broadcasts and talked to him about this, while I like him a lot otherwise I told him "You want to trash secularism because religion teaches morals? I think you mean your definition of morals, morals are too subjective to be imposed on other human beings Mr.Rush, and your's are no different than anyone else's". I still haven't received my reply, I wait for the day when I do.

I am not afraid to be swayed or have my mind changed by others, I surround myself with a diverse group of friends when it comes to politics. Well, enough self-appreciation, you ultimately seem like you didn't deserve this tongue-lashing and were just trying to prove a point that I initially failed to be receptive to. Do I agree that this woman is a scumbag? Hell yes. Do I agree that gives people the right to slander her? Of course not, considering the information we already have on her should disqualify her for an list of outstanding Americans, and I am now considering personally writing a letter to this show you speak, or even personally to Barbara Walters and I will directly criticize her about how there are no shortage of outstanding women and she didn't have any need to pick this woman. I will also tell her how, while America isn't perfect, she should be ashamed for idolizing a woman who herself idolized the enemy and then went on to discount the stories of American POW's and dared to call our american hero's who served our country and then had to endure being the captors of an inhumane enemies "liars and hypocrites". No lies should have been told, and none needed to be told about this woman, she was despicable by her true documented actions alone. I understand beef with the man (gov't, lol), I have beef with the man, but I won't dare spit on the young men and women who serve our country, they deserve to be elevated as heroes, not this swine. I might personally have all those who support me help draft a letter to Fonda and Walters about how they are indoctrinating children to despise their nation. I will only use what is confirmed to be true in the letter to critique them, are you interested?

@ConservativeAmerican

Thanks.

I also like balance in my friends and get it in spades in my LARGE Irish/Italian Catholic family. :) Most of my brothers and sisters are moderate to conservative Republicans, and several of them are much more balanced than I am, I have to admit.

(more later. my wife rightly chews me out when I'm on DDO this late...:( Yikes)strong

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 2:57:07 AM

Extremism is the product of fear.

Left wing extremists fear a world dominated by private entities, so they rebel against the things which seem to support those entities.

Right wing extremists are typically afraid of change. They also typically believe they have some natural right to dominate their environment, despite lacking one or more characteristic which make that possible for them (smart but lazy, strong but clumsy, and so on), so the rebel against anything which supports change.

They're not big fans of the secular state either, obviously, but that is because it would be a large change for them, and one they are unprepared to handle.

Fear probably does come from a lack of understanding. I don't know if that's stupidity, ignorance, myopathy, inbreeding (meaning the fear is bred into them - nurture vs nature), something else, or some combination of many things.

I find food helps. Who can hate those zipperheads after having some delicious Dim Sum? (bringing it back to Hanoi Jane...)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 3:00:17 AM
At 3/4/2013 2:36:19 AM, proglib wrote:

I have to admit the biggest thing I have against Kerry is that he's so boring, (and blew the chance to beat Bush:D--not completely his fault.)

I was just about to jerk off to some nice internet porn and you ruined it by invoking Kerry. Thanks a lot, @sshole.

teddy2013
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 5:58:02 PM
At 3/4/2013 3:00:17 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

I was just about to jerk off to some nice internet porn and you ruined it by invoking Kerry. Thanks a lot, @sshole.

Sorry, I should have brought up Hillary, then you would have not even needed porn to jerk off, lol.
proglib
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 7:19:14 PM
At 3/4/2013 5:58:02 PM, teddy2013 wrote:

Sorry, I should have brought up Hillary, then you would have not even needed porn to jerk off, lol.

ROFLMAO [on the commuter train! :D]

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 7:44:54 PM
At 3/3/2013 6:50:12 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

Hmm, is Pat Robertson, that great believer in capitalism as well as (an unsavory concept of) God, an ignorant and stupid fellow? Or in your book does his staunch belief in capitalism redeem him (in his day he was also quite the practitioner of capitalism, making millions in a thoroughly unethical and exploitative fashion, is that a perverse plus?)? Hmm? Does it trouble you to have folks of his ilk in your pro-capitalist camp? Here, I'll go first and say that I'm frankly somewhat unhappy about the fact that Jim Jones proclaimed himself to be a socialist, can you honestly discuss your feelings about having some quite spiritually ugly preachers on your side of the ideological divide? Or will you simply take the ideological coward's way out and downplay the fact that the right seems to be the natural home for greedy televangelists and bigoted preachers?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 10:25:51 PM
At 3/4/2013 7:19:14 PM, proglib wrote:
At 3/4/2013 5:58:02 PM, teddy2013 wrote:

ROFLMAO [on the commuter train! :D]

Because I realized after the fact that it wouldn't have made a shred of difference in how the major policies of the Executive Branch rolled out of the White House, I found myself secretly wishing that McCain would have taken the election in 2008, because there's never really been anyone in the White House (well, maybe Jackie-O...but that's not my lifetime) to whom I could successfully squeeze one off while having sexual fantasies about them.

Oh well...I suppose I can (and have) settle(d) for Michelle. That woman is TOO fine. DAMN!!!