Jump to topic:

One-Term Presidents of the 20th Century

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:02:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am of the belief that one-term presidents last century were the best presidents in terms of their policies not having long term negative effects on the country.

Nixon
Ford
Carter
Bush 41 (could have won reelection if he decided to extend his very popular war)

The exceptions to this rule were Kennedy/Johnson, but Kennedy was popular enough, despite being a horrible president (a la Obama), that he surely would have been reelected.

Johnson would have been OK if not for being such a horrible warmonger.

Thoughts?
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:15:13 AM
Rofl, Carter.

Good man, good morals, probably a nice grandpa, horrible president.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:17:11 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:15:13 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Rofl, Carter.

dropped the temperature in federal buildings (which subsequently dropped it in all buildings) from 70 to 68 and saved this country billions of dollars in doing so.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:22:01 AM
also, the situation at the end of Carter's presidency was EXACTLY the same as the situation at the end of Ford's.

(the other thing they have in common, neither sent troops overseas to initiate or fight any sort of military conflict/war. They are the only presidents of the 20th century for which that is true)

why aren't you rofl re: Ford?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:30:00 AM
Cause Ford basically got screwed with a job he didn't neccsaryily want, and wasn't all too prepared for. Carter chose it.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:32:21 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:17:11 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
Rofl, Carter.

dropped the temperature in federal buildings (which subsequently dropped it in all buildings) from 70 to 68 and saved this country billions of dollars in doing so.

Florida, Texas, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Hawaii.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:32:53 AM
Rofl, Carter.

Why?
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:37:20 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:30:00 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Cause Ford basically got screwed with a job he didn't neccsaryily want, and wasn't all too prepared for. Carter chose it.

Ford didn't get screwed. The economy was GREAT when he was sworn in (there's a reason that Nixon absolutely crush McGovern, and did so during the very active Watergate scandal, in a victory which was the most lopsided electoral win of all time until Reagan beat it...the economy was booming).

And, he did run for reelection, so he didn't seem to mind the job after he got it (and, there are plenty of incumbents who didn't keep running until they lost or maxed out, and even some in the 20th century)

The reason I think these men were great is the same reason why they all lost reelection - instead of doing the popular thing, they did the right thing for the country, and because this thing usually involved sacrifice, they lost.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:40:19 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:32:21 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Rofl, Carter.

Florida, Texas, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Hawaii.

North Dakota, Montana, Alaska, etc, etc, etc

Also, it's only Southern California where this is an issue. As far as Louisiana, Alabama, Nevada and Mississippi go, there's a reason none of these states have an NFL team - they lack the population to sustain one. The offset for air conditioning is much less than the overall savings in normal temperature states.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:45:50 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:40:19 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/20/2013 1:32:21 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Rofl, Carter.

North Dakota, Montana, Alaska, etc, etc, etc

Also, it's only Southern California where this is an issue. As far as Louisiana, Alabama, Nevada and Mississippi go, there's a reason none of these states have an NFL team - they lack the population to sustain one. The offset for air conditioning is much less than the overall savings in normal temperature states.

........ok, so you may have heard about this team called the New Orleans Saints. They kinda won a Super Bowl not to far back.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:49:45 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:37:20 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

Ford didn't get screwed. The economy was GREAT when he was sworn in (there's a reason that Nixon absolutely crush McGovern, and did so during the very active Watergate scandal, in a victory which was the most lopsided electoral win of all time until Reagan beat it...the economy was booming).

What does this prove?

And, he did run for reelection, so he didn't seem to mind the job after he got it (and, there are plenty of incumbents who didn't keep running until they lost or maxed out, and even some in the 20th century)

Some. Not many. And people pressure other people. Not saying he probably didn't like being president though.

The reason I think these men were great is the same reason why they all lost reelection - instead of doing the popular thing, they did the right thing for the country, and because this thing usually involved sacrifice, they lost.

GWB definitely did not do the popular thing. Lots of presidents don't do the popular thing. And what were all these unpopular things people did that were so helpful? From what I've read, they kinda sucked economically.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 3:05:21 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:49:45 AM, OberHerr wrote:

What does this prove?

