How many people advocate...

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:55:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For their views?

DDO has a lot of very intelligent people, from what I can see, we all have views, but how many people actually do something with those views instead of just debating? How many people act on them?

I'm just curious.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:58:59 PM
At 3/3/2013 9:56:49 PM, Polaris wrote:
Not I.

Perfect place to follow up, for those who do not do anything with their views, then why exactly should it matter what you think? If all you do is debate, what will change? Nothing.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:02:00 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:00:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
My life is a continuous play. Eris writes my lines and I never break character.

Life would be extremely dull.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:12:19 PM
I'm sure most on here vote and if you can get people to vote for the right thing you are helping, right?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:13:47 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:12:19 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I'm sure most on here vote and if you can get people to vote for the right thing you are helping, right?

I mean beyond voting, but, yes voting is a form of political participation, even if a not very active one.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:15:08 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:02:00 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Why would you say that?

The only reason we have opinions at all is to entertain ourselves.

And I happen to be an expert entertainer.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:24:22 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:15:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/3/2013 10:02:00 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

Why would you say that?

If life was completely scripted, then there is nothing left to chance. The world wouldn't have much meaning in my opinion. The fact nothing can be predicted 100% makes the world have more meaning.

The only reason we have opinions at all is to entertain ourselves.

And I happen to be an expert entertainer.
Why not entertain others?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:25:34 PM
Or the truth, no amount of advocacy is going to change anything, take George Carlin's advice. Become a spectator.

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:27:38 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:25:34 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Or the truth, no amount of advocacy is going to change anything, take George Carlin's advice. Become a spectator.

I reject your premise simply because you can't know the future.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:31:37 PM
At 3/3/2013 9:58:59 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 3/3/2013 9:56:49 PM, Polaris wrote:
Not I.

Perfect place to follow up, for those who do not do anything with their views, then why exactly should it matter what you think? If all you do is debate, what will change? Nothing.

I enjoy debate. I don't intend to change anything.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:47:07 PM
At 3/3/2013 9:55:40 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
For their views?

DDO has a lot of very intelligent people, from what I can see, we all have views, but how many people actually do something with those views instead of just debating? How many people act on them?

I'm just curious.

To debate is to advocate for you views.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:51:24 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:47:07 PM, vbaculum wrote:
For their views?

I'm just curious.

So what has really changed in the world because of DDO? Debating your political views is not the same as becoming an activist through an organization. When I say advocate, I mean off the Internet and in the real world where it matters.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:51:53 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:27:38 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

By that logic you can't ever know anything.

MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:55:55 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:51:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Therefore everybody must know nothing.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 10:58:49 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:51:24 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
For their views?

I'm just curious.

So what has really changed in the world because of DDO? Debating your political views is not the same as becoming an activist through an organization. When I say advocate, I mean off the Internet and in the real world where it matters.

If you can change 2 votes on DDO and you change zero votes handing out fliers door to door then how could you say the 'real world' matters and the internet doesn't?

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 11:04:20 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:51:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Please explain. You can have complete knowledge about the present and the past, just not the future.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 11:08:41 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:58:49 PM, lewis20 wrote:
For their views?

I'm just curious.

If you can change 2 votes on DDO and you change zero votes handing out fliers door to door then how could you say the 'real world' matters and the internet doesn't?

Why do you assume you can change 2 votes on DDO? Why do you assume you change 0 votes in the world? From my experience, it is through talking to people face to face that causes them to rethink their views (if at all.)

And why do you assume that handing out fliers is the only way to be politically active?
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 11:18:57 PM
For their views?

I'm just curious.

I didn't say activism was ineffectual or unimportant. However, one should never underestimate the power of expressing their opinions. This is why we have freedom of speech. Speech is so powerful that it would be stripped from us if it weren't protected.

Also, consider the Tipping Point effect: http://science.slashdot.org...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 11:22:48 PM
At 3/3/2013 10:24:22 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
If life was completely scripted, then there is nothing left to chance. The world wouldn't have much meaning in my opinion. The fact nothing can be predicted 100% makes the world have more meaning.

