Just Registered to Vote!

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 7:08:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey guys,

I am proud to say that I have just registered to vote. I am proud to live in a country where my voice counts and I can vote in general elections.

Amendment XXVI
The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

I am proud to have registered as a Republican.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 7:44:19 PM
At 3/7/2013 7:08:02 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
where my voice counts

hah
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 10:49:27 PM
didnt see that one coming...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 10:51:02 PM
At 3/7/2013 7:44:19 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
where my voice counts

hah
DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 10:59:47 PM
Does registering for a specific party mean you always vote for them or is that for statistical purposes?

I'm not even sure who I voted for in the last election, I just remember their platforms :/
yang.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:00:31 PM
At 3/7/2013 10:59:47 PM, tulle wrote:
Does registering for a specific party mean you always vote for them or is that for statistical purposes?

I'm not even sure who I voted for in the last election, I just remember their platforms :/

I think it's for voting in the primaries.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:01:53 PM

Registering with a certain party means you vote in their primaries.

Some parties, like the Democratic Party, also allow independents to vote in their primaries.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:08:17 PM
At 3/7/2013 11:01:53 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Registering with a certain party means you vote in their primaries.

Some parties, like the Democratic Party, also allow independents to vote in their primaries.

Oh okay. That makes sense then.
yang.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 11:09:34 PM
At 3/7/2013 10:52:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://t0.gstatic.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 3:36:11 AM
At 3/7/2013 11:00:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

This. MD has a closed primary thing and I want to vote in the GOP primary.
The Great Wall of Fail

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 5:21:56 AM
At 3/8/2013 3:36:11 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:

I just changed my party affiliation from Republican to Independant Conservative...like yesterday afternoon. Then I switched my voter registration from New York to Georgia.

Must be a bug going around. Either that or people are getting pumped up for mid-term elections.

A Democratic seat just opened up for the taking too. I forgot which Senator it was who announced he wouldn't run for re-election. Happened yesterday.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 5:44:16 AM
At 3/8/2013 5:21:56 AM, Heineken wrote:
At 3/8/2013 3:36:11 AM, DoubtingDave wrote:

I just changed my party affiliation from Republican to Independant Conservative...like yesterday afternoon. Then I switched my voter registration from New York to Georgia.

Must be a bug going around. Either that or people are getting pumped up for mid-term elections.

A Democratic seat just opened up for the taking too. I forgot which Senator it was who announced he wouldn't run for re-election. Happened yesterday.

Welcome to Ga. I miss the north, but it's serene being stuck here atm.
Thanks for the heads up about the seat, I'll definitely be looking into my options and leave a vote.
If my vote doesn't count at least I can say I tried and it would be a statistic in some sense as well.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 6:26:42 AM
Hey guys,

I am proud to say that I have just registered to vote. I am proud to live in a country where my voice counts and I can vote in general elections.

Amendment XXVI
The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

When someone young claims to be conservative they have no heart. Part of a conservative truth.
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 6:51:18 AM
At 3/8/2013 6:26:42 AM, logicrules wrote:
Hey guys,

Amendment XXVI

When someone young claims to be conservative they have no heart. Part of a conservative truth.

......explain this.....this....."thing" you just said.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 9:23:35 AM
At 3/8/2013 6:51:18 AM, Heineken wrote:
Hey guys,

Amendment XXVI

......explain this.....this....."thing" you just said.

Paraphrase of Churchill....A young conservative has no heart, but an old liberal has no brain.
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 11:00:43 AM

If you're a registered Democrat, you can still vote for people of other parties. However, during primary elections, you can only vote for the party you're registered with. I can't vote in the Republican primaries because I'm a registered Democrat...Which is kind of gay, 'cause I would want to best of each party running for the job. Not Mitt Romney.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 11:14:24 AM
@michaelg---yeah. In Canada we vote in all elections, including the ones for the party leaders, no matter which party you support. Because it should be about maximizing the best person for the job, regardless of affiliation.

I originally said the US system makes sense but now that I think about it, it doesn't. Why bother voting for someone else when you had no say in them to begin with? :/
yang.
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 11:15:46 AM
At 3/8/2013 11:14:24 AM, tulle wrote:
@michaelg---yeah. In Canada we vote in all elections, including the ones for the party leaders, no matter which party you support. Because it should be about maximizing the best person for the job, regardless of affiliation.

I originally said the US system makes sense but now that I think about it, it doesn't. Why bother voting for someone else when you had no say in them to begin with? :/

It kind of becomes a lesser-of-two-evils argument, but that point aside. Our problem is the electoral college system.

Here's a fun education video. <:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 4:04:09 PM

Wouldn't people vote for the weaker candidate in the opposing party, as to give their candidate a better chance?
If I followed what you said correctly.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 4:10:03 PM
Your vote might not matter, but it feels good when your guy wins, I voted for Murdoch over Lugar in the primary last year and we successfully ousted a long term establishment politician. Murdoch proceeded to make a political gaff and lose, but still glad to get lugar out of there
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 4:11:17 PM
Hey guys,

Amendment XXVI

Makes no sense. the full quote is:

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains."
The Great Wall of Fail

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 5:29:08 PM
At 3/8/2013 4:04:09 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Wouldn't people vote for the weaker candidate in the opposing party, as to give their candidate a better chance?
If I followed what you said correctly.

I don't think so... I don't think people here have such strong convictions of a party regardless of their platform :/
yang.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 5:38:26 PM
At 3/8/2013 5:21:56 AM, Heineken wrote:

I forgot which Senator it was who announced he wouldn't run for re-election. Happened yesterday.

Carl Levin.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 6:40:59 PM
Hey guys,

Amendment XXVI

Ya, I have been voting quite awhile. Let me know how that "vote counts" works out for ya after voting for 30 years like I have. Here is what voting does. If you vote for one guy the govt will grow slower if you vote for the other guy it will grow faster. But govt will never get smaller or undo anything. It will only replace what it did with something else 100 times more costly. Hate to burst your voting bubble. But that's the way it is. Don't belive me? One quick look at the history of US govt will prove I am without any doubt or debate absolutely and categorically correct. I dont even need to put a source. Anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty can see the painfully obvious.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 9:50:08 AM
At 3/8/2013 4:11:17 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Hey guys,

Amendment XXVI

Makes no sense. the full quote is:

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains."

Sure it makes sense....notice absence of quotation marks and the presence of both subject and predicate. However, your quote sounds close, though I doubt Churchill said brains...he was far too posh.