Some. Not many. And people pressure other people. Not saying he probably didn't like being president though.

GWB definitely did not do the popular thing. Lots of presidents don't do the popular thing. And what were all these unpopular things people did that were so helpful? From what I've read, they kinda sucked economically.

They didn't suck, economically. The economy went into a down cycle at the end of their presidencies.

http://www.ritholtz.com...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com...

(OK...HW Bush did kinda suck, but I think that's more Reagan's fault than his)

Notice that Carter had one of the highest GDP growth rates of any president this century, and that he also dropped the national debt.

Add that to the fact that he sent no soldier overseas to be killed, and explain to me again why he was such a bad president?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 5:20:35 AM
At 3/20/2013 3:05:21 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/20/2013 1:49:45 AM, OberHerr wrote:

What does this prove?

They didn't suck, economically. The economy went into a down cycle at the end of their presidencies.

http://www.ritholtz.com...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com...

(OK...HW Bush did kinda suck, but I think that's more Reagan's fault than his)

Notice that Carter had one of the highest GDP growth rates of any president this century, and that he also dropped the national debt.

Add that to the fact that he sent no soldier overseas to be killed, and explain to me again why he was such a bad president?

It's obvious why people consider him to be a bad president. He supports human rights. We can't have that!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 10:17:18 AM
At 3/20/2013 1:02:01 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
I am of the belief that one-term presidents last century were the best presidents in terms of their policies not having long term negative effects on the country.

Nixon- Terrible
Ford- Terrible
Carter- Worst president in American history
Bush 41 (could have won reelection if he decided to extend his very popular war)- weak.

The exceptions to this rule were Kennedy/Johnson, but Kennedy was popular enough, despite being a horrible president (a la Obama), that he surely would have been reelected.

Thoughts?
Tsar of DDO
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 10:46:13 AM
At 3/20/2013 5:20:35 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
It's obvious why people consider him to be a bad president. He supports human rights. We can't have that!

Human rights are for communists!

Anyway, something to do with the Iranian hostage crisis me thinks?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 2:24:21 PM
At 3/20/2013 10:46:13 AM, MichaelGonzales wrote:

https://www.youtube.com...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 2:46:12 PM
I ask Congress to give me authority for mandatory conservation and for standby gasoline rationing. To further conserve energy, I'm proposing tonight an extra $10 billion over the next decade to strengthen our public transportation systems. And I'm asking you for your good and for your nation's security to take no unnecessary trips, to use carpools or public transportation whenever you can, to park your car one extra day per week, to obey the speed limit, and to set your thermostats to save fuel. Every act of energy conservation like this is more than just common sense -- I tell you it is an act of patriotism.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 3:10:07 PM

Nixon
Ford
Carter
Bush 41 (could have won reelection if he decided to extend his very popular war)

Thoughts?

Nixon was a 2 term president.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 3:23:57 PM

Nixon
Ford
Carter

Thoughts?

Nixon,... really?

For one, are you aware that there was a peace plan between Hanoi and Saigon 4 days before the election of 1968, while Nixon was running for president? Are you aware that Lyndon Johnson announced that the war was set to conclude, and that such conclusion would have undermined Nixon's campaign? Now, are you also aware that Nixon contacted one of the sides and persuaded it to reject the deal, thus extending the war an additional 5 years... just so he could be president?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
BigRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 3:58:55 PM

Human rights are for communists?

Nice attempt to be cute, but communist governments are to blame for many of the most atrocious violations of human rights.

And, even communist thinkers, like Marx himself, always advocated the furthering of communism and marxist ideas over human rights. If human rights had to be violated to further marxism, then so be it.

Given all of this, you should be saying "Human rights are for capitalists!".

As for Carter, he was a bad president because of the stagflation that occurred under him as well as his thoroughly uninspiring foreign policy that really wasn't strong enough to achieve any pro USA ends.