Both "a chancy life" and a "scripted life" are metaphorical. It's pointless to attack a meaning that I'm not applying.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Angry_Bird
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 11:41:02 PM
For their views?

I'm just curious.

Define "intelligent" please.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 11:54:07 PM
- I voted for Gary Johnson and Dean Heller.

- I attend every Ron Paul rally in my city.

- I spread messages of Liberty everywhere online.

- I've changed people's views, exposed them to new information and modes of thought

- I have a Rand Paul bumper sticker on my 2012 car. Looks stylish, not tacky.

- My Councilman is a Libertarian Republican. I live in his council ward and work for him.

- I wear Ron Paul shirts to Obama/Romney rallies.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 1:18:38 AM
For their views?

I'm just curious.

I volunteer at a local halfway house run by a priest who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize this year (which he has no chance of winning, but it's still kinda cool to be nominated).

His work helping the poor has no bearing on his anti-nuclear weapons stance for which he is being nominated for the peace prize (he and two nuns walked over the line at the nearby nuclear sub base and planted flowers...and got jailed for a long time as a result, and the priest still has to wear an ankle monitor since he's still under arrest, though he is on home detention...which would make it interesting if he did win and get invited to Norway).

I have no idea if this is advocacy, but I like helping out someone who does what he does. It's all good work, and the house has imagery from all religions and books relating to all religions, so that's pretty cool as well.

It works for me. Used to volunteer at a facility in the city I usually live in which houses the highest price vagrants who take up the most city resources and housed them for free in a fairly nice studio apartment with all new furniture.

The place saved the city ~$5 million/year, and was a much more humane way of dealing with this group (most of whom are mentally ill in some capacity or another). Again, not sure if it's advocacy, but I am applying my labor, free of charge, to these organizations/endeavors because I believe in the work that they are doing, so I suppose it's advocacy in the broad sense of the term.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 9:10:02 AM
At 3/3/2013 11:41:02 PM, Angry_Bird wrote:
For their views?

I'm just curious.

Define "intelligent" please.

Have you ever debated over facebook? I would guess that even the so-called stupid DDOers are still above average or very close to it, in terms of intlligence.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 9:33:11 AM
At 3/4/2013 1:18:38 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
For their views?

I'm just curious.

I volunteer at a local halfway house run by a priest who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize this year (which he has no chance of winning, but it's still kinda cool to be nominated).

His work helping the poor has no bearing on his anti-nuclear weapons stance for which he is being nominated for the peace prize (he and two nuns walked over the line at the nearby nuclear sub base and planted flowers...and got jailed for a long time as a result, and the priest still has to wear an ankle monitor since he's still under arrest, though he is on home detention...which would make it interesting if he did win and get invited to Norway).

I have no idea if this is advocacy, but I like helping out someone who does what he does. It's all good work, and the house has imagery from all religions and books relating to all religions, so that's pretty cool as well.

It works for me. Used to volunteer at a facility in the city I usually live in which houses the highest price vagrants who take up the most city resources and housed them for free in a fairly nice studio apartment with all new furniture.

The place saved the city ~$5 million/year, and was a much more humane way of dealing with this group (most of whom are mentally ill in some capacity or another). Again, not sure if it's advocacy, but I am applying my labor, free of charge, to these organizations/endeavors because I believe in the work that they are doing, so I suppose it's advocacy in the broad sense of the term.

Admirable stuff. You've actually got me a little inspired.

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 9:39:23 AM
At 3/4/2013 1:18:38 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
For their views?

I'm just curious.

I think you win.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 9:43:32 AM
I tried to go to a pro-choice rally a few month ago. But the friend who invited me had me meet him at a pub, then we ended up spending the night at the pub before we went home.

I have been to 4 marijuana legalization rallies.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 9:50:43 AM
At 3/4/2013 9:43:32 AM, muzebreak wrote:
I tried to go to a pro-choice rally a few month ago. But the friend who invited me had me meet him at a pub, then we ended up spending the night at the pub before we went home.

I have been to 4 marijuana legalization rallies.

I think if you can make it to a rock the vote show you can earn your boyscout Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll Merit Badge.

Good work!
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...