Jump to topic:

Something I will NEVER understand

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 6:37:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here is something I never understand. Why is it that the people who demonize the wealthy are filthy rich themselves?

For example, Hugo Chavez promised to "spread the wealth" and believed the rich were not paying their fair share, yet when he died he was worth 2 billion dollars http://www.inquisitr.com...

Michael Moore criticized the wealthy by saying, ""Just 400 Americans -- 400 -- have more wealth than half of all Americans combined." Yet he is worth a total of 100 million dollars! Criticizes capitalism, yet he gets wealthy off of capitalism.

One last example, Al Gore is worth 100 million dollars as well, criticizes big oil and sells CurrentTV to Al Jazeera, a network that celebrated a terrorist by giving him a televized birthday party and celebrated 9/11 as a great victory. Al Jazeera is also owned by one of the biggest producers of big oil.

Can someone say, hypocrisy?
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 6:55:40 PM
At 3/7/2013 6:37:56 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Here is something I never understand. Why is it that the people who demonize the wealthy are filthy rich themselves?

For example, Hugo Chavez promised to "spread the wealth" and believed the rich were not paying their fair share, yet when he died he was worth 2 billion dollars http://www.inquisitr.com...

Michael Moore criticized the wealthy by saying, ""Just 400 Americans -- 400 -- have more wealth than half of all Americans combined." Yet he is worth a total of 100 million dollars! Criticizes capitalism, yet he gets wealthy off of capitalism.

One last example, Al Gore is worth 100 million dollars as well, criticizes big oil and sells CurrentTV to Al Jazeera, a network that celebrated a terrorist by giving him a televized birthday party and celebrated 9/11 as a great victory. Al Jazeera is also owned by one of the biggest producers of big oil.

Michael Moore makes his money be lying. Check some of the fact checks for his movies, 90% of what he spews out of his fat dirty mouth is leftist propaganda.

Al Gore is also an environmental fanatic, seems like he wouldn't want to give money to the oil companies, oh well, I guess talk is cheap nowadays anyways.

Hugo Chavez was a thief who gained the support of the populous by class warfare.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 7:54:38 PM

same reason why the top debaters can critize the voting system. Becoming rich off the system does not mean you believe you deserve to be rich from the system.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:06:54 PM
At 3/7/2013 7:54:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:
same reason why the top debaters can critize the voting system. Becoming rich off the system does not mean you believe you deserve to be rich from the system.

Pretty much this.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:09:35 PM

So, why don't they give up their wealth if its so terrible to have it?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:20:33 PM
At 3/7/2013 8:09:35 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Where do you get the idea wealth is so terrible to have?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:23:12 PM
At 3/7/2013 8:20:33 PM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
At 3/7/2013 8:09:35 PM, OberHerr wrote:

The people mentioned above. Michael Moore is a great example.

I personally don't believe it of course.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:58:14 PM

Let me ask a question, but let me first clarify that I am not defending any of the three in your example. I extend it beyond those three to give a basis of being rich yet being in perfect congruency with demonetization other rich folks.

Does a man who made millions by providing a valuable service to their customers while paying a fair wage and ethically treating their vendors, employees, shareholders, have a right to criticize another millionaire who made it by selling cocaine and drugs to teenagers?

If the answer is yes, then it is all relative. Those who feel they made their money by "doing the right thing" can always critize those who did not.

Interestingly you give three people who we could argue whether they made their money by doing the "right thing", but you don't give an example such as Warren Buffet criticizing other rich folks who were against raising taxes on the rich.

Fundamentally you are thus bringing a red herring to bare.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 9:08:16 PM
At 3/7/2013 8:20:33 PM, MichaelGonzales wrote:

The mega-rich often have more stressful lives, but up to $75,000 day-to-day happiness improves, and past then overall happiness improves as well. The wealthy say that the key to happiness is good health, strong connections to family and friends, and meaningful work.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 10:50:56 AM

No one knows what Chavez's personal net worth was.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com...

Michael Moore isn't anti-Capitalism. He's anti-Corporatism.

I don't know about the birthday party thing, but if I'm not mistaken, free speech is a liberty which libertarians support, so I have no idea why doing so in one instance is any better or worse than another. If the ideas of one free speaker are poor, they are free to be demonized by another free speaker.

And, again, criticizing the oil industry does not make one anti-capitalism. It makes them anti-corruption and anti-corporatism (which may also mean they are libertarian, since these are both values which libertarians share with the left, if I'm not mistaken)

War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 10:51:42 AM

STUPIDITY (sorry...I've never been good at Simon Says)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 10:52:14 AM
At 3/7/2013 9:20:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
They don't think that wealth is inherently bad. They think that wealth gained through oppression is bad.

Pretty much this.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 11:37:08 PM
I think the manner in which wealth is acquired has a lot to do with it. If the money came easy to a person, then they tend to believe that acquiring wealth is easy, so all the attention should be on redistributing it rather than creating. Hollywood celebs are a good example, they get rich without any heavy lifting. Michael Moore got riches by spinning yarns. Guys like George Soros are so good at what they do, currency speculation in his case, that they get rich without breaking a sweat.

Hard working people tend to be conservative, because they think that creating wealth is a lot harder than redistributing it.

It's harder to explain why rich liberals are exempt from criticism. I think it is because leftism responds to the same instinct that spawns religion. The left exempts the riches of the righteous believers of their faith because they use their power and influence for the advancement of the cause. At least enough to earn the exemption.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 12:01:29 AM

Just because you support greater wealth equality through taxation does not mean you are demonizing rich people.

That doesn't sound like a criticism, it sounds like a statement of fact. You can believe that capitalism is good and still believe that 400 Americans having more money than half of all Americans is a bad situation.

Just because you criticize some of the things that oil corporations do does not mean you will go so far as to not have any dealing with people who have done dealings with them. Heck, today I purchased gasoline from a big corporation. That doesn't make me evil.
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 12:34:50 AM
At 3/12/2013 12:01:29 AM, Dan4reason wrote:

Just because you support greater wealth equality through taxation does not mean you are demonizing rich people.

That doesn't sound like a criticism, it sounds like a statement of fact. You can believe that capitalism is good and still believe that 400 Americans having more money than half of all Americans is a bad situation.

Just because you criticize some of the things that oil corporations do does not mean you will go so far as to not have any dealing with people who have done dealings with them. Heck, today I purchased gasoline from a big corporation. That doesn't make me evil.

Haha! DoubtingDave gets a response from Dan4Reason.