I don't think he was that bad of a president. He even did some good things like deregulating an overregulated airline industry and (I believe) cut capital gains taxes. He is to thank for beginning many of the regulatory rollbacks and pro market policies that were accelerated under Reagan and contributed to the good economic performance of the 1980s and 90s.

Nixon was, by far, a much worse president with awful economic policies. You can't judge a president's economic policies by the GDP growth rate that occurred under that president. You need to look at the actual policies and see if they were pro growth or not. High taxes, large public spending, lots of regulations, and protectionism are not pro growth... the opposite is pro growth. Usually, we can see the policies reflected in the growth under a given president (Reagan had good policies and good growth and Obama has had bad, statist policies and bad growth). But, for instance, LBJ had terrible policies and solid growth.

Outside factors matter a lot and should never be ignored.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 5:25:38 PM
At 3/20/2013 3:23:57 PM, 000ike wrote:

Nixon
Ford
Carter

Thoughts?

Nixon,... really?

For one, are you aware that there was a peace plan between Hanoi and Saigon 4 days before the election of 1968, while Nixon was running for president? Are you aware that Lyndon Johnson announced that the war was set to conclude, and that such conclusion would have undermined Nixon's campaign? Now, are you also aware that Nixon contacted one of the sides and persuaded it to reject the deal, thus extending the war an additional 5 years... just so he could be president?

Are you aware that Nixon's domestic policies greatly favored the working class, especially as compared to Kennedy/Johnson?

Are you aware that Nixon created the EPA?

Are you aware that Nixon, by appeasing China through trade kept us from getting crushed in The Cold War?

Are you aware that Nixon proposed a health plan in '71 that was more comprehensive than the ACA that we're being straddled with by Obama?

Yeah...I'd have rather have gotten the pre-crazy, paranoid, dirty Nixon who ran in '60, but TV kinda f*cked that up, so we ended up with psycho Nixon.

Even with all that crazy, he was probably the greatest president of the 20th century.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 5:26:21 PM
At 3/20/2013 3:10:07 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Nixon
Ford
Carter

Thoughts?

Nixon was a 2 term president.

Yeah...he gets the asterisk after his name like Maris's home run record.

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 5:49:21 PM
At 3/20/2013 5:25:38 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/20/2013 3:23:57 PM, 000ike wrote:

Nixon
Ford
Carter

Thoughts?

Nixon,... really?

Are you aware that Nixon's domestic policies greatly favored the working class, especially as compared to Kennedy/Johnson?

Are you aware that Nixon created the EPA?

Are you aware that Nixon, by appeasing China through trade kept us from getting crushed in The Cold War?

Are you aware that Nixon proposed a health plan in '71 that was more comprehensive than the ACA that we're being straddled with by Obama?

Yeah...I'd have rather have gotten the pre-crazy, paranoid, dirty Nixon who ran in '60, but TV kinda f*cked that up, so we ended up with psycho Nixon.

Even with all that crazy, he was probably the greatest president of the 20th century.

I'll agree with you on Nixon but not on Bush 41...that was was popular precisely because it was NOT EXTENDED. Dubya was also immensely popular after "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" and look at what extending the war got him.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 7:38:56 PM
I don't think Nixon was all that bad either.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 1:23:03 AM
Nixon was elected to a second term an resigned half way through it. Nixon was very much a mixed bag. He opened diplomatic relations with China, originated the Environmental Protection Agency and the Occupational Health and Safety Agency, imposed wage and price controls, ended the war in Vietnam in a way that cost 2 million lives post war, made an "enemies list" of opponents that he used government power to punish, and engaged in obstruction of justice that led to the scandal that drove him from office.

Carter was a bad president because he artificially created a severe oil shortage in the US (while the rest of the world had no shortage), ruined the economy, and destroyed US credibility in foreign affairs. He failed to resolve the Iranian hostage crisis. (Iran gave in when Reagan took office.) Carter was an incompetent executive who obsessed over details while missing the big picture -- the famous example was his personally scheduling the White House tennis courts. When Carter was running for re-election, Time Magazine published an article that proposed replacing the presidency with three executive offices, because the job was too big for any one person to manage. The country was horribly dispirited when Reagan took office.

