Jump to topic:

Sen. Rob Portman's Gay Son

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 3:20:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH), a conservative US Senator has come out in favour of same-sex marriage since is son, Will, a JR at Yale, has announced he is gay.

http://americablog.com...

Surprise surprise.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 5:46:14 PM
Ya I just watched the interview on CNN, republicans need to drop gay marriage as an issue, its not going to become a winning issue going forward.

I don't forsee telling my grandkids in 50 years, 'ya I remember when we almost allowed gay marriage, but lucky for us rick santorum and some backwards thinking republicans stopped it'.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 6:01:24 PM
At 3/15/2013 5:46:14 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Ya I just watched the interview on CNN, republicans need to drop gay marriage as an issue, its not going to become a winning issue going forward.

I don't forsee telling my grandkids in 50 years, 'ya I remember when we almost allowed gay marriage, but lucky for us rick santorum and some backwards thinking republicans stopped it'.

Do you merely view opposition to same-sex marriage as a losing proposition for the right, or do you recognize that gays should enjoy the civil liberty of being allowed to marry? Or, are you one of those "libertarians" who paradoxically balks at the very concept of civil liberties? (Btw, I have a new post going in the History section dealing with this exact question, and more broadly, with the nature of the conservative/libertarian's commitment to freedom, you might perhaps wish to check it out, http://www.debate.org... )
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 6:50:02 PM
At 3/15/2013 6:01:24 PM, charleslb wrote:

Do you merely view opposition to same-sex marriage as a losing proposition for the right, or do you recognize that gays should enjoy the civil liberty of being allowed to marry? Or, are you one of those "libertarians" who paradoxically balks at the very concept of civil liberties? (Btw, I have a new post going in the History section dealing with this exact question, and more broadly, with the nature of the conservative/libertarian's commitment to freedom, you might perhaps wish to check it out, http://www.debate.org... )

I am guessing that he is fine with same sex marriage. Libertarians usually believe that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want, unless it infringes on the rights of others. This means people have the right to engage in voluntary, mutually beneficial exchanges in the marketplace (free markets), and freely associate with others and act how they wish in their personal lives (social freedom).

At least, this is the view that I, and I believe most libertarians have.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 7:07:47 PM
At 3/15/2013 6:50:02 PM, Contra wrote:

I am guessing that he is fine with same sex marriage. Libertarians usually believe that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want, unless it infringes on the rights of others. This means people have the right to engage in voluntary, mutually beneficial exchanges in the marketplace (free markets), and freely associate with others and act how they wish in their personal lives (social freedom).

You mean that it's your ideological shtick, a bit of lofty ideological shtick that masks and ennobles the "libertarian's" atomizing egoistic individualism, and social-Darwinian indifference to the plight of his neighbor when the market's dynamics wreck his well-being. Yep, I was already aware of that. In fact this is something that I examine in critical depth in my abovementioned new post, you might wish to give it a read.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 7:11:49 PM
At 3/15/2013 7:07:47 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 3/15/2013 6:50:02 PM, Contra wrote:

You mean that it's your ideological shtick, a bit of lofty ideological shtick that masks and ennobles the "libertarian's" atomizing egoistic individualism, and social-Darwinian indifference to the plight of his neighbor when the market's dynamics wreck his well-being. Yep, I was already aware of that. In fact this is something that I examine in critical depth in my abovementioned new post, you might wish to give it a read.

I might in a minute. But I find your way of thinking laughable. The greater production of goods is somehow going to make the poor worse off. Right. A society full of more abundant wealth makes people poorer. Sure.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 8:00:04 PM
At 3/15/2013 7:48:14 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Interesting how he does not care how the issue of gay marriage affects others until it affects his life.

Don't you think majority of anti-gay marriage republicans are the same? As he said he really didn't pay much attention to it, he voted against same sex marriage on the party line but didn't really have strong feelings either way. Obviously when it becomes personal they have something to say about it.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 8:00:59 PM
I will never fathom why the religious right feels entitled to a claim to the concept of marriage. Hello... there's other churches besides yours!
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2013 8:12:00 PM
At 3/15/2013 8:00:59 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I will never fathom why the religious right feels entitled to a claim to the concept of marriage. Hello... there's other churches besides yours!

I don't get it either, hopefully Rick Santorum keeps harping on it and gets knocked out of the 2016 primary before it even starts.

DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 9:49:47 AM
At 3/15/2013 8:12:00 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/15/2013 8:00:59 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I don't get it either, hopefully Rick Scumtorum keeps harping on it and gets knocked out of the 2016 primary before it even starts.

Fixed.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 9:32:50 PM
At 3/15/2013 3:20:39 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH), a conservative US Senator has come out in favour of same-sex marriage since is son, Will, a JR at Yale, has announced he is gay.

http://americablog.com...

Surprise surprise.

It's a promising sign, but I can't imagine what that kid's life must have been like before his father's change of heart. The question I always ask of people who oppose gay rights is simple: "What if we were talking about your brother, sister, son or daughter?" It's usually a fairly effective strategy -but the idea is not to win the argument. The goal is to open hearts and open minds.
Tsar of DDO