Jump to topic:

Concealed weapons on college campuses

1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:03:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Right now the hot issue at my university is whether to allow conceal and carry weapons onto university grounds. Today they ran a piece in the newspaper against such measures. They stated the potential discharge of the weapon, the gun could be used against someone else or used by the owner for their own suicide. The chief security executive also cited cases where even trained police officers have nearly missed their targets, potentially injuring innocent bystanders, making it more dangerous to let students carry weapons. Other students that I hear from always say that if someone loses their temper they cant pull out a weapon and hurt someone.

Aren't these good enough reasons to forbid concealed weapons on campus?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:08:50 PM
At 3/12/2013 3:03:15 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Right now the hot issue at my university is whether to allow conceal and carry weapons onto university grounds. Today they ran a piece in the newspaper against such measures. They stated the potential discharge of the weapon, the gun could be used against someone else
The rules won't stop that. There are already laws against murder...
or used by the owner for their own suicide.
So what?
The chief security executive also cited cases where even trained police officers have nearly missed their targets, potentially injuring innocent bystanders, making it more dangerous to let students carry weapons.

Ban the police!!!

Other students that I hear from always say that if someone loses their temper they cant pull out a weapon and hurt someone.

If someone wanted to bring a gun, they would bring a gun. There would just be no one to stop him when he does.
No.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
ConservativeAmerican
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:13:53 PM
Right now the hot issue at my university is whether to allow conceal and carry weapons onto university grounds. Today they ran a piece in the newspaper against such measures. They stated the potential discharge of the weapon, the gun could be used against someone else or used by the owner for their own suicide. The chief security executive also cited cases where even trained police officers have nearly missed their targets, potentially injuring innocent bystanders, making it more dangerous to let students carry weapons. Other students that I hear from always say that if someone loses their temper they cant pull out a weapon and hurt someone.

Are they going to have tight security and metal detectors to enforce this banishment of guns?

If not, it's another worthless mandate that will have no real effect.

Even if there are metal detectors, a campus is too large, people will find ways around it as they always do.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:55:50 PM
They were having that debate at my school a while back.
Concealed carry could have potentially thwarted the Virginia Tech shooter, I don't see why licenses shouldn't extend to universities. People that carry are really everywhere and don't cause problems. I think you'd be extremely surprised if you realized how many people in the general public are armed.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:58:29 PM
Realistically, the chances of dying on a college campus with some mixture of cars and alcohol would be thousands of times more likely than an "accidental discharge..."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 4:03:51 PM
At 3/12/2013 3:58:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Realistically, the chances of dying on a college campus with some mixture of cars and alcohol would be thousands of times more likely than an "accidental discharge..."

That phrase sounds so unnecessarily dirty...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 4:06:19 PM
At 3/12/2013 4:03:51 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/12/2013 3:58:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

That phrase sounds so unnecessarily dirty...

plus all the STD's
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:54:50 AM
How often do people holding concealed carry permits to any of things listed by critics as hazards? The statistics are available to answer that question. In the State of Washington there was one gun crime by a permit holder in fifty years of issuing the permits. In Florida, none of the concealed carry permit holders have committed a gun crime, although a handful committed other crimes.

From those data, the incidence seems to me to be about one in 500,000 issues permits. If anyone has better numbers I'm open it. Getting a concealed carry permit requires a background check and completion of a training course. Some states require proving to the State that you have a need to carry a gun, so there are few permits, but other states only require passing the check and completing the training.

When concealed carry is banned on campus, the campus becomes an obvious target for nutcase killers. Statistics show that killers in fact victimize gun-free zones almost exclusively. They do not like have anyone shooting back, and often commit suicide when confronted by an armed person.

I think a campus is much safer with permitted concealed carry.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 10:13:23 AM
Right now the hot issue at my university is whether to allow conceal and carry weapons onto university grounds. Today they ran a piece in the newspaper against such measures.
3 cheers for propanda in our schools! Hip hip! Booo! Hip hip! Boooo!!! Hip hip! Booooo!!!!!!
They stated the potential discharge of the weapon, the gun could be used against someone else or used by the owner for their own suicide.
As could a knife, hammer, or any other sharp and/or blunt object.
The hells angels are known for using ball pean hammers as weapons, because they can carry it without a permit, it's not as traceable, and if a cop finds it on you, they can't prove you intended to use it as a weapon. You can also bring hammers into no gun zones.

Kids cut themselves all the time. (see "cut for bieber") Maybe we should ban rope from college campuses due to autoerotic asphyxiation deaths.

The chief security executive also cited cases where even trained police officers have nearly missed their targets, potentially injuring innocent bystanders, making it more dangerous to let students carry weapons.
Therefore Police officers should not carry fire arms. Yeah, it's that kind of logic.

Other students that I hear from always say that if someone loses their temper they cant pull out a weapon and hurt someone.

Sure they can, they can pull out a knife. They can also run you over with their car (my uncle died in a bar parking lot that way). Also, wouldn't this act as a deterent against the jocks and bigger students from beating up the smaller and weaker students? A friend of mine in Florda was killed when a rival football team crashed a party and started beating kids up. Many of the kids was injured, and my friend was killed when he was trying to help someone who was hurt. No weapons were involved, just football players throwing their weight around at a pregame party; still people died and the football players were trialed for murder.

No.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle