Jump to topic:

Where Does The Government Get s Power?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:10:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"We have never passed a constitutional amendment granting the federal government any power to ban marijuana, or cocaine or other drugs. The federal government"s contemporary prohibition policy is an illegal and unconstitutional usurpation of a power never granted to it."

"What right could be more basic, more inherent in human nature, than the right to choose what substances to put in one"s own body? Whether we"re talking about alcohol, tobacco, herbal cures, saturated fat, or marijuana, this is a decision that should be made by the individual, not the government. If government can tell us what we can put into our own bodies, what can it not tell us? What limits on government action are there?"

http://www.britannica.com...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:13:36 AM
Military, FBI, and CIA that are all loyal to the government laws and will fvck you up if you try to break the law or rebel. Also, there's the fact that at least 95% of people consider the government's force to be legit.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:21:27 AM
At 3/7/2013 11:13:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Military, FBI, and CIA that are all loyal to the government laws and will fvck you up if you try to break the law or rebel. Also, there's the fact that at least 95% of people consider the government's force to be legit.

Maybe I should ask "where the government gets the right?"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:23:45 AM
At 3/7/2013 11:21:27 AM, pozessed wrote:

might makes right.
Open borders debate:
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:27:38 AM
At 3/7/2013 11:23:45 AM, darkkermit wrote:

might makes right.

No, might makes rules which it enforces. That doesn't give it a right to make and enforce the rules, just the ability.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 12:07:17 PM
At 3/7/2013 11:27:38 AM, pozessed wrote:

might makes right.

No, might makes rules which it enforces. That doesn't give it a right to make and enforce the rules, just the ability.

And yet any theory of justice cannot correspond to the notion of reality, since people in the real world act on incentives and don't care about the theory of justice. Nor is any theory of justice likely to be objectively correct since there are many different theories of justice in philosophy, many of them contradicting one another and there is no convergent to what the theory of justice is.
Open borders debate:
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 12:37:09 PM
At 3/7/2013 12:07:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:

might makes right.

And yet any theory of justice cannot correspond to the notion of reality, since people in the real world act on incentives and don't care about the theory of justice. Nor is any theory of justice likely to be objectively correct since there are many different theories of justice in philosophy, many of them contradicting one another and there is no convergent to what the theory of justice is.

I can't argue with your statement sir. It hits the nail on the head.
However, that still doesn't give the government a right to anything. Even if it did, would that make the governments right(s) more significant than the individuals it is supposed to represent?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 12:58:30 PM
At 3/7/2013 12:37:09 PM, pozessed wrote:
At 3/7/2013 12:07:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:

might makes right.

I can't argue with your statement sir. It hits the nail on the head.
However, that still doesn't give the government a right to anything. Even if it did, would that make the governments right(s) more significant than the individuals it is supposed to represent?

You can't argue with your statement, but your still going to ignore everything I said and repeat this nonsense.
Open borders debate:
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 1:04:02 PM
The government is not some abstract entity that rules us all. It is made up of people we put there to make the decisions we want them to make. The question you should be asking is why the majority of the population has the right to enforce their decisions on the rest of society. My answer is simply because of the reality of human nature. I think Winston Churchill put it best: "democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 1:20:37 PM

I'd argue its public education. Force can only do so much. I think their larger power comes through their monopoly on education. If you can control what kids learn through the most vital years in their life you can breed an ill-placed patriotism and complacency within them.

People argue religions brainwash their kids from before they can think, yet not near as many people complain when the same kids are pledging allegiance to a flag, years before they've developed critical thinking skills.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 1:26:16 PM
I pledge compliance, to the laws, of the United states of America; and to the current party which makes those laws, one government, under democracy, with welfare and food stamps for all.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 2:21:13 PM
The federal government derives its authority from the constitution, and derives its legitimacy from the people and the member states.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 2:40:03 PM
At 3/7/2013 2:21:13 PM, DanT wrote:
The federal government derives its authority from the constitution, and derives its legitimacy from the people and the member states.

Where/when does the constitution give the government the right to decide for a majority of its people?
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 2:41:10 PM
At 3/7/2013 2:40:03 PM, pozessed wrote:

Where/when does the constitution give the government the right to decide for a majority of its people?

majority of its peoples personal choices?*
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 2:49:55 PM

First off, the constitution only gives the federal government jurisdiction over interstate and international matters, other than in US territories (guam) and federal districts (DC).
Furthermore the house of reps represents the people, while the senate represents the states, and congress legislates on their behalf, within their limitted constitutional authority.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 3:40:10 PM
At 3/7/2013 11:10:04 AM, pozessed wrote:
"We have never passed a constitutional amendment granting the federal government any power to ban marijuana, or cocaine or other drugs. The federal government"s contemporary prohibition policy is an illegal and unconstitutional usurpation of a power never granted to it."

"What right could be more basic, more inherent in human nature, than the right to choose what substances to put in one"s own body? Whether we"re talking about alcohol, tobacco, herbal cures, saturated fat, or marijuana, this is a decision that should be made by the individual, not the government. If government can tell us what we can put into our own bodies, what can it not tell us? What limits on government action are there?"

http://www.britannica.com...

The Constitution is pretty explicit about the process by which the Government can pass and enforce laws.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 3:43:10 PM

Maybe you should actually read the Constitution, that would be a good place to start.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 5:51:02 PM
At 3/7/2013 1:20:37 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I'd argue its public education. Force can only do so much. I think their larger power comes through their monopoly on education. If you can control what kids learn through the most vital years in their life you can breed an ill-placed patriotism and complacency within them.

That's true. See the bolded as well. They can influence people's favorism towards the states.

However do you really think though that if public education was removed, then everyone would become anarchist? People privately educated or homeschooled don't tend to become anarchist. Almost all people are statist as well and will pass down their value of statism to their children as well. People who have conservative parents are more likely to be conservative and people who have liberal parents are more likely to be liberal.

People argue religions brainwash their kids from before they can think, yet not near as many people complain when the same kids are pledging allegiance to a flag, years before they've developed critical thinking skills.

although the fact that religion still exists even though its voluntarily seems to indicated that people would still worship the state even if public schools didn't exist.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 5:52:16 PM
At 3/7/2013 3:43:10 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Maybe you should actually read the Constitution, that would be a good place to start.

Where does the constitution get its right? Its some paper written hundreds of years ago by some dudes that I don't even know personally.
Open borders debate:
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:24:11 PM
At 3/7/2013 5:52:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 3/7/2013 3:43:10 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Where does the constitution get its right? Its some paper written hundreds of years ago by some dudes that I don't even know personally.

If a new constitutional convention is held tomorrow I guarantee you won't personally know the delegates to that convention either
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 3:35:54 AM

That's kind of what the constitution is.