flouride

ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 12:14:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.lewrockwell.com...

what do you think about the flouridization? apparently the health benefits are only for 5-9 year olds, and flouride is a toxic and possibly carcinogenic substance. why can't the tots just brush their teeth with this junk?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 12:22:21 PM
I've heard the flouride they dump in water is a cheap way for companies to get rid of their toxic smelting biproducts.

Plus it's extremely counter intuitive to think that you should ingest a substance just for the benefit it has while it's in contact with your teeth.

I wish there was more substantial research, on either side.

Harvard study
'The children in high fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ than those who lived in low fluoride areas'
http://www.reuters.com...

If I'm wrong and brushing twice a day + flossing doesn't keep my teeth healthy where fluoride would have, They can say they told me so. But if there is the slightest chance that fluoride hurts in the development of our kids brains I'll take the chance that my teeth go bad.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 1:02:38 PM
At 3/5/2013 12:22:21 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I wish there was more substantial research, on either side.

The EPA admits on their own website that fluoride is a neurotoxin.

If I'm wrong and brushing twice a day + flossing doesn't keep my teeth healthy where fluoride would have, They can say they told me so. But if there is the slightest chance that fluoride hurts in the development of our kids brains I'll take the chance that my teeth go bad.

I have fluoride-free toothpaste and mouthwash. Most mouthwash is fluoride-free, you don't need fluoride for clean teeth.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 1:08:44 PM
The fact that flouride is in public water is a big joke. As if we already don't get enough flouride into our teeth that is absorbed into our gums and ergo throughout the body, we have to ingest it too.

It's another reason I agree with water privatization. When the government steps in, efficiency steps out.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 1:24:18 PM
At 3/5/2013 1:11:17 PM, pozessed wrote:
I haven't done much research yet. Here is an interesting document though.

http://www.scienceinmedicine.org...

I guess it bears the question then, is an '18% decrease in the DMFS score for children in fluoridated areas' worth the 'significantly lower IQ'
Better yet, should people be able to make their own decisions on water fluoridation or does the government decide what's best for you.

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 10:26:07 AM
I will comment though.

It seems that the benefits the government website describes are completely out numbered to the ill side effects mentioned in the fluoridation.com website.

It can be comparable to a lot of the drug commercials that promise to relieve a small but annoying symptom (RLS), but have numerous side effects that are worse than the original on-set.

From what I have read, I think I may start to think a little more about my own fluoride intake.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 10:37:59 AM
At 3/7/2013 10:26:07 AM, pozessed wrote:
I will comment though.

It seems that the benefits the government website describes are completely out numbered to the ill side effects mentioned in the fluoridation.com website.

It can be comparable to a lot of the drug commercials that promise to relieve a small but annoying symptom (RLS), but have numerous side effects that are worse than the original on-set.

The difference being your consent in taking drugs, while they don't need your consent to drug your water.

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 10:49:33 AM
At 3/7/2013 10:37:59 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2013 10:26:07 AM, pozessed wrote:
I will comment though.

The difference being your consent in taking drugs, while they don't need your consent to drug your water.

I think they should try more for fluoride purification instead of adding i to our water. From what I have read it is not very beneficial and the amount needed for the benefits is easily obtainable by natural daily eating habits and hygiene routines.

My question is, with the pros and cons significantly outweighing each other, why is any amount considered healthy in public water supplies?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 12:29:15 PM
At 3/7/2013 10:49:33 AM, pozessed wrote:
My question is, with the pros and cons significantly outweighing each other, why is any amount considered healthy in public water supplies?

What I've heard is that the fluoride used is toxic by-product of smelting process' and it's a way for companies to dump said product.

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 9:06:13 PM
Here is what the warning my my tube of aquafresh fluoride toothpaste says. Read yours and I guarantee it is on it too.

"If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away."

i still wonder what the F am I doing putting this stuff in my mouth each day? It is time to stop dosing ourselves with city water with fluoride and just let people choose to use it or not in their dental products.