Recently, two biographies of Calvin Coolidge have been published promoting Coolidge as the most underrated president. "Silent Cal" was a great communicator -- giving 600 press conferences and writing a weekly newspaper column. His policies produced the boom times of the 20s, and if kept in force would have avoided the Depression. Or at least that's what's claimed. I dunno. Coolidge took office when Harding died, and was elected to a full term of his own.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 1:35:35 AM

Are you a real socialist/communist or are you the fake kind that believes in government?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 1:40:34 AM
At 3/21/2013 1:23:03 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Nixon was elected to a second term an resigned half way through it. Nixon was very much a mixed bag. He opened diplomatic relations with China, originated the Environmental Protection Agency and the Occupational Health and Safety Agency, imposed wage and price controls, ended the war in Vietnam in a way that cost 2 million lives post war, made an "enemies list" of opponents that he used government power to punish, and engaged in obstruction of justice that led to the scandal that drove him from office.

Carter was a bad president because he artificially created a severe oil shortage in the US (while the rest of the world had no shortage), ruined the economy, and destroyed US credibility in foreign affairs. He failed to resolve the Iranian hostage crisis. (Iran gave in when Reagan took office.) Carter was an incompetent executive who obsessed over details while missing the big picture -- the famous example was his personally scheduling the White House tennis courts. When Carter was running for re-election, Time Magazine published an article that proposed replacing the presidency with three executive offices, because the job was too big for any one person to manage. The country was horribly dispirited when Reagan took office.

Recently, two biographies of Calvin Coolidge have been published promoting Coolidge as the most underrated president. "Silent Cal" was a great communicator -- giving 600 press conferences and writing a weekly newspaper column. His policies produced the boom times of the 20s, and if kept in force would have avoided the Depression. Or at least that's what's claimed. I dunno. Coolidge took office when Harding died, and was elected to a full term of his own.

Wait... how old are you again?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 3:51:16 AM

Carter was a bad president because he artificially created a severe oil shortage in the US (while the rest of the world had no shortage),

Huh? I think you're confusing Carter with OPEC. They dropped exports because of the deflation of the dollar, which was primarily due to Nixon's ending the pseudo gold standard of the time (more of the stupid reaction to the move by the market, but whatever)

ruined the economy,

I guess you missed the 5%+ growth rate the US enjoyed for the majority of Carter's presidency (as the national debt continued to drop

http://www.econedlink.org...

and destroyed US credibility in foreign affairs.

How? Was it when he removed all the nukes from S. Korea, or when he single-handedly stopped the Middle East from plunging into war with The Camp David Accords?

He failed to resolve the Iranian hostage crisis. (Iran gave in when Reagan took office.)

Yeah...arms for hostages...what a great idea!!!

Carter was an incompetent executive who obsessed over details while missing the big picture -- the famous example was his personally scheduling the White House tennis courts.

Carter was a nuclear physicist and a genius.

When Carter was running for re-election, Time Magazine published an article that proposed replacing the presidency with three executive offices, because the job was too big for any one person to manage.

There are several reasons why this is a good idea, checks on executive power being chief among them.

The country was horribly dispirited when Reagan took office.

Have you seen his movies?

and destroyed the agricultural industry and allowed the speculative investments that lead to the crash of '29, as well as ushered in the age of Corporatism.

Revisionist history - gotta love it.

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 7:24:32 PM

Roy and I are old enough to remember Carter. An important part of the job of the president is to make the people feel good, even in bad times. Clinton did this. Carter and Obama make people feel like the end is near.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 12:05:32 AM
At 3/21/2013 7:24:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Roy and I are old enough to remember Carter. An important part of the job of the president is to make the people feel good, even in bad times. Clinton did this. Carter and Obama make people feel like the end is near.

I'm sorry...I missed the part of the constitution where it states that one of the duties of the president is to "make people feel good in bad times".

It's been a while since I read it, though.

Ask not what your country can do for you...etc, etc